XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's door latch

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 05:16 AM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Barry, I bought a 2005 xk8 convertible a couple of months ago and the driver's door hung a little low and had to be slammed a little to close it, so I took it to the body shop for them to 'adjust' the door. When they looked at it, they found that the metal area ON THE DOOR where the bottom hinge is mounted was "torn." He said to me that it looked like maybe the 'wind or some solid object caught the door" and pulled it past its limit. They carefully (no painting needed :-) welded some support to the area as well as fixing the tear. He told me that he had seen this before on another Jaguar a while back. I kinda surmised that when the sheet metal was formed, that maybe that area was stretched a little thinner than it should be, and so subject to "tearing." That is an unofficial observation. If someone has a door that is not right, you might check this possibility. Tom :-)

Old 10-29-2017, 05:47 PM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

There was no damage to my door or door frame. It just appeared to have sagged a bit over time and my son in law ( mechanic ) was able to adjust the hinges to make the door close properly.

The following users liked this post:
ThomasL (10-30-2017)