XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D on Transmission / J-Gate flashing...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Thats a new one, subscribed myself so I can follow this if someone more technically proficient can help ya.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default Brutal... take a look

Any idea?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Sequential Switch

I've got the same problem. I notice that it tends to trigger if I shift fast or when the car gets hot. On another forum a transmission guy suggested replacing the linear switch in the J-Gate. Plan to try that next time the car goes in for service.

Here is the link: http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/124...ission-Problem

Last edited by enderle; 04-15-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I had the same problem. Did it 2 or3 times every time I took the car out. Drove me nuts.
Restarting would always reset it but what pain in the **s.
I also read the thread about the linear switch.
Mine tended to do it mostly if I moved the shifter side to side from drive into gear or back, but only when it was in sport mode as far as I could tell.
I checked all the grounds and connections first but all to no avail.
When it failed I would usually hear a different click sound so I paid very close attention to it as to when it did it and what happened when it happened.
Finally I heard the click and saw the sport mode light go out simultainously so I thought that maybe it could be a relay or switch because it clicked.
I removed the J-gate and found the micro switch that changed the mode drive to gear mode was loose. When I moved the rotary gizmo under the J-gate it made the same click so I bit the bullet and bought a new J-gate module. The lights had also gone out anyhow so I guess it was already tired, so $500:00 later the lights came on and it seemed to cure all the problems.
Still does it once in a while, every 2 months or so...........I can deal with that.
I drive in sport mode most of the time, both in traffic and when I am out and about. I like to use the gears to save the brakes so it has plenty of opportunity to fail if it wants to.
It is way better than it was. The linear switch is the other option. I will probably do it at a later date but its so infrequent that I can live with it for now.
I hope this helps.

Allan

Last edited by growler05; 04-15-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Flashing lights on the JGate is a warning that the TCM is not communicating properly with the ECM. The first check would be the motronics connector on the tranny. Check that it is clean and secure. Then look at the harness for damage or other loose connections. Then verify that the shift cable is secure to the tranny, the two bolts are known to fall out. Finally, there is opening up the shift assmelby to look for loose switches and connectors. For me, anything involving testing modules means a trip to the dealer WDS. I don't want to open a module warehouse.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (04-23-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am not an expert on transmission issues but when my 99xk8 was having a problem on cold start shifting I fixed it by adjusting my shifter cable. What I noticed was that the “D” on my shifter was not lighting up on the cold start and after driving about 2 tenths of a mile it would be just fine.

The shifter cable goes into the transmission on the left it transfers the range/position you select to the transmission internal and the rotary switch (TRS) on the right of the transmission to the transmission control module (TCM) and from there it sends a signal to the transmission selector illumination module (SLM) in the car “P”, “R”, “N” and “D”. When the shifter is moved over to the manual position “2”, “3” and “4” a micro switch in the SLM will tell the TCM that it is no longer in the automatic position and will alter the shifting not to exceed the shift level selected.

The two micro switches located under the SLM I am not sure about but have been told not to break them.

If the lights on the SLM is blinking or not on I would be looking at the shifter cable adjustment first then the TRS that may not be sending the correct information to the TCM. I am providing a link for the cable adjustment and testing of the TRS. I also know that you can have the TCM tested if you deem it necessary.

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/307-01-1.pdf

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...ch%205HP24.pdf

Link Welcome To Auto ECU Inc.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (04-23-2013)