XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Derestricting the 'R'

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Derestricting the 'R'

I understand Jaguar entered into a voluntary agreement with various other manufacturers to restrict the top speed of their vehicles to 155 mph and I am wondering if anyone has managed to derestrict one and if so, what is the true top end potential of an otherwise standard XKR.

This is a purely academic question - at least it is from me, as I know from experience on bikes that that sort of speed is very rarely obtainable with any degree of safety, but I can't help but wonder...........170?......180??

Also, I assume the restriction is carried out by the engine ECU limiting the RPM once the transmission module has registered it is in fifth gear and therefore presumably, one could create a device to interface between the engine and trans modules that would prevent the engine module from ever seeing fifth gear?

I know Suzuki did something similar with the Hyabusa and one could connect a small box of tricks into the main loom under the seat and hey presto....... one very fast motorcycle!

Andy

Old 02-26-2013, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I believe the simplest way is to disable the ABS and use satnav to get your roadspeed.
Unless you're planning an audacious International diamond robbery and need to outrun the few cop cars that can manage >150 mph it seems a bit academic!

Old 02-26-2013, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Didn't they use a black van a few weeks ago?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:24 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy ***
I understand Jaguar entered into a voluntary agreement with various other manufacturers to restrict the top speed of their vehicles to 155 mph and I am wondering if anyone has managed to derestrict one and if so, what is the true top end potential of an otherwise standard XKR.

This is a purely academic question - at least it is from me, as I know from experience on bikes that that sort of speed is very rarely obtainable with any degree of safety, but I can't help but wonder...........170?......180??

Also, I assume the restriction is carried out by the engine ECU limiting the RPM once the transmission module has registered it is in fifth gear and therefore presumably, one could create a device to interface between the engine and trans modules that would prevent the engine module from ever seeing fifth gear?

I know Suzuki did something similar with the Hyabusa and one could connect a small box of tricks into the main loom under the seat and hey presto....... one very fast motorcycle!

Andy
I understand from the previous owner that my car has been de-restricted though how and by what means this was achieved I dont know - niether (officer) do I have any idea of the top speed, or potential top speed. I just know that currently, my XKR is purring nicely

Old 02-26-2013, 03:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I agree it would be nice to know you were driving a 180mph car, even if you never use it. I mean, how many of us actually need/use 400hp+ anyway? It is my ambition to own a 1000hp car before I die, which is even more pointless given the current move towards the dandelion-powered electromagnetic pods they want us all to drive.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:46 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy ***
I understand Jaguar entered into a voluntary agreement with various other manufacturers to restrict the top speed of their vehicles to 155 mph and I am wondering if anyone has managed to derestrict one and if so, what is the true top end potential of an otherwise standard XKR......................................
The 155 mph limit was for a time a voluntary, if somewhat arbitrary, agreement.

I've read Jaguar tested unrestricted XKR's to 178 mph at Nardo but can't turn up the actual reference to this.

Graham

Old 02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently acquired a '99 XK8 and was a bit miffed to find out it was electronically restricted to 155. To paraphrase Bill Cosby, "I need a car that goes 180 mph to get to work in the morning." Is there any new insight into removing this restriction?

Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I have done 179 at the Milbrook Bowl in a derestricted 05 XKR

On a straight I am sure we could of gone faster

Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

As I said initially, the question was an academic one, but clearly it is a pertinent one for someone on a track session etc. I am interested at a technical level how the system is restricted and how you would derestrict it. Perhaps XKRacer, you can shed some light on this please?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a derestricted XK8 probably wouldn't go much quicker than 155, but the XKR might have the potential to reach 180+ mph.

I fully agree that for the majority of owners, myself included, 400 hp and 155 mph is way more than is ever needed, but I'm with Frog........you can never have enough power.

Andy.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

This board is full of actual engineers. Surely someone knows the math to calculate theoretical speed given RWHP, gear ratio and weight.

Any takers for this challenge?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
This board is full of actual engineers. Surely someone knows the math to calculate theoretical speed given RWHP, gear ratio and weight.

You actually left out drag coefficient, which I suspect is very low (and lower for the coupe), and I would guess is one of the reasons that these cars can attain such high top ends.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

It is my understanding that a standard XKR can reach 180 mph and the 155 mph limit can be defeated by pulling a fuse that also disables the speedometer. There is a thread on this forum (I think) that I read a couple of years ago about doing this but I can't find it now.

Mark

Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I recall seeing the same.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Pulling the fuse will also disable the speedometer, thus requiring a GPS. An ECU tune removes the speed limiter.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4

Hey I'm still waiting for someone to figure out how to make my windows one touch up in addition to one touch down (apparently a feature that the 2006 models had). I would think derestricting/delimiting the car would be even more difficult.

Doug

Old 02-27-2013, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

The fuse story I believe is one of mine....
It is how I went around the bowl so fast, my driver took a couple of fuses from the left hand side engine bay, the abs did not work neither did the speedo.

Trust me I did ask but he said he was sworn to secrecy by Jaguar and would cost him his job, it took him seconds!!!