XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I make a mistake buying my 1997 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Did I make a mistake buying my 1997 XK8

I bought a 97 XK8 that looks brand new. Can't believe you could keep one that nice. The more I read on this forum the more I am worried about buying this car. I am not very handy working on cars so most repairs would probably be done by a mechanic. It seems like almost anything repaired on these Jags cost way way more than on a regular car and that there are more problems on these than the average car. I am not a rich person. Would I be better to sell this before something major goes wrong. Would just like some opinions from those who have a similar Jag. Also what would it cost to have a dealer install new tensioners and also change transmission fluid. Watched the video on transmission fluid change. Yikes.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

Depends how much you spent and the condition. They are not maintenance free so if you cannot do the work yourself you should budget a couple grand a year for maintenance. Do you have service records?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:15 PM

Unfortunately I didn't get records. I am going to call the previous owner and ask him about a few things. I am use to driving a Toyota, probably a dirty word here. Bought new in 2001 and with 100k on it the only thing I have done is oil change, filters, and front brakes. I realized when I bought this car that it would be nothing like that. Its also just an occasional weekend cruiser. Probably won't drive more than 1000 miles a year.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Pork
A lot of the people on the forums are here because of a problem. They made ninty thousand over a ten year period of this car. True you need to get the tensioners and water pump fixed and there is the hydraulic hose for the convertible top. I haven't had any problems except for the hose issue. A lot of the maintenance can be performed by you, there's plenty of help on this forum. If you bought this car for a everyday driver you will have to budget money for it, as Scott suggested. Try to find a independent garage that will service the car for you. Usually this will save you some money. remember there's thousands of XK8's that have been trouble free, Your just hearing about the problems on the forum.

The following 3 users liked this post by RCSign:
gerardbooth (10-27-2023), porkenstein (06-16-2011), thegreatgarbanzo (12-04-2023)
Old 06-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Pork
Have the tensioners checked right away. With 100,000 maybe the previous owner addressed the major issues. Be sure to ask him about it. If it's a weekend warrior you shouldn't have a lot of problems. I put about 3000 to 4000 miles a year on mine. It parked in a climate controlled garage for the most part.

The following users liked this post:
porkenstein (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

I do not want to scare you away with what I said was the budget. I budget a couple grand that way I will not get upset if a leak starts, bushing need to be replaced or need new tires.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Please keep this in mind. If you check the Taurus forums, you will be inclined never to buy one as the owners there seem to have nothing but problems (and big ones at that). I own a Taurus and have had it for 6 yrs. Great car! Bit of routine maintenance required, that's all.

This situation seems to apply to the Jags as well as people with no problems are unlikely to search us out to declare that.

You don't have to be an experienced mechanic to do a lot of the little, routine maintenance jobs. We have great, knowledgeable people here and some who even post videos on how to do most anything.

Regardless, a trusted, competent, independent garage is always great to have as a back-up. Mine has about 10 mechanics, two of which are very Jaguar knowledgeable, even though they seldom see one.

Good luck, enjoy, and buy a cheap code reader. It will help guide you through a lot of the potential little things that may crop up in a car of that age.

porkenstein (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 05:02 PM

Thanks guys. You are making me feel better. I am 61 years old and have been in love with the Jags since I first saw them. I thought the XKE was the most beautiful car ever growing up. Anyone my age probably had an Aurora race car set when they were young and they surely had the XKE as one of their favorite cars.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Porkenstein - I'll echo the others that advised you to check the tensioners. Those are the biggest ilssue your year car had. The tranny is important, but they were not as flawed as the tensioners.

I have an 02 XKR with 105,542 and it was my daily driver until a couple months ago - I bought a newer XKR coupe. The 02 never left me on the side of the road. I've never had a major problem with it, but I did maintain it regularly, which I think you would agree you have to do with any car.

Enjoy your new ride and remember, when the women want you in your Jag you just have to exercise some restraint.

