XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb questions of the day...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dumb questions of the day...

Put bulbs in the dash last weekend. One didn't "take" and was flickering... had to pull a "do over!" All good now.

Driving into work today in the dark-- seems the shift gate is not illuminated properly. Are there 2 bulbs in there? If so, what kind/size, and how do you get to them?

Same thing for the cigarette lighter in the console. No illumination for the lighter/ashtray. What is the bulb/process there?

My knee bolster is missing a clip just below the gauge panel. Could not find a part #. Suggestions?

And finally. When my wife drives, the 2-2 airbag flash error comes back intermittantly. Seems her butt is not as big as mine. Figure it has to be the seat hall-effect sensor. I could not find a part # for that either... any help is appreciated.

Thanks again! MC

Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Italianguy63
Put bulbs in the dash last weekend. One didn't "take" and was flickering... had to pull a "do over!" All good now.

Driving into work today in the dark-- seems the shift gate is not illuminated properly. Are there 2 bulbs in there? If so, what kind/size, and how do you get to them?

Same thing for the cigarette lighter in the console. No illumination for the lighter/ashtray. What is the bulb/process there?

My knee bolster is missing a clip just below the gauge panel. Could not find a part #. Suggestions?

And finally. When my wife drives, the 2-2 airbag flash error comes back intermittantly. Seems her butt is not as big as mine. Figure it has to be the seat hall-effect sensor. I could not find a part # for that either... any help is appreciated.

Thanks again! MC
Haven't needed to take any notice of shift bulbs (yet) but the cigarette lighter has a bulholder on the side of it. Shown with the ashtray unit removed:

Dumb questions of the day...-01-front-ashtray.jpg

Dumb questions of the day...-02-front-ashtray.jpg

It's a console out job to get to it:

Dumb questions of the day...-04-cigar-lighter-connector.jpg

Missing bolster clip - photo of exact location?

Wife's butt size? If we don't hear from you again, we'll know you mentioned this to her.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 02-29-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 AM

It looks like the shift gate may have 3 lights in it. One towards the top, and one towards the bottom. A third lights up the shift position. The top part is dark, so I figure I have a problem.

My cigarette lighter doesn't look like that exactly. I was just in there doing the radio install. It has a twin spade connector for the lighter and a single spade connector (red) for the light I assume. But, I did not see where/how the bulb was. Looks like I will be taking it apart (again). I am hoping someone will know the bulb sizes so I can have them on hand when I do it.

The knee bolster is held on by two bolts underneath, and by two press in posts that attach to the dash in holes with metal clips. Seems one of my metal clips is missing (and is loose). They are just to either side of the steering assembly just below the wood instrument cluster.

My wife's butt size is tiny. She is about 115 pounds (weight not money). I'm a good bit over twice that!! Seems my butt works the sensors better, but not as attractive.

Attached Thumbnails Dumb questions of the day...-1565c5b.jpg  
Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The bulb I used to replace the oem was a 13 volt one like this from O'Rielly's. The mount (2nd pic) for the bulb is a two piece job with, of course, three (yes THREE) tabs holding the the two pieces together. I used an X acto knife the shave the tabs down for easier removal. You'll have to open the mount up to replace the bulb.

Attached Thumbnails Dumb questions of the day...-bulb-001.jpg   Dumb questions of the day...-bulb-002.jpg  
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM

Is that just a regular #194 bulb (like on the side markers), or smaller?? MC

Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

It says "74" on the bulb. It's very small, about 2/3 of an inch tall.

The following users liked this post:
Italianguy63 (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 AM

That makes more sense.. thanks! MC

Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 AM

Back to part of the original question. Does anyone know of a (maybe Ford) replacement part # for the seat position (hall-effect) sensor in the Driver seat? It seems Jag shows to drill the rivets out and replace it in the repair proceedures, but I can not find where the part # is offered without replacing the seat frame.

