XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercon SP replaced with Mercon LV

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Mercon SP replaced with Mercon LV

I just went to the Ford dealership to get 7 quarts of Mercon SP to do a transmission fluid change. The parts guy tells me they no longer have SP and the LV is the replacement. I took his word for it but have looked it up on the internet. The official Ford site says that Mercon LV is not for use in applications where Mercon V or Mercon SP are called for. The Motorcraft site says not for use where MERCON SP is called for except in the syncro mesh transmission. My first thought is to return this and look for something else. Has anyone else run into this issue?
As every thread on here talks about using the SP and now Ford Dealership says SP is replaced then someone else should run up against this.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

It's been mentioned before. I have no data to back this up, but I believe your research is correct, our 6HP26 can be serviced with MERCON _SP_, not MERCON LV. I would return this MERCON LV and locate MERCON SP. FWIW, chain stores around here carry it...

The following users liked this post:
daro31 (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I just called the local Ford dealership parts department where I have been purchasing my Mercon SP since 2014. They still sell it. Check with other Ford and Lincoln dealerships in your area....

Old 10-29-2017, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

I just bought a few quarts of SP just a couple of months ago from the local Ford dealership. If SP was being discontinued, I'm sure he would have said something.
The Viper 6-Speed that my buddy put in his Mustang uses ATF as a lubricant. I'm sure that's what the "Synchromesh" comment in your research meant - Manual Transmissions. There are still many relatively new Lincolns out there with 6HP26 trannies. Ford will still have to support them.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:17 AM
Received 562 Likes on 269 Posts

The Mercon SP appears to be called by a new name. The new container lists Mercon SP on front label, but new printed name appears to be Mercon XT-6-QSP as primary . Did Google search and some suppliers now list it as same. Perhaps that is reason the Ford Dealers say it is discontinued. Maybe others will confirm this update. Made post on other thread regarding this finding.