XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine swap/compatability

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine swap/compatability

Another victim of the timing chain saga, i have a 2000 xk8 and I need to replace the engine, (which I would do myself) the problem is I keep getting conflicting information on which engine will/won't fit. obviously when looking for used engines - the more search options, the better. My basic assumption is that any 4.0 ltr from an XK or XJ would just drop in, but I have read that some may not be compatible with the transmission. I have a couple of leads on engines, both from 2003 XJ's ( must be accident prone) any information on transplanting would be greatly appreciated !!

Old 11-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Swapping a Jaguar engine is a very complicated matter. AVOS is the forum's engine swap expert. Search his posts or look for 'Engine Swap'

Each and every one of a great number of sensors must report readings that the ECM is expecting or it just will not work.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:12 PM

Thanks "test point" Now that I am over the initial shock of seeing the broken timing chain, I believe i will pull the head to see the extent of the damage before i commit to buying a salvaged engine "the devil you know etc..."

Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lewkas...I'm in a similar boat as you. Only I've had my '97 XK8 with 49,500 original miles since August. It's had two tanks of gas. And the engine failed. Next to no compression in cylinder #3 and chunks/shavings of metal galore. This less than a week after an inner tie rod and wheel bearings. Hasn't been a good month.

Since Jag wants to sell me a new engine installed for $38.00 more than I paid for the entire car in August I'm going used too. I found a 4.0 out of a 2001 XK8 from a well respected part supplier. I really want it because it has 46,000 miles on it (which is so close to my odo). I did a search here with "engine swap" and couldn't find the exact answer. I would have sent a PM to AVOS but felt weird being a new member here.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Old 11-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

anXKinNJ,

The AJ26 ('97) to AJ27 ('01) swap is much more complicated than a swap with the same engine type.

Lewkas,

Why not try replacing the chain/tensioners and see what compression/cam clearance you have before pulling the head.

An engine swap between different engines is a complicated matter that may not be financially feasible if paying by the hour. A hobby mechanic can make it happen with enough research and time.

One poster swapped the AJ27 into an earlier car and then found that that the flex plate was different and had to start over.

Avos is a long time member of the forum and most helpful. I searched on name and subject and came up with this link. I know he has posted an exhaustive list of items to address but I cannot find it at this time. By all means PM him and ask for a link to that post.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...os+engine+swap

The following users liked this post:
Redline (07-18-2019)
Old 11-30-2009, 10:10 PM

XkinNj
I will try to give you the benefit of my research an hopefully save you more grief, from what I can tell, it is highly-NOT recommended to purchase an engine other than the model that came in your car . In your case an AJ26, if you drop in the 2001 (AJ27)engine you could be looking at other significant modifications to make it work properly=more$$$$. I realize this is a broad and intangible statement, but it sure seems to be the one thing most people agree on. (hopefully these statements were based on experience) Next problem, if you find a decent replacement, you will most likely want to upgrade the tensioners and guides=more$$$....at this point you should run out and sit in your car and have a "Zen" moment.

Redline (07-18-2019)
Old 11-30-2009, 10:30 PM

Hi Test Point
I figured since I had the front cover off, it's not really a big deal to pull the heads, and I needed to make sure there was no damage due to the loud banging that occurred when I first tried to start it ( after the chain had broke...oops). Everything looks good so far, I took the heads down to a cert. jaguar mechanic for a second opinion and he confirmed that they are good...yes,he was surprised too,lucky eh!
Also, he mentioned that it would be prudent to check main bearing #5, apparently this has been another weak point on these engines.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member

I finally found a couple of threads with more information than you probably want to know about engine swaps from Mortorcarman, JagTechOhio and Avos in this General Tech Help and on another forum.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...uick+reference
http://tiny.cc/wP9Fa
http://tiny.cc/7Dq0Q

Good luck and keep us posted on your efforts.

Last edited by test point; 12-01-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM

well...decided to rebuild what I have, there is no damage or indication that the valves hit the piston(s) most likely because the engine never fired after the timing chain broke. , even if I did buy a salvaged engine, with what I have learned so far i would be compelled to replace all these same parts anyway. I'll let you know how I make out...taking it apart was easy...putting it back together could prove to be ....challenging!! lol

DavidYau (07-15-2019)
Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Well, you have 6 months until Spring in the Rockies to get it done.

I wish you well. Locally rebuild or remanufactured correct engine probably the best solution.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Default update

well, I changed the timing chains, tensioners, removed the heads and had them tested, new water pump, gaskets etc... started it up, ran for 2 seconds then stalled, won,t stay running? appears to be flooding? all indications are pointing towards the timing being off? any suggestions at this point would be helpful! In the meantime I'm going remove the valve covers and see if there is anything amiss

Lewkas

Old 07-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Default I want to swap my 2,7 diesel

Originally Posted by Lewkas
Another victim of the timing chain saga, i have a 2000 xk8 and I need to replace the engine, (which I would do myself) the problem is I keep getting conflicting information on which engine will/won't fit. obviously when looking for used engines - the more search options, the better. My basic assumption is that any 4.0 ltr from an XK or XJ would just drop in, but I have read that some may not be compatible with the transmission. I have a couple of leads on engines, both from 2003 XJ's ( must be accident prone) any information on transplanting would be greatly appreciated !!
Please if you knew, could you advise which engine just works on my xj 2,7 d ? But bigger doesn't matter of which brand ?

Old 07-13-2019, 03:13 PM
Default I want to swap my 2,7 diesel

Originally Posted by Lewkas
Please if you knew, could you advise which engine just works on my xj 2,7 d ? But bigger doesn't matter of which brand but just sits good and no errors ?

Old 07-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

You may want to post in the local forum for your location. Most of the members of this forum are from North America where Jaguar never offered a diesel variant of the X300, X308, X350 and X351.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:25 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

As complex as modern cars are I would try to get the exact engine by type and date. I believe there is a company in California that rebuilds engines with warranty for around $2500. I was assume your best choice would be a totally re-manufactured "long block"

Old 09-06-2019, 12:28 AM
Default A big engine swap

Will it be possible to engine swap an XK 4.2 V8 for a 5L V8 SC from a land rover ? Even though both engines are made by the same manufacturer and almost identical.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

You'd need a ton of (Jaguar) electronics/computers...

Old 09-12-2019, 12:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

LS1 Swap seems to be the common favorite. A garage near me offers kits/conversions. Their kit includes:
  • Engine Mount Adaptors (LS engine to Jaguar chassis)
  • Transmission Mount Adaptor (LS transmission to Jaguar chassis)
  • Shifter Package (Jaguar shifter to GM transmission; not included on manual transmission version)
  • Cooling System Adaptor Piping (Jaguar radiator to LS engine)
  • Power Steering Interface (Jaguar steering rack to LS pump)
  • Oil Pressure Sender Adaptor
  • Driveline Adaptors (GM transmission to Jaguar driveline)
  • Air Conditioning Pressure Switch Adaptor
  • Conversion Manual
  • XJ-XK CAN Interface Module
  • Wiring Harness
  • CAN Installation Man

Would be a project, but look at the engine bay... ye gods. That LS motor pulls HARD.

Jaguar Specialties

Last edited by coronets; 09-12-2019 at 12:47 AM.