XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Repair - Air Bag Light Related to Harness under Driver's Seat ... or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 2002 Xk8 Convert, I have the 2-2 code. I have noticed the drivers seat belt won't retract without messing with it for a second, even when you open the door. Does anyone think this could cause the 2-2 code?

Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great instructions, this is the link to the seat leather removal. YouTube - Jaguar XK8 Headrest Repair Part One One thing the video does not show is to untie the white pieces of cloth before trying to pull the leather up. Also to unplug the side airbag you have to move the yellow piece back a little to allow the black tabs to be pressed in. It is easier with needle nose pliers. But be very careful.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

All of my intermittent airbag fault messages disappeared after I cleaned the grounds on each side of the console. The connections looked great but I took all the wires off each ground stud, hit them with scotchbrite, and put it all back together. I am a bit hesitant to declare success, but so far, so good.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to all of you in this thread, I just fixed an airbag light caused by yhe two pin connector under the drivers seat with a yellow and yellow and blue wire becoming disconnected. Studs, you are!

Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi all: I have the airbag light under the fuel guage. This is on my 05' xkr. There was a problem when I bought it, and they replaced the drivers belt latch assembly. But, this was the SRS light near the center of the dash.I've read everything in the thread, and just wondering if there were any solid fixes since then. Any suggestions?

Last edited by cohibarandy; 07-06-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by cohibarandy
Hi all: I have the airbag light under the fuel guage. This is on my 05' xkr. There was a problem when I bought it, and they replaced the drivers belt latch assembly. I've read everything in the thread, and just wondering if there were any solid fixes since then. Any suggestions?
You still having an intermittent light? I'm not sure what fix you're asking for, as yours appeared to be a bad latch.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Probably not related but... Lincoln LS had issues with the under-seat, driver's side harness. A TSB was issued re: its repair. If I remember correctly it used to break near the bend at the rear of the seat.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 AM

Thanks beav. So far everything is pointing to the drivers seat. I guess the side airbag conn. is another place to search. I'm wondering is the correct scan tool would pinpoint the problem.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 AM

H20boy: The light that was on before when I had the bad latch, was the one in the middle of the dashboard. This is the airbag light, and it's on steady, not intermittant. I'm guessing this is the one you were fighting with.

Last edited by cohibarandy; 07-06-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Veteran member

Mine did flash the code though, never a solid light immediately upon the key turn.

Does yours flash a sequence before going solid? The SRS light near the center of the dash has nothing to do with a driver's side error, that only involves passenger sensors...I can't see how replacing the driver's latch assembly would correct that light way over there.

And Beav, my mom's LS DID have the air bag light fault, and found those mentioned busted wires under the seat to repair. I can tell you our cars are better designed in that area - the LS didn't allow for a full stretch of the wires repeatedly....that car's driver seat moved forward upon entering, and returned to full back position upon exiting every time.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 PM

H20: The light stays on. No flashing. My buddy moved the seat forward the night before. That's the only thing I can think of that may have caused the fault. Does the light need to be erased with a reader?
I'm pretty sure about the srs light in the dash. They just changed the driver belt clip. I watched them fix it.

Last edited by cohibarandy; 07-06-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 PM

Matt: Did you ever determine exactly what was causing your fault? Has it returned?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by cohibarandy
Matt: Did you ever determine exactly what was causing your fault? Has it returned?
my flashing light has never returned since I had the seat out, the skin peeled up out of the way, and I did the 'exercising' of the internal connectors for the side airbag, and whatever other connectors I could find. The only other thing I did was unconnect the seat belt latch and cleaned inside the latch with electronics cleaner, and its connector. Wow, it'll be one year next month since its been fixed!

If the light is on solid, no blinking at all...that sounds like a total disconnection somewhere. I'd unbolt the seat at the rails, lift it up and check those connections underneath to the module and back to the seat (and your new latch)

Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 PM

Matt: Thankyou. I have my mission before me for this weekend. I appreciate all your help, and everyone else as well.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:48 PM

Matt: Mine is fixed. Fuse #10 drivers fuse box. 10 amp. Just looked it up in the Jag airbag trouble codes in the DIY section of the forum. Airbag lamp steady on, is either blown fuse, or dead short.
Thanks again, Matt, the Beav, and everyone in the jag forum for this great resource!!!!!
As a matter to note, my driver manual. placed the airbag fuse in pos. # 4 of the driver side fusebox. The jag TSB stated pos. 10, which was correct. I have downloaded the latest glovebox manual. Now I am set.that I noticed before that the fuses didn't correspond
with the actual pos. of the fuses.
Happy again

Last edited by cohibarandy; 07-09-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Veteran member

great news, good job on the detective work. fuse...who wouldve thought!

Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 PM

Matt: yup the ol' fuse trick. Well I felt so good about that that I did the Rev headrest repair on both seats. I plan to send him a Thanks on the headrest tread.
But, matt thanks again, cause misery loves company.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I foud this to be very helpful, as my issue is quite similar...

My 2003 XKR started giving me the flashing driver's airbag light about 2 years ago. I noticed that the light would flash several times before going solid. I'd shut down and gently check the connections under the driver's seat and re-started the car with the light staying off for a drive or two. It then started happening on every drive. The dealer indicated that the driver's module needed to be replaced. The price for the part (back then) was around $300. I was convinced that the module was not the issue because of the ability to extinguish the light by adjusting the harness. So I finally pulled the seat with the intention of cleaning the connectors. I flipped the seat upsidedown (and apparently damaged the headrest lifting mechanism--a story for another thread) and noticed that the case of the drivers module was cracked (about 4-5 inches). I opened it up noting no damage wihtin. The crack worried me so I took a piece of cardboard and placed it inbetween the solder points and the metal plate to act as a dialectric just in case the compromised case allowed too much flexing. This worked for several months. And now its back again.

So I'll try the advice found in this forum and let you all know the results.

Thanks!

Ron

Old 07-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Veteran member

Ron, I've found that temperature really affects when these intermittent connection problems occur. If your module isn't your problem, those 2-pin connectors in the seat most likely are. In this heat wave we've been experiencing, I've started getting the 2-2 code myself.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:13 AM

Ron: pay attention to the flashing sequence of the the airbag light. Go to the Jaguar TSB's under airbag in the the DIY section. There are some charts that describe what the various flashes mean. This may point you in the correct direction.

Quick Reply: DIY Repair - Air Bag Light Related to Harness under Driver's Seat ... or not