XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Cracked and Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Cracked and Leaking

I woke up this morning to the overwhelming smell of gas after starting up the Jag only to find out that one of the injectors is springing a leak!

Has anyone replaced an injector or had a similar event? Things seem pretty brittle down there and don't wish to damage any more of them in the process of fixing the cracked one.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 09-25-2017, 03:49 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

did not have cracked injector but recently replaced all 8 of mine - pretty simple job.

The following users liked this post:
jobagadonuts (09-28-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Just be aware that early engines have a totally different injector / fuel-rail set up - not sure when the exact changeover date is - around 1999 I think.

On early engines, the fuel rail is part of the inlet manifold and the injectors are fed with fuel from the side whereas later cars have a separate fuel rail and (I think) are "top fed".

If early ones - not that easy to "extract" without damage but if you're going to replace / renew - that doesn't really matter too much I guess. Once the metal locating bracket is unbolted, they just prise out with a bit of help from a couple of small screwdrivers or thin metal levers. There's no separate fuel pipe - it's integral to the manifold.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
did not have cracked injector but recently replaced all 8 of mine - pretty simple job.
Did you have to remove the entire fuel rail assembly on both sides with the injectors attached? Was it necessary to disconnect the fuel hoses as well?

This will be my first attempt at replacing the injectors on my XK8.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

If you have a 1997 4.0 engine, I don't think there will be a separate fuel rail.

If it looks like this one - you can see that the injectors go in the top and that the "fuel rail" is part of the manifold.

Fuel Injector Cracked and Leaking-inlet-manifold.jpg

Old 09-26-2017, 06:09 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

Originally Posted by jobagadonuts
Did you have to remove the entire fuel rail assembly on both sides with the injectors attached? Was it necessary to disconnect the fuel hoses as well?

This will be my first attempt at replacing the injectors on my XK8.

Thanks in advance.
I did not completely remove the rail as I could not get the disconnect to release - even with the right fuel line adapter. I took 4 of the 5 bolts out and loosened the one just in front of the throttle body so that I could pivot the rail up enough to remove/reinstall the injectors.

When reinstalling the clip that locks the injector onto the rail - use the upper slot, otherwise the injector will not seat properly on the manifold and you will get misfires

The following users liked this post:
jobagadonuts (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
It turned out to be a rotten upper O-ring. Looks like I'll be replacing the rest this week. Thanks for the advise.