MC

Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How did you determine it was the hall-effect sensor? You might want to try the easier solution first and reseat the plug in the back of the seat:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eat-not-38181/

The FAQ is full of really useful information...

Old 03-02-2012, 07:43 AM

Thanks Ed. Yes, I have seen that thread. I have had the seat out and cleaned all the contacts. It actually improved significantly as it worked for about a week. It acts up when my wife drives, but not when I do-- and I weigh a lot more. It makes me think it is an alignment issue or weak seat position sensor. I may try taking the seat out (again), and bending the sensor even closer to the blade as one last try. MC

Old 03-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The 2-2 problem (driver seat side airbag) is typically caused by poorly seated plugs, one in the back of the seat, one under the seat. I still don't see how it could be a hall-effect sensor problem -- wouldn't that cause both airbags to show a fault?

Old 03-03-2012, 02:02 PM

OK-- Update, I have worked through most of this....

1st-- J gate has probably hard wired LED's in it. I disassembed as much as I could figure out and then quit. Does not look to be servicable. So, I will live with the half-lit J-gate.

2nd-- Thanks Skid, it was a #74 bulb in the cig. lighter. Pretty tough to get to. and really hard to get out of the plug! Mission accomplished however.

3rd-- Bolster clip. Minor, skip for now.

4th-- 2-2 airbag light. YES. In my case, hall-effect sensor problem. I can make it start and stop. It is an alignment issue between the "blade" and "sensor." I am going back out to work on it and will take some pictures to explain. Look at my "Airbag Fault" post later for pictures.. Hopefully, I can get it nailed down today.

Mark

Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM

NOOOOO... I lied.

Got back into the seat and could NOT replicate cleaning up the 2-2 flash code.

Tried all kind of different configurations of the seat position hall-sensor. Kept getting the 2-2 flash code.

I spent the whole day, scrubbing connections, adjusting, etc..

I finally gave up (with the 2-2 flashing in my face.)

Bolted everything back together... guess what-- it went out. Even with my skinny wife in her seat position.

Car is posessed. We will see if it lasts more than 4 days this time!

Stay tuned....... MC

Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Fingers crossed for you.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Skinny wives and the 22 code

Turns out that I'm a skinny wife too (105 lbs, 5'1"), married to a 220 lber. I also set off the 22 code... but only when I inflate the lumbar pillow. When the lumbar pillow is inflated, I'm too far forward for the seat to properly register my existence. When I deflate the lumbar pillow and bounce a little on the seat as I start the car, all our 22 blink code problems disappear. I expect it could be corrected (and I could start the car in a more dignified fashion) if we cleaned the sensor...

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 12:28 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by kkat
Turns out that I'm a skinny wife too (105 lbs, 5'1"), married to a 220 lber. I also set off the 22 code... but only when I inflate the lumbar pillow. When the lumbar pillow is inflated, I'm too far forward for the seat to properly register my existence. When I deflate the lumbar pillow and bounce a little on the seat as I start the car, all our 22 blink code problems disappear. I expect it could be corrected (and I could start the car in a more dignified fashion) if we cleaned the sensor...
Welcome to the forum kkat,

It would be good to see one of your neighbours buy a Jaguar and, having witnessed your starting procedure, think it's the correct way to do it and copy you! Got to clean that Hall Effect sensor and regain your dignity.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 08-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

[QUOTE=
4th-- 2-2 airbag light. YES. In my case, hall-effect sensor problem. I can make it start and stop. It is an alignment issue between the "blade" and "sensor." I am going back out to work on it and will take some pictures to explain. Look at my "Airbag Fault" post later for pictures.. Hopefully, I can get it nailed down today.

Mark[/QUOTE]

Mark, check out the thread by H20boy on the 2-2 flash code. You will probably find that the fault is the connector in the seat back connecting to the air bag. I had the same myself.

There is no hall effect sensor for the air bag system, they are for the seat movements.