XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dead speakers

I have the premium sound system in my 2000 XKR convertible, but all four door speakers are dead.. The two small speakers on top of the dash and the subs in the rear are working.

I am assuming that the four speakers in question have nothing else in common than the amplifier, right? Would you say it is a fair bet that the amp is gone? Is it a standard amp that can be replaced with similar item, or specialized Jag kit?

Thanks for good ideas!

Lars

Old 04-30-2014, 06:19 AM

..oh, and while we are at it. The audio wiring diagram has a footnote to the two connectors DD-1 and DP-1 (the connections from the amp to the door speakers) stating that both the right and left connections are located on the vehicle left hand side - leading me to think that these could be co-located and be a possible common failure/poor connection point.

BUT: I need to find them first.. Does anyone know where those connectors (DD-1/DP-2) are located??

Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Artigiano
I have the premium sound system in my 2000 XKR convertible, but all four door speakers are dead.. The two small speakers on top of the dash and the subs in the rear are working.

I am assuming that the four speakers in question have nothing else in common than the amplifier, right? Would you say it is a fair bet that the amp is gone? Is it a standard amp that can be replaced with similar item, or specialized Jag kit?
Lars
Lars - When you say the FOUR door speakers, are you referring to the two upper tweeters and the two lower mid-base speakers? I was helping (or trying to help) another forum member because both of his door speakers (the lower ones) didn't have any sound... that thread is HERE --- long story short we haven't fixed it yet but it doesn't seem to be the amp or the head unit, but rather connections between the two (maybe??).

As an FYI, the two upper tweeters are just in parallel with the two dash fascia speakers and the two lower door speakers are two separate channels - so you are correct that they don't have anything else in common that I know of.

..oh, and while we are at it. The audio wiring diagram has a footnote to the two connectors DD-1 and DP-1 (the connections from the amp to the door speakers) stating that both the right and left connections are located on the vehicle left hand side - leading me to think that these could be co-located and be a possible common failure/poor connection point.

BUT: I need to find them first.. Does anyone know where those connectors (DD-1/DP-2) are located??
Regarding your second post, I don't see that footnote that states that the DD-1 & DP-1 are on the same side... I see that DD-1 is located at the DRIVER SIDE ‘A’ POST MOUNTING BRACKET/ ‘A’ POST TRIM and that DP-1 is located at PASSENGER SIDE ‘A’ POST / ‘A’ POST TRIM.

Do keep us apprised of your progress because there are quite a few with similar problems as noted in the other post I linked above.

The following users liked this post:
Artigiano (05-03-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Lars, you probably know this, but an easy way to test a speaker (and to verify it's polarity) is to disconnect the wire to the speaker and briefly touch a 9volt battery to the terminals. You will hear a pop with a good speaker, the speaker moves outward if the + battery touches the + terminal. This is not to be used on tweeters they are too fragile IMO, besides the direct current will not flow through any capacitors used in the tweeter crossover network. Hope this helps you elimiate whether the speaker drivers themselves are faulty. John

The following users liked this post:
Artigiano (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by blindside
Regarding your second post, I don't see that footnote that states that the DD-1 & DP-1 are on the same side... I see that DD-1 is located at the DRIVER SIDE ‘A’ POST MOUNTING BRACKET/ ‘A’ POST TRIM and that DP-1 is located at PASSENGER SIDE ‘A’ POST / ‘A’ POST TRIM.

Do keep us apprised of your progress because there are quite a few with similar problems as noted in the other post I linked above.
Thanks for the info and suggestions guys.

Blindside: The footnote I am referring to is quoted from the attached diagram. Check the two little notes on DD-1 and DP-1. I don't quite understand what they mean as I haven't been in there, but it led me to think that they could be located in the same location - possibly causing a point of failure that would simultaneously impact all four door speakers.

Anyone who know where the connectors are located, and if they could be a poor connection item?

Thanks,
Lars

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audio wiring diagram.pdf (301.8 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Yeah, I don't know what that means - I hadn't noticed it before. I was referring to the page before that which shows some of the harness connection points (see attached). I would think that connection has to be under the dash on the left hand side, maybe near where the wires go out to the door (since the door tweeter is in parallel with the top dash speaker - it would be between the two speakers)

I also would try to test those speakers from their connection at the amp in the trunk using a toner or a battery or some other low voltage output signal... if you do hear sound out of the speakers then that could eliminate the need to worry about those connectors in question.

Do keep us posted please.

Attached Thumbnails Dead speakers-jag-comment.png  
Old 05-09-2014, 08:50 AM

Did some troubleshooting with surprising findings. I had expected to find a poor connection somewhere in the loom, or a dead amp. Cause we couldn't have simultaneous problems with four speakers, right?

Wrong, both door midrange speakers were totally dead, and the door tweeters were.. missing. Apparently PO removed the tweeters for some reason; it's a premium system and cables are still there, so the tweeters must have been there at some point. Both main speakers blown is impressive though.

Looking forward to replacing the lot!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Did some troubleshooting with surprising findings. I had expected to find a poor connection somewhere in the loom, or a dead amp. Cause we couldn't have simultaneous problems with four speakers, right?

Wrong, both door midrange speakers were totally dead, and the door tweeters were.. missing. Apparently PO removed the tweeters for some reason; it's a premium system and cables are still there, so the tweeters must have been there at some point. Both main speakers blown is impressive though.
Looking forward to replacing the lot!
Premium Systems would have a small "Alpine" Tag on the Door Tweeter Covers.

Last edited by Paul Pavlik; 05-09-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik

Do you have a Picture of what that would look like?
I have no idea what I have in my car. Could be nice to know whithout ripping the car apart.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
Yes, I do have that little tag - thanks. They have clearly been there at some point. I think I will try the Polk MM or DB 6501 component set and fiddle the tweeter into the A-post spot.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by zecretw
Do you have a Picture of what that would look like?
I have no idea what I have in my car. Could be nice to know whithout ripping the car apart.
The two easiest tell-tales without checking behind covers are:
- as Paul states the little Alpine logo on the triangular grill directly inside the door mirrors
- hit the mode-button on the radio control unit a few times; if you get the option to adjust subwoofer level you have the premium system

It's very easy to check for the amp behind the RH cover in the trunk though.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 AM

New mid range and tweeters installed - hey presto: nice sound again!

Turned out the concern about amp and loom connections was an unneccessary worry. Good that some things are easier than expected..