Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Door dropped?

I had the problem that many X100 owners had in that the drivers door dropped. Some have dropped by a little. Some by a lot. Mine fortunately only dropped by a little but did not feel, or sound, right when I closed it. It also dropped when you opened it.

A few people suggested you could adjust the hinges. Some suggested fitting shims under the hinge. The favourite option seemed to be put a jack under the door. Put a plank of wood under the door to save it being damaged and jack it up to just above where you want it to be. With trepidation I tried this. It worked! but not for long......

Turns out the 'lift door to straighten' method did more damage than helping.

For more details, and save me typing it out again, read this https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1110437

Enjoy!

The following 3 users liked this post by frankc:
enderle (07-08-2018), Johnken (07-09-2018), MediaBobNY (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Thanks frankc, this is pn my 2do list. Another member posted that his was fixed after gettin g access to the back side after removing the wheel well cover. Never did get photos or better description though.

yikes, welding sounds expensive.

John

The following users liked this post:
frankc (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

The welding was done on the exterior of the reinforcing plate. To do that the door was removed. What cost the most money was rectifying the "Jack door up to adjust" solution that a lot of others suggest works (which it does but only for a short time) In jacking it up it put stress not only on the backing plate, hence the split and pulled welds, but it also pushed the surrounding body work in at a funny angle. Pulling it out again caused the paint on the outside to 'break' for want of a better word. So they had to re-spray that section of the door too as well as the area surrounding the hinge. Cost? Well I would never take it to a Jaguar dealership. Most 'farm it out' to independents anyway then add a bit of profit to themselves. Just find a good body shop , preferably one recommended by either friends or fellow forum members you trust. The respray costs and the welding, working on door etc $400 US or £300 British pounds. If you have not yet tried the "Jack up to straighten" method it should cost you half that.

A good example of why you do not take your car to a Jag dealership. I had the famous 'green shower' on my convertible. Being more than a little nervous I asked Jag for an estimate. They came back with an estimate of $5372 minimum. (£4000+ in British Pounds) In the end I did it myself over 3 days, delayed because of rain etc. Cost to me, converted to US dollars, $20. Plus I recovered the Top trim, above the drivers head in a convertible, and the A pillars. They were soaked in hydraulic fluid. Cost me $66 or £50. Result I have now a lovely set of repaired trim that looks, and feels, as good as new. Heaven knows how much Jag would have charged to replace and fit those. I also used non Jaguar replacement hydraulic lines. Bought in UK and made to withstand much, much higher pressures than the originals. Full instructions on replacing the pipes available on my 'story' on another forum. Just ask

Footnote.

Your friend was right about removing the wheel liner and adjusting the top hinge from behind. This is a very difficult job due the the very limited space in there. Possible but not easy. If your going to do it I suggest you remove the wheel. Remove the wheel arch liner, easy job. Spray the nuts holding the hinge with a very good penetrating oil. Put the wheel back on and leave it for a week or so to let the oil do its job. If you dont you will be trying to undo a nut out of sight at arms length that is stuck fast.

What ever route you take let us know how you got on wont you? Thanks.

Last edited by frankc; 07-10-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Johnken (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I sure will provide feedback. Thanks a bunch for the great info! Really appreciate it.

John

frankc (07-10-2018)