XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs Convertible!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Coupe vs Convertible!

While I was servicing a customer's XK8 Coupe, I had the opportunity to drive it a fair distance while diagnosing some issues. I couldn't get over how different a coupe feels from my roadster! This isn't the first coupe I have had the pleasure to drive, but it is the first since I purchased my own convertible. The interior seems so much roomier, and the car just feels "larger" than it is! Of course, I love my convert! Nothing like an open car for me. But, I could see room for a coupe in the same garage! What a nice, elegant automobile!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

And no prospect of a "green shower" either. The XKR coupe is superb, but both cars are lovely.

Best wishes, Colin

Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by chopr
What a nice, elegant automobile!
I must agree!

Attached Thumbnails Coupe vs Convertible!-myxkr09b.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Argh, don't remind me! This is probably the greatest quandary of the XK8 / XKR forum... both have great attributes. It's hard to pick just one. It's better to have both!

My wife said no.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (02-11-2017)
Old 03-31-2013, 11:22 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Coupes are harder to find though. Still glad I never had the possibility of the green shower and the other things that come along with the conv.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I went coupé for the following reasons:

- more common than convertible here in Europe, so wider choice
- cheaper to buy and insure
- marginally more room in the back (though I guess this is academic)
- stiffer chassis
- no problems with green shower/vandalism, etc.
- although the convertible looks superb with the roof down, I have a slight issue with the way the roof sits all 'crumpled up' and proud of the body

If I lived in sunnier climes I would almost certainly have gone with the convertible. I think it looks classier than the coupé, but maybe this is just because it's less common where I am?

Old 04-01-2013, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

This time last year we were driving through countryside just south of here with the top down and hearing nothing (apart from a bit of exhaust burble) but the song of literally hundreds of nightingales. Worth buying the car just to experience that and, later in the year, the scent of honeysuckle on a warm summer evening.
Has the top down once this year but at 2°C it isn't green shower time just yet!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Living in sunny Spain, the convertible was a no-brainer decision for me. Although since I bought it three weeks ago it has been raining ever since.

I certainly agree on that the only correct answer to the question is to get one of each. At least I would if I could. Having to choose, I'd say Coupe if aesthetics, safety, cold climate or frequent visits to racing tracks enters the equation. But that's not my case, so the choice was easy.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:53 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Driving with the top down on a summer night and seeing the heavens above me, conv hits the spot.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I admit I am partial to the coupe...

Attached Thumbnails Coupe vs Convertible!-jag_spreadb950sharp.jpg   Coupe vs Convertible!-jag_spreada950sharp.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

I've finally admitted to myself that I don't make any such decision rationally, never really have. Sole criterion: which one will make me smile more?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,347 Likes on 725 Posts

You're more in touch with your feminine side than most, Dennis.

I didn't get to make the choice. Dad's friend was selling the car, he really wanted to exchange it for my pop's VDP. Instead he bought the XK8 and kept the VDP. By the time I was old enough to drive, dad bought himself an 07 XK and gave me this car to shuffle around until we could agree on an appropriate car for me. College began, dad got into an economic slump so he told me to keep it since I've taken such good care of it. (It runs better than both of his VDPs.)

Sometimes I wish I had the coupe, if no more than to see what it is like. I've only ever seen one coupe. I've even seen more of the newer ones, and I certainly enjoyed driving the XK. It is worlds different, but I'll never trade that classic jaguar smell, ride, and having the heavens over me. I live in the perfect climate so I can open it almost daily. I still find myself longing for the exhaust note on his XK.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've just bought a soft top XKR to replace my coupe (I still have the coupe so will have both for a short time I can't say as I'm completely sold on the soft top, the screen cantrail is lower and I find myself having to stoop a little to look through it (I'm only 5'10")
The car feels to have had a lot of stiffness added to the chassis, it shakes a little and handles differently to the coupe, not worse, just different.
I guess the real test will be when the sun finally comes out and I can enjoy some roof down time.
I was really torn between the two, but spotted an R drop top at a price I couldn't refuse.
If I don't like it I'll just have to sell it on and get another coupe.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Ask my wife, she will say Convertible, my opinion Coupe is better.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

The convertible is hands down one of the nicest looking convertibles in the history of convertibles. The coupe looks nicer than the vert with the top up, but with the top down (how the car is meant to be driven) the vert is easily much better looking.

If I wanted a track car I'd get the coupe. It's my daily driver and I'm in California, so the vert is hands down the easy winner.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:48 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

long, lean lines, and impressive booty. coupe slays for me.

CRHINO (02-17-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 02:23 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

You folks showing lovely pics of your BRG coupes are killing me! That's what I wanted but, unlike in Europe, coupes are scarce in the US and I could only stand being obsessed with looking at every car-selling site on the Web, every day, for so long before I gave in and bought a black coupe. Indeed, the coupe was the only choice for me, no matter how hard to find, and only a 2003 or later, which didn't make the search any easier. I just love the lines of the coupe!

Old 02-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

The Coupe is beautiful, but if only Jaguar would have made just a little different tail light, it would be fantastic. But to me, those tail lights just don't do anything for the rear end.-- maybe a more vertical lens--something---just not the ones there.

They don't look the same on the convertible--on the Coupe, sort of bug eyed, but still beautiful cars. I just wish I could trade the two cars I have-- for one that runs--

That car of "prettybluefin's" above is just gorgeous. I think the chrome surround around the tail light lens is a much better presentation. Helps a lot and looks much better to me---but still----

JMHO

Chuck

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 02-11-2017 at 11:31 AM.
prettybluefin (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

This shows how closely the XK8 is related to the E-Type. I can remember as a kid when the E-type was introduced about not being able to decide which one I would want if by some odd chance I won some lottery and was able to choose. The coupe of both models is a flawless design in its entirety compared with the convertible with the top up. However, with the top down both the XK8 and E-Type are incredibly svelte--plus you have the luxury of open air driving.

Decisions, decisions. . .

Doug

Old 02-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The first drive in my coupe I turned to look back while in reverse and NO blind spot... theres a window...

I do find my Verts is a bit of a pain to reverse with top up... Of course with top down is better....duh
... remote side mirror drop is usefull too

The rain gutter drip rail over the door windows works much better in coupe, as I keep a small towel in the interior door of my Verts to put on my left leg as in the rain drips right on my knee....I like the window open a bit..fresh air!

I just love both .... I dont care who you are, these are just very sexy cars!

Last edited by Wide_Tyres_2; 02-11-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Coupe vs Convertible!