XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deadlocked! Passenger door won't open.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Deadlocked! Passenger door won't open.

For no reason I can determine, yesterday the passenger door decided to refuse to open either with the remote or with the internal handle (either passengers or drivers door handle). On occasion the drivers door handle flaps in and out four or five times. The passenger window goes up and down as it should either from the drivers or passengers buttons. The puddle well light goes on in the passenger side as it should. The passenger door mirror adjusts as it should. I have done the following all without effecting a cure or changing the symptoms:

- charged the battery (Bosch Silver < 1 year old - was pretty OK anyway)

- reset with ignition key in position II, positive and negative CABLES joined for > 20 seconds

- tried all combinations of the key fob (all works well in other respects)

- checked F15 in the drives fascia fuse box

I have to suspect either a fuse in the passenger fascia fuse box and/or the passenger door control module BUT as I can't open the door I can't get at them. A search around hasn't turned anything up. Can anyone give me a clue as to the next step? No, I don't have an angle grinder

The car in question is a 2005 4.2L XK8 Coupé

Jim

Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Refuses to open or refuses to unlock?

The drivers door flapping, is that prompted by your button presses on the remote or happens by itself?

If you can still open the door from the inside or outside, does the passenger window drop as it should when opening? (if it doesn't be careful closing it again)

Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 AM

Thanks for the response. I'm currently ploughing through JTIS looking for answers but nothing so far.

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Refuses to open or refuses to unlock?
It refuses to unlock, therefore I can't open it at all. The passenger handle remains on the locked position. Operating the drivers door handle does produce a clicking sound (like a relay operating) from the passenger side but there is no action from the passenger door handle.

The drivers door flapping, is that prompted by your button presses on the remote or happens by itself?
Prompted by me trying various drivers door opening and button pressing scenarios in desperation.

If you can still open the door from the inside or outside, does the passenger window drop as it should when opening? (if it doesn't be careful closing it again)
I can't open it therefore I can't tell. After battery disconnect/re-connect the window set procedure produces the expected clicks from the passenger window but I can't tell if it would work.

Jim

Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

If you look in the electrical section of JTIS (my version P97) you'll see there's a common relay drives both lock motors so if the driver door locks + unlocks the fault is either in the passenger door lock motor or the passenger lock status switch which may be returning a false signal to the security + locking control module(SLCM) in the boot.
If you look at pins 19 + 7 with the driver door locked they should both be at the same level (either ground or 12V, ground I'd guess.) If not the passenger switch is defective and you can spoof the SLCM by pulling pin 7 (passenger side) to whatever pin 19 is at with the driver door locked.
If they're both the same level it must be the motor or its supply.

Last edited by steveinfrance; 12-06-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Jim,
The relay you hear clicking when you open the drivers door is the door locking relay and is linked to both doors. The fact the passenger door handle does not move when you operate the drivers door handle would lead me, at this time, to suspect the passenger door lock actuator being the fault. It is, of course possible, that it could be a loose connection within the harness, but as the module and actuator are inside the door and it won't open it is a bit difficult to check.

I shall keep digging in the drawings to see if there is a way to open the door manually.

Sorry if this is not much help but it may point you in a different direction.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member

Jim,
Just found this section in my manual, may worth a try,
Key Operation
To 'single action' lock or unlock the vehicle, the key is inserted in the door lock, turned towards the front or rear of the vehicle respectively,
and released. Holding the key in the lock position will close all windows, and on convertible models, will also raise the top. Releasing the
key stops all operations. 'Single action' locking of the vehicle locks both doors, the trunk lid and the fuel filler flap, and sets the alarm
system.
A 'superlocking' function deadlocks both doors, preventing door opening from the interior, and provides all of the above functions. To raise
the convertible top however, the key must again be held in the 'lock' position. To 'superlock' the vehicle, the key is inserted in the door lock
and turned to the unlock position, then within three seconds, turned to the lock position and released.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Let's try to eliminate a mechanical problem.
When you lock/unlock the driver's door there is a definite 'motor running' sound - sort of whirrr-clunk.
Are you definitely NOT getting this sound from the passenger door - just a quiet click ?
If so the lock motor isn't operating as I mentioned above. It could be a defective motor, lack of power to it (could be a broken wire rather than a fuse) or the SLCM getting a bad status signal.
If you look at Rev Sam's door panel video
you'll see it might be possible to get most of the door panel off with the door closed. I don't imagine it will be amusing but it does look possible.
I've had the panel off to fix the door open microswitch but I don't know where the lock motor is relative to the door catch itself, or if you can get to it with less than ideal access.
If you do take the panel off do follow Rev Sam's advice + disconnect the battery because the window can move and have your fingers.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM

Thanks all for the replies so far, I managed to get the door panel off enough to confirm that the rods from the door handle and the cable to the inside handle seem to be operating the lever on the lock. I guess if it thinks it is deadlocked it won't respond to those attempts to open anyway.

I'll do some more digging to see if I can at least determine if it is an electronic or mechanical fault.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 PM

Well, all the electrics seem OK so seems like a latch fault (perhaps the infamous micro-switch problem). I can get hold of a latch assembly at reasonable money (Jaguar here want GBP 244.50 for one) but how to remove the door card to replace the latch when the door won't open? This is a UK vehicle and passenger side so there is no mechanical key hole lock. Any and all ideas appreciated.

Jim

Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Jima,
Having gone through the manual it appears everything starts with removal of the door panel. If it is not possible to fully remove the panel whilst the door is locked then we are pretty much screwed. Not what you want to hear I know.
I have just 2 more ideas:
Have you tried to open the door with the battery disconected, don't think it will work but worth a go.
The best thing I can think of is to contact David Marks mailto:david@davidmarksgarages.co.uk and ask him the question. He may just have had this problem before, a man with a wealth of knowledge and not far away from you. It may take a day or two as he is busy. I have no affiliation to him but he is definately worth a email.

Hope this helps,

Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 AM

Thanks, Jim, good tip! I recall him as a very knowledgeable guy from a workshop day I attended on the XK8 at Jaguar.

Jim

Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Default Deadlocked! Passenger door won't open. SOLVED.

David Marks was very helpful but was only able to confirm what I already suspected so after much swearing and cursing the door card came off enough to get the door was open and then the latch was removed. The cause of all the trouble was that one of the micro-switches was actually hanging off! A used replacement from EuroJag was cleaned, lubed and fitted and all is well once again.

Many, many thanks to all those who helped!

Jim

The following users liked this post:
kstevusa (09-13-2019)
Old 12-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Jima,
Glad you got it sorted.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jima
David Marks was very helpful but was only able to confirm what I already suspected so after much swearing and cursing the door card came off enough to get the door was open and then the latch was removed. The cause of all the trouble was that one of the micro-switches was actually hanging off! A used replacement from EuroJag was cleaned, lubed and fitted and all is well once again.

Many, many thanks to all those who helped!

Jim
I hope you get this post, after all this time! I have a similar problem. The door card is removed, but I can't get at the latch to remove it - can you remember how you removed the latch, once the card was removed? Many thanks!