XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have incorrect Oil Cooler? (2003 XKR)

Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Do I have incorrect Oil Cooler? (2003 XKR)

Couple of weeks into my XKR ownership, and steadily working through the minor issues that come with an 'As Is' purchase...

The moment I got the car I noticed that the oil cooler was hanging loose at the front, with all four rubber mounts (Instrumounts) broken. I thought it was going to be a simple case of replacing these.

However, looking at the oil cooler I'm beginning to think my car has been fitted with the incorrect oil cooler (perhaps as a replacement for one damaged at the time the mounts were ripped apart).

Looking at the JPEC, it seems that my car should have an oil cooler that has 'flat' (i.e. horizontal) brackets located at the bottom of the oil cooler (see picture below). I believe this is part # C2N1169.

However, looking at my oil cooler, the brackets are located a lot higher up, and are angled upwards (at first I thought they had been bent, probably when the mounts were destroyed, but now I think they are supposed to be like that) - see the photos below:

and

I suspect that someone has replaced the oil cooler with another (incorrect) part, probably because the original was damaged - unless I straighten the brackets on the cooler, I don't see how the mounts can ever fit, and even then the cooler is going to be very, very low (because the brackets are so high).

Can anyone confirm this? Before start searching for the 'correct' cooler ( C2N1169 ) I want to make sure I've worked this out correctly. Also, if anyone knew which cooler this was it might be useful - hopefully I'd might be able to sell on ebay to recoup some of the $$$ I'm going to be spending on a replacement!

Update...looking on line at JustJagsUK, they show a photo of the oil cooler here http://www.justjagsuk.com/product_de...ke=&model=X100 - but it also has the brackets a lot higher up than shown on the JPEC). However, they are not angled. Now I'm more confused!

Thanks in advance.....

-Steve

Last edited by thefixer; 04-24-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just looked at my 2000 xkr. You do have the wrong cooler. The original is held in with 2 rubber mounts on the bottom. If you send me your e mail address i will sent you a picture.( don't know how to do it here )

lifts

Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by LIFTS
just looked at my 2000 xkr. You do have the wrong cooler. The original is held in with 2 rubber mounts on the bottom. If you send me your e mail address i will sent you a picture.( don't know how to do it here )

lifts
Just tried to send you a PM, but not sure that worked.

email me to steve47 "AT" thebytefoundry "Dot" com

Thanks
Steve

PS Would you be ok if I posted the photo here - might be useful to others?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

The oil cooler you have look OK the only difference I can see is the position of the mounts in the middle rather than at the bottom

There is a metal bracket that has 2 bolts coming through it that a lump of rubber slides into and your cooler slides into that. As far as I am aware these metal brackets are no longer available but the rubber mounts are. I made my own on my XK...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
The oil cooler you have look OK the only difference I can see is the position of the mounts in the middle rather than at the bottom. There is a metal bracket that has 2 bolts coming through it that a lump of rubber slides into and your cooler slides into that. As far as I am aware these metal brackets are no longer available but the rubber mounts are. I made my own on my XK...
Looking at your photo, and the one that 'Lifts' emailed me, I think that the mounts on your cars are different to mine (you have the 'u' piece of metal and the rubber; I have the 4 (broken...) 'instrumounts' (part 14 in the JPEC diagram above). JPEC seems to confirm this - they went from your style of mount to the new 'instramounts' in 2003.

In the JPEC the oil coolers all look the same 2000 through 2003 (all the brackets horizontal, and at the bottom), but the part numbers change (earlier cars seem to be MJA7440AB ). Not sure what the difference is...

Either way, my oil cooler seems to be the wrong one - the brackets are not horizontal, and they are in the wrong place. I'd really like to replace it (and the instramounts), but am concerned that I get the correct item.

My biggest concern is that when getting a replacement will the hoses fit? (i.e. are the hoses the same?) I suspect not - notice how mine come in horizontally to the fitting, and I think both of yours come in vertically (though all of them have the fittings on the top - I've seen some XKR oil coolers for sale that have the connections on the side)

Thanks for your help - going surfing to see what I can find...

-Steve

PS XKRacer - your front end looks great, but I don't think I'm going to that extreme....yet!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Smile

I was pleased to discover that I DO have the right oil-cooler. The problem was that the brackets on the cooler AND the brackets on the car were all bent. Straightened them out this evening and guess what - it fits!

I've made a temporary rubber mount out of some rubber hose, and ma looking for the proper mounts - but the good news is I don't need an oil cooler.

-Steve

Old 12-31-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Instrumount Thread Size?

Hi guys,

I have the same problem that Steve found back in '11. All of my Instrumounts are broken. From his pictures it looks as though the mounting bracket has captive nuts. So the question for today is:

Does anyone know what the thread size is for the Instrumounts?

Thanks, .... and HAPPY NEW!

Old 12-31-2014, 05:58 PM
Received 7,849 Likes on 4,749 Posts

The mounts should have M6 X 1.00mm

bob gauff

Old 01-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

I reused mine, cleaned then up in citric acid and glued them back together with superglue. I tested them with a 20lb load then put them back on to the oil cooler.