XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant leak resolved

Old 11-08-2013, 04:08 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default coolant leak resolved

Shortly after replacing the timing chains, et al, a coolant leak became evident. At first, I thought it was the octopus hose. A close look revealed the leak was in a three way (octopus hose to the heater hose from under the intake manifold and to the throttle body) connecter somewhat under the throttle body.

After taking off the expansion tank, getting the clamps off presented the biggest PIA. I could barely get the pliers on the claims with various sharp edges from the mounting brackets digging into my arm. Getting the NORMA connector off, using 2 screwdrivers was actually easier. The part was all of $5.40, and reinstalling it went rather smoothly using screw clamps. From the picture, you can see that this connector had been previously repaired. The nipple for the hose going to the throttle body had apparently broken off, and another length of plastic glued into place. I managed to get the job done without removing the throttle body, but the sharp edges really dug into my hands and arms in the process.

This beautiful car is becoming a money pit. I've already spent about and additional 1/3 of what I paid for it in repairs, and I still have the roof to repair, as well as replace the missing glove compartment release handle, as well as several buttons from the electrical seat and window switches.

Attached Thumbnails coolant leak resolved-octopus-connector001.jpg  

Last edited by sharay38; 11-08-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Hey, I know what you mean about the $$$$$. I felt exactly the same when my repairs hit the half way mark to the purchase price. I was almost ready to throw in the towel and get rid of it. I managed to finally get most of the major things done and I've been able to drive it without worry for a while now. I did just change the trans filter and fluid , best thing I did, preventative measure. Just remember your rectifying previous owners neglect and like a rescue pup, they love you more than a brand new pure breed!!
Don't get beat down! It's worth it once all is done. Then you've got miles and miles of heavenly driving!!

Last edited by philhef; 11-08-2013 at 07:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sharay38 (11-12-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default New sticky thread? Would love to see this!!

I've always wondered why there isn't a sticky for car photos for all of the models on their pages just for members to post pics. . I've used the album and garage pages but how easy to simply click on the sticky and scroll through pics of everyone's cars.
I cruised the albums to get ideas but it was a bit of a pain to get back and forth to the pages.
If there is one already I'm not seeing, head me in the right direction!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by philhef
Hey, I know what you mean about the $$$$$. I felt exactly the same when my repairs hit the half way mark to the purchase price. I was almost ready to throw in the towel and get rid of it. I managed to finally get most of the major things done and I've been able to drive it without worry for a while now. I did just change the trans filter and fluid , best thing I did, preventative measure. Just remember your rectifying previous owners neglect and like a rescue pup, they love you more than a brand new pure breed!!
Don't get beat down! It's worth it once all is done. Then you've got miles and miles of heavenly driving!!
Thanx for your encouraging words. I haven't given up on her yet! Since the roof didn't work when purchased, repairing that & enjoying a few topless miles is absolutely mandatory. Especially for the Wife! Given the time of year, we'll have to keep her at least 6 more months. I actually got the "Cub" for the Wife, who absolutely loves it. And, she does let me drive it - when it needs gas.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know exactly what you mean. These cards do seem to be a money pit. I'm convincing myself it will be worth it !

Old 11-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Sorry you're having so many issues, but hang in there, it will get better. I see by your sig line you have some experience with Jags, so you probably already know this. Once you get it sorted out, it will be reliable and very enjoyable.

These cars are extremely rewarding to drive and mine brings a smile on my face very time. Yours will too soon.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by steventoon
I know exactly what you mean. These cards do seem to be a money pit. I'm convincing myself it will be worth it !
You're right! My XJ's had convinced me, which is part of the justification for getting the XK.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Sorry you're having so many issues, but hang in there, it will get better. I see by your sig line you have some experience with Jags, so you probably already know this. Once you get it sorted out, it will be reliable and very enjoyable.

These cars are extremely rewarding to drive and mine brings a smile on my face very time. Yours will too soon.
You're right, too. I guess I was spoiled by the 2 XJ's, one of which I've had for 13 years, the other 6 years. With 3 drivers in the house, going in different directions every day, it's been fortunate that I didn't get rid of one while I get the problems sorted out with the XK.

I'm most anxious to see the smile on Wife's face next spring once she's able to drive her "Cub" top down.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Jag#4, you said it well. Many people have heard me express, 'every time I see my car, I smile... or - just driving it makes me happy!'

Lucky us, eh?!

Sandy

Old 11-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Philhef, I agree. When I was facing a repair cost of half the value of my car, I hesitated.

Not for long - like, what other vehicle would I be able to purchase with that money? Nothing like investing in this gorgeous car.

Plus... in my case, I knew it was just a matter of catch up from some neglect and non-Jag owner decisions on the maintenance.

Lesson - never ask someone else to make decisions unless they know Jags!

Enjoy your ride,

Sandy