XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cut a key in Miami

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts
Default cut a key in Miami

Hello lads, I've got this new key on amazon and need someone to cut it and program it. Do you know about anyone near Miami?
The collection won't cut it unless you buy it from them...and the service is really poor.

thanks!

Old 09-22-2017, 07:30 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

SirJohn
I recently had a new one made. I live in the Palm Springs area. I googled "Jaguar Key Coachella Valley", which is the area I live in and came up with 5 local locksmiths who perform this service. They all made and programmed keys for high end cars. I called the local dealer and they wanted 450. I payed 149 at a local locksmith. I purchased my key on Ebay. I did not get a discount for having my own key.

The following users liked this post:
SirJohn (09-24-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 07:54 AM

Thanks so much miragePro! I'll try that

Old 09-22-2017, 08:20 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

I used this guy who lives in the area (not sure where) and he did a great job... his name is John and his number is 954-709-1195... give him a call. He has a mobile service and can come to you...

SirJohn (09-24-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by blindside
I used this guy who lives in the area (not sure where) and he did a great job... his name is John and his number is 954-709-1195... give him a call. He has a mobile service and can come to you...
Will do, thanks! Do you remember how much he charged you?

Old 09-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Have you checked all the specifics for this? This flip key has a built-in remote fob, obviously. It can be made to control our cars by applying a sequence of steps with the car. There is no need for software or anything special. You should be able to do this now. This procedure has been described on this forum. Let me know if you need it and I can find it again.

For the physical key, you need an 8-cut tibbe. Jaguar also made 6-cut tibbe keys for other series. These flip keys typically come with the shorter key, unsuitable for the X100. This is to operate the locks. I suppose you can compare the end with the existing key.

Last, there is the transponder. It needs to be the exact right type within the Megamos 48 family. This is needed to actually start the engine. Here, a software procedure is required to make the car accept this particular transponder. I believe this procedure requires ALL keys to be present (sometimes folks forget to bring the valet key, so it stops being recognized). The alternative is to re-use (and destroy) an existing original Jaguar key.

I am working on this, too, and having a heck of a time finding someone able to do this tibbe cut alone for a reasonable cost. Looks like the market is geared towards these expensive mobile operations, at $150 per key...

Best of luck, keep us posted.

SirJohn (09-24-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Have you checked all the specifics for this? This flip key has a built-in remote fob, obviously. It can be made to control our cars by applying a sequence of steps with the car. There is no need for software or anything special. You should be able to do this now. This procedure has been described on this forum. Let me know if you need it and I can find it again.

For the physical key, you need an 8-cut tibbe. Jaguar also made 6-cut tibbe keys for other series. These flip keys typically come with the shorter key, unsuitable for the X100. This is to operate the locks. I suppose you can compare the end with the existing key.

Last, there is the transponder. It needs to be the exact right type within the Megamos 48 family. This is needed to actually start the engine. Here, a software procedure is required to make the car accept this particular transponder. I believe this procedure requires ALL keys to be present (sometimes folks forget to bring the valet key, so it stops being recognized). The alternative is to re-use (and destroy) an existing original Jaguar key.

I am working on this, too, and having a heck of a time finding someone able to do this tibbe cut alone for a reasonable cost. Looks like the market is geared towards these expensive mobile operations, at $150 per key...

Best of luck, keep us posted.
Thanks a lot, very useful information. Right now I only have one key, so $150 it is a reasonable price. If I lose my key I will spend way more than that. I'll try with the contacts people here gave me first, at this point I'm ok with the $150 (but definitely I wont pay the $450 the dealer is asking).

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.
Juan

Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by SirJohn
Will do, thanks! Do you remember how much he charged you?
It WAS a few years ago and I had a standard key (i.e. not on a fob like yours) and he charged me $50 to cut and program... he was recommended by a locksmith that I use for everything else (but he didn't have the equipment for the Jag keys).

SirJohn (09-24-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by blindside
Hi, could you check is the number is right? It is currently our of service. tks!

Old 09-26-2017, 01:24 PM

I found someone that told me that he can make it, but "his machine" do only two keys at a time. So if one of the keys I have now (one the original, one the new) doesn't take the new code, I'll lose the only key I have. So he is finding out if he can clone the key instead of generating a new code.
All this is Chinese for me, is that correct? What should I do? Tks

Old 09-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I just had a key cut recently for $30 and had dealer program both keys for $80 .I was told 2000 and up could not be cloned and like you these traveling guys want a fortune if they can do it at all. I would try to find a locksmith with a tibbe cutter then check out dealer took 15 min to program
Good luck
Jeremy

SirJohn (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

All of the key stuff is obscured by design (a weak form of security), so it is hard to find positive documentation either way. To my (limited) knowledge, there is no cloning for the XK8/R 2000 and later...

Can you share a link to the new key you bought? You have to have the right blade (8-cut tibbe, not 6-cut) and transponder (Megamos 48)...

SirJohn (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
All of the key stuff is obscured by design (a weak form of security), so it is hard to find positive documentation either way. To my (limited) knowledge, there is no cloning for the XK8/R 2000 and later...

Can you share a link to the new key you bought? You have to have the right blade (8-cut tibbe, not 6-cut) and transponder (Megamos 48)...
Sure thing, this is the key BENTLY STYLE FLIP CHIP KEY REMOTE FOR JAG XK8 XKR KEYLESS ENTRY FOB TRANSPONDER | eBay

Old 09-26-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by SirJohn
Hi, could you check is the number is right? It is currently our of service. tks!
Try (954) 722-2930... it is Qic Pic Locksmith and his name is John Antonacci... hope that helps (the original number I had was probably five years old or more).

And like you said, I needed to have another key for him to use when he made my key... not sure if he cloned it or not but I thought I remember him saying that if he did it wrong then NEITHER key would work...

Last edited by blindside; 09-26-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:09 PM

Lads, thanks so much for your help, the key is cut and working properly. I was reading a post in programming the remote (Flash position, Key in place, flash five times, etc) and I'm pretty sure mine doesn't work that way. Is there any change between XK8 and XKR or pre 2003 and post 2003? Thanks again

Old 09-27-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Who did it? How much? The info might help someone in the future.
I assume you are trying to program the fob now?

SirJohn (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Who did it? How much? The info might help someone in the future.
I assume you are trying to program the fob now?
Yes the fob.

The locksmith is very professional and the price was really competitive. Cutting and programming the key was $120. You can pay cash or credit card, not check.

Here's the information:
Richard from "Mayor Locksmith" from Miami.
Here's the video (OMG!)
Facebook Page
Facebook Post
Phone Number: 786-651-0267.

Norri (09-27-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in BC Canada. When I bought my car only one key came with it. I did grab one from eBay for 10 bucks. Phoned around to every local locksmith and all flatly refused to program it with the car. But cutting it was no hassle for them. The local dealership will charge me an hour labor fee to program it. Funny, they don't cut their own keys, just program them. And yes I have a non working separate fob. Tried the cleaning trick and also re-program it to the car, but no cigar. So ordered another one. Checked the contacts and they were clean. Program it? Nope, cigarless again. Probably the security module or some other arcane electronics jag infested the car with.

SirJohn (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 07:08 PM

Ok guys, fob programed and working. Thanks again, you are making me feel McGyver