Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Light came on AND Restricted Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 AM
XK8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light came on AND Restricted Performance

Geeeeez, I just had the XK8 at the Jag dealer a month or so ago for a clogged fuel line.

Just this morning, on comes the engine light, with the message RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE in yellow/orange.

Can any one give me any idea of what this could be? I know it's not an immediate emergency, because the message was in yellow/orange and not red.

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

It could be a number of things from a TB plug, MAFS to a vacuum leak. Get the codes!

The following users liked this post:
XK8 (12-20-2010)
Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

If you don't have an OBDii scanner, just take it to Autozone/Advance/Pep Boys and they will read the codes for you for free. Then tell us what codes you have and we can be of better assistance. There are many things that can cause restricted performance.

XK8 (12-20-2010)
Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Actually, restricted performance typically limits the rpm to 3000 and only one gear and this can be trouble if you need much speed for anything. I would be afraid to drive a car with limited rpm and a single gear anywhere except a repair place. As was said, get the codes read to start finding the problem.

XK8 (12-20-2010)
Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 AM
XK8

THANKS. I'll get the codes, I'm going in tomorrow to the Jag dealer. Never a dull moment - HAPPY HOLIDAYS and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:06 AM
XK8

GREAT advice. THANKS so much. I'll remember that for future reference. I have the XK8 scheduled with the Jag dealer in the morning. HAPPY HOLIDAYS! and Thanks.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 AM
XK8

Hi, thanks for replying. When the RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE light came on, I was very puzzled as I just had the Jag at the dealer a month or so ago. Anyway, I immediately really pushed the car into high speed (I was close to home in case I did break down), and the car drove like it usually does... like a dream. So I don't think it is anything to do with the RPM's or gears. Thanks all the same.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 AM
XK8

Reverend Sam... I am going to Pet boys or autozone now, I'll be back with the reading in an hour if you can help me find out what the code means, that would be GREAT. Be right back. THANKS so much. You guys are GREAT!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Old 12-20-2010, 10:29 AM
XK8

Reverend Sam, I just got the codes. The codes are OEM P0171 and P1000. Keep in mind, that about a month ago, I had the fuel injectors cleaned (they were clogged), and I did put an additive in the full gas tank because I don't drive the car much, and the dealer said to use Bg products Supercharge II inj. cleaner fuel stabilizer on each fill up of gas as this would prevent a build up on the injectors. Not sure if that has created this current problem.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Old 12-20-2010, 10:32 AM
XK8
Default Here are the codes

Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong area, but I'm pretty new here and still learning my way around.

I just got the OBDii scanner codes (Thanks for Reverend Sam's recommendation).

The codes are OEM P0171 and P1000.

Keep in mind that about a month ago, I had the fuel injectors cleaned, and I did put an additive in the full gas tank because I don't drive the car much, and the dealer said to use Bg products Supercharge II inj. cleaner fuel stabilizer on each fill up of gas as this would prevent a build up on the injectors. Not sure if that has created this current problem.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

I did a SEARCH for you, and came up with this... (system too lean bank 1) you've got an air leak, OR you need to clean/consider the mass air flow sensor located just downstream of the air filter box

The XJ8 & XJR of similar years has identical powerplants, and the systems are similar...along with their issues.

XK8 (12-20-2010)
Old 12-20-2010, 12:31 PM
XK8

THANKS so much. Sorry for the double post, but I'm a bit lost around here. Happy Holidays

Old 12-20-2010, 12:34 PM
XK8

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. You are a God send. HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Old 12-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

You need to look at the chart I provided in my previous response it gives you a list of possible causes. A am also going to provide a trouble shooting guide to help you along in trying to find your problem and in most cases the P0171 is a vacuum leak, keep in mind I said most of the time not all the time.. http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...otos/P0171.pdf When I was looking for my vacuum leak I used Throttle Body cleaner to track my leak, when the engine stumbled I found the leak. I am guessing that your problem is at your air intake pipe. Either not installed properly or a leak in the bellows. I did see that you had a previous problem and used BG to clean the injectors so at this point I would rule fuel out of the equation.

XK8 (12-22-2010)
Old 12-22-2010, 09:03 AM
XK8

Been at the Jaguar dealer since 7:30 am this morning, and they JUST told me that the mechanic took the car out for a ride and the car died, so they are waiting for it to be towed back to the dealer. STRANGE because even though the OBDii code revealed 107 and the car drove PERFECTLY over to the Jag dealer, I don't understand how the car just died. I am so mad. Waiting or the Jag Tech to come back with my car. Even though I do have the codes from the other day, I'm interested to see what the Jaguar dealer codes come up with.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XK8
Been at the Jaguar dealer since 7:30 am this morning, and they JUST told me that the mechanic took the car out for a ride and the car died, so they are waiting for it to be towed back to the dealer. STRANGE because even though the OBDii code revealed 107 and the car drove PERFECTLY over to the Jag dealer, I don't understand how the car just died. I am so mad. Waiting or the Jag Tech to come back with my car. Even though I do have the codes from the other day, I'm interested to see what the Jaguar dealer codes come up with.
P0107 code, is that correct?

XK8 (12-22-2010)
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM
XK8

Gus, Yes, the code read the other day was PO107. I JUST got back from the Jag Dealer in Tampa. Had to rent a car to get back. I told them I wanted a print out of the OBDii codes. They did not give me a print out, but after they told me the car died when the mechanic took the car for a test run, they gave me these codes, written out by hand, not on the computer print out.

They told me "Broke down trace and ID's Code 171 and 174 trim fault, no output fuel pump" then told me $1000 to repair. Dealer is telling me that it will take 4.6 hrs to replace a fuel pump, fuel filter, and a fuel sealing ring. NO mentioned of the code PO107 at all.

That is a completely different code than I got the other day from auto supply read out. I'm upset because I'm tired of being ripped off. I was so upset, that I forgot to make an issue with the dealer about not giving me the computer read out of the codes. So this is the update. My car should be ready in the morning.
Should I question the mechanic as to why I got a PO107 code the other day (I have not told them that yet), and then today, when the car is at the dealer, they are telling me a completely different problem? I'm so confused.

Last edited by XK8; 12-22-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I see no reason for you to not offer that information, when trouble shooting you need all information available to identify it properly. That is why at times trouble shooting on the internet fails at times, “GIGO”. I am not sure what you are up against but I found the dealerships are trying to help you. The sad part is that it has a hefty price. Replacing a fuel pump is not a difficult task just time consuming. If you want to see what is involved use this link http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...eplacement.pdf I wish you luck and please let us know the results..

XK8 (12-22-2010)
Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

Fuel pump could be the issue, as they do occur (more on the xkrs than the xk8s however) but I am a little hesitant to believe that both banks lean prior to fuel pump failure (i know it makes sense, but all of a sudden?). Plus, its really easy to diagnose and prove a lack of fuel pressure. If you do a search the forum on the pcodes 0171 and 0174, you'll see that it's almost always a break in the vacuum lines somewhere or a part load breather clogged up.

If they charged you for a fuel pump, I'd as for the box it came in and the old one back. Tell them its for an experiment.

I hope they are being fair to you on this.

XK8 (12-24-2010)

Quick Reply: Engine Light came on AND Restricted Performance