Originally Posted by porkenstein
Thanks guys. You are making me feel better. I am 61 years old and have been in love with the Jags since I first saw them. I thought the XKE was the most beautiful car ever growing up. Anyone my age probably had an Aurora race car set when they were young and they surely had the XKE as one of their favorite cars.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Just got an estimate for a reputable shop in Denver on doing my tensioners. Below is my email. Does it sound like a normal price. Yikes

hi rick, we are not a dealer, but a small independent shop, for 30 years only jaguar, we do about one chain job per week, the original tensioners were plastic housings, and crack over time, we replace all tensioners, ramps, chains, with the updated metal tensioners, some cars warn you with some noise just off idle, some don't and just break a chain, which then can do more damage, also jag is on their 3rd update of water pump, so it should be done too, no extra labor cost, the chain, pump cost averages $2300 - $2500, and takes us a couple days, you can always give us a call at 303-XXX-XXXX, best time to reach me is am, thanks ted

Old 06-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Pork
I re-read your post. How many miles does the Jag have? If it's high mileage then It might warrant having the lower tensioners replaced, but if it's low mileage you only need the secondary tensioners replaced if the previous owner didn't address it. The price you were quoted does not seem out of line if he's replacing all of the tensioners and water pump.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Cars got 70,000 miles on it. And that job was for lower and secondary tensioners along with a water pump.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porkenstein
Mine is a '99 XK8 coupe. I bought it one-year used at 5k miles, that's the way I usually buy my cars. From the start I had a full warranty, and I renewed it; now in the last year. The car had well over $3k in dealer repairs every year, all covered. Then of course there is regular mainainance. But as mentioned, dealers are usually much more costly than an independant. Based on the dealer costs, I made out vs. the cost of the warranty. But I had to fight with the warrany company many times when they refused to cover something; usually I won that debate. But you have to be ready for it, and know how to argue the point. For example, the dealer will report a "lifter adjustment". Well, adjustments arent covered. But the term is incorrect, it really means shim replacement, and that is covered. Also, hoses arent covered so a part called a hose will be refused, but many parts have a hose and other parts as an assembly, and its called a hose, but after arguement, its covered. Thus the debate. Another example is a "hose" that fails because a connector has failed, that is not a hose failure, its covered.
But I digress.
To keep your car I suggest two elements. One you have to have a love of Jaguars in your heart and two, you have to be willing to treat the cost as a love-hobby. I would budget $4k/year for repairs or move on.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:01 PM

If it would cost me 4k a year then there is no way I would want the car. I love it but don't want a money pit. I have a c5 corvette that doesn't cost me anything other than oil changes. Probably most Jag people don't like corvettes but it's an amazing machine and totally reliable. I will keep it for a while and see. I only have it as a toy and only drive it occasionally on weekends. I do love the car but love my vette also and it runs circles around the Jag, though jag gets more looks.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Pork
Replace the secondary tensioners if they haven't been replaced also the water pump. If your only going to drive it a thousand miles a year you won't have to budget $4000.00 a year. I don't spend anything near that and I don't think too many people on the forum is spending that kind of money only driving that kind of mileage. You can check you tensioners in about a half hour time if your handy at all with a wrench. You could be unfortunate and have something real serious happen that could cost a fortune, but that can happen with any car.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Yeah, I'd just change the secondary tensioners. Figure $1200 tops; and maybe the water pump and T-stat housing for another $250. After that, just change the oil and drive it.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by porkenstein
If it would cost me 4k a year then there is no way I would want the car. I love it but don't want a money pit. I have a c5 corvette that doesn't cost me anything other than oil changes. Probably most Jag people don't like corvettes but it's an amazing machine and totally reliable. I will keep it for a while and see. I only have it as a toy and only drive it occasionally on weekends. I do love the car but love my vette also and it runs circles around the Jag, though jag gets more looks.
There is so much "lore" about expense with these magnificent autos. I surely haven't had it with mine!

Is there a way to run a survey that tracks: my, mileage, $$$/year of repair (exclude gas, oil, tires, battery, routine/expected $$ etc.) (other important $$$ info?)

I think a lot of potential owners are afraid of what the have heard! DaleD

Old 06-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Dale, Ssshhhhh! It's that fear that keeps 'em reasonable in the used mkt!

thegreatgarbanzo (12-04-2023)
Old 06-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Alholbro1
Your right. In the last two years I haven't spent $600.00 for maintenance. that included around two hundred and eighty for hoses. I've bought some things for it that I really didn't need.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Dale, Ssshhhhh! It's that fear that keeps 'em reasonable in the used mkt!
You have the right. Compared to value of almost anything similar and they are a bargain or are they??? If all you are buying is looks and not a good amount of reliability maybe not such a good bargain. If they are cheap to buy but cost a fortune to maintain as some have indicated then they are not a good buy at all. No hate posts towards me. Just making a possible observation. I love my Jag but if it turns in to a money pit she will be gone fast. I love it but I don't worship it.

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake buying my 1997 XK8