XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an early XK8 a china cabinet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is an early XK8 a china cabinet?

Ok I just spent a beautiful weekend here and left the Jag undriven in the garage!! Reading all of the problems really made me upset. I went and got my ASC MCLAREN Capri convertible out of storage and got it ready to sell in a car corral this coming weekend.

Monday I decided to research some items to decide how bad it could be. I got some help with production numbers and figured out that there are about 76,540 of these 4.0L in the XK and XKR cars. I have no interest where else they may have been used.

Now I feel better. Is the failure rate 10% or even 20% of these motors? I would take that bet in Vegas and with some vigilance and good hearing I am going to drive the damn thing.

If you own a Buick V6 3.8L then you have to watch your lower intake gasket for failure. After 100-120,000 miles. A Miata used to require a new timing belt at 60,000. This issue is nothing new in engines.

I won't accept a 1% pilot or engine failure in an airplane but I will live with these odds on this motor!

By the way the 4.0L v8 was a Ward's 10 best motor in 2000 and I figure that covers my 99.

I am going to focus on the many many positives of owning this Cat, which is the most beautiful car I have ever owned.

Nuff said

Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Is an early XK8 a china cabinet?

Yeeehaw.
You can about triple that number when you throw in the XJs and then the S-Type varient of the 4.0 too. They are good engines overall and I would say that the actual failure rate is under 20%

Enjoy your ride.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say I probably did the worst thing and just went and picked up a 1997 model imported from Singapore into NZ. The car was dirty and probaly I should have stayed away however, it's looks just drew me in (Ice Blue colour). After a good tidy up it is back to looking as it should even with the orginal star fish wheels. What helped in the decision was finding a car with the orginal manuals and a full service history from a Singapore Jaguar delaer, the engine ran well and perfomance was as expected. The car is old and although 63,000KMs on the clock there are some supension knocks that will need sorting but overal I drive it every day and in comparison with the newer car I had before the cost of parts and labour is no different any high performance car will cost money. Sit back and enjoy the ride if the car performs well and it has lasted this long then it will go on, my previous car only went for 3 years just as the warranty expired and begain to fall apart (Chrylser).

Old 08-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Galpin Jaguar maintenance manager told me they routinely get 99-2002 XK8s in for regular maintenance that have 185,000+ miles. Of course, there are afew pigs in the mix too.

Mine is a 99 and I drive the **** out of it. currently 87,000 miles.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I am the PROUD owner of a 1999 xk8 and we use it as a daily driver. It has been driven 109,000 mi and runs great! Now, have I had problems? YES! Was it worth the repair? YES! You ask why on the forums is everyone talking about repairs. A good question and is best answered by saying the forums like this is a knowledge base for others. Now reading the articles in these forums could scare the hell out of the average person contemplating the purchase of a Jag xk8 but, have you taken the liberty to look at other forums pertaining to other cars? It may change your mind and your opinion on your xk8.

The other day returning home from dinner I found our car parked next to a new Jag xk and the owners were just getting into their car when we began looking at each other’s Jag. We struck up a conversation about both cars and compared the two.

My advice to you is for you to drive the car and enjoy it as long as you can. It is a great car and it is fun to drive. Will it give you a fit over repairs? From time to time yes it will. I love my (our) car and love driving it!

As a cancer survivor, life is short!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I have had my 97 for a year now. I new about the Timing Chain Tensioner. It DID go at 70k. I fixed that and a few other things while it was apart (water pump, plugs, other little thing) and have no other issues with it. I did have front rotors and pads put on but she has been good. Worst thing is it sits for a bit if a major repair comes. We have OTHER cars to drive if it does go down. I did not buy it thinking it would be a daily driver and never have issues. As it turns out now, it prob get driven 2-4x a week on avg.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my 98 XK8 convertible for just over 5 years. I've changed the oil, upgraded the wheels, brake pads, rotors, grille, exhaust tips, and some very light interior work. I've replaced the battery, radio, cd player, rear view mirror, and a couple of bulbs. I must say, I read the forums and start to wonder "Am I just lucky"? I purchased the car as a summer toy. I have just hit the 65k mile mark. I love to drive it, and I love to look at it. So far, so good. Enjoy the car. Don't worry about the possibility of a headache. It could be worse, you could have purchased a Pinto.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:21 PM

I've had my 1997 XK8 for 3 months now, I bought it with the gearbox in limp mode for £2,500, I found an engine and box out of a 2001 car and decided to swap both which was harder than it looked.

A previous owner had spent a lot of money fitting the XK-R bonnet(hood) front bumper, grille, correct badges and wheels so it looks the part.

Every time I walk out to it I have a smile on my face.

I took it for it's MOT test which is an annual test to establish it's roadworthy, they check bushes, suspension, tyres, wheel bearings,brakes, emissions etc etc, it sailed straight through with no faults, when he put it on the brake tester , he said bloody hell they're good as the dial went right round

A friend of mine summed it up, his manager has just spent £20,000 on a new peugeot convertible which was parked next to the jag.

he looked at the peugeot and then at the jag and said if you pulled up at a 5* hotel at the same time as the peugeot the valet would come to you first because it looks like you'd give the biggest tip as you're driving a £35,000 car .

They're not that expensive to run as long as you're not going to Jaguar for parts and service,i'm amazed by the constant listing of parts on ebay for peanuts compared to what jag would charge

Old 08-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Yea the dealer is STEEP on costs!

Old 08-30-2009, 05:46 PM

One point that always seems to be ignored when asking about the cost and problems of running a jaguar is depreciation.

I've never owned a new car, the closest I got was a 6 month old Ford Mondeo ST200 , It depreciated faster than I could pay for it, in the 2 years I owned it I lost £7,000, had I bought it new I would have lost £12,000.

I can't see me spending £12,000 on my XK8 if I live to 75 (i'm 48 now)and never sell it so I can't say i'm worried about the running costs.

Plus it puts a on my face every time I look at it

Old 08-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

HUD that displays speed on front screen
Now that would be cool, and i'd install it!

Old 08-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought my 99 xk8 coupe with 31K and pain just under 29K. The only major problem was the nikasil linings. I had a reman engine instaslled under warranty. My engine has a tag on the head@block on the passenger side by the fire wall that says reman and has a reman number. You could look there to see if yours had the nikasil lining issue addressed. Everthing else i've done is maintenance. But parts are not cheap but you found the best site to find the best source for the most cost effective alternative to the dealer.

On oil changes I am using Castrol edge that was a 15,000 or one year change interval plus a warranty against oil related failure. This saves you money even if you use dino as your choice. Just plan on setting aside money each month as you should on any vehicle for surprises and maintance. All cars have issues.

But nothing looks as good as a Jaguar XK. Looks good standing still.