XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

European Recovery Cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 09:12 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default European Recovery Cover

I’m taking the cat for a short trip (1 week) to France.

I was just considering if its worth getting European recovery cover and it’s looking harder than I thought as the car is 18 years old.

Its insured with direct line but their green flag cover won’t do cars older than 16 years in Europe.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-17-2019, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

You do not say which country your originally based in.

If your in the UK try looking at GEM recovery. Take a look at reviews etc. There are some on AutoExpress magazine. When you compare what you get from GEM and the price you may conclude the main rescue services are a rip off by comparison.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

The Virgin IP Address suggests you must be in the UK.

I have crossed to mainland Europe once or twice a year for more than twenty five years and wouldn't contemplate doing so without Breakdown/Recovery cover.

I've only had to use it twice (XJ40 burst a coolant hose on Christmas Day 1999 in Amiens, France in and XK burned out an injector near Burgos, Spain on a Sunday afternoon last September). Neither were cheap incidents but they would have cost a great deal more without cover which included a courtesy car.

As far as I know GEM will not cover a vehicle over 15 years old which is why I cancelled my membership after forty five years with GEM and its predecessor CVM. I am presently with LV for UK and Continental breakdown insurance. The cost is reasonable (although I do have to have separate policies for each of my vehicles) and the service was good when I did need to use it last year.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 03-17-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by frankc
You do not say which country your originally based in.

If your in the UK try looking at GEM recovery. Take a look at reviews etc. There are some on AutoExpress magazine. When you compare what you get from GEM and the price you may conclude the main rescue services are a rip off by comparison.
Originally Posted by GGG
The Virgin IP Address suggests you must be in the UK.

I have crossed to mainland Europe once or twice a year for more than twenty five years and wouldn't contemplate doing so without Breakdown/Recovery cover.

I've only had to use it twice (XJ40 burst a coolant hose on Christmas Day 1999 in Amiens, France in and XK burned out an injector near Burgos, Spain on a Sunday afternoon last September). Neither were cheap incidents but they would have cost a great deal more without cover which included a courtesy car.

As far as I know GEM will not cover a vehicle over 15 years old which is why I cancelled my membership after forty five years with GEM and its predecessor CVM. I am presently with LV for UK and Continental breakdown insurance. The cost is reasonable (although I do have to have separate policies for each of my vehicles) and the service was good when I did need to use it last year.

Graham
thanks for your responses. It turned out I had AA uk cover through a bank account and I was able to add European cover as a result.

Thank you

The following users liked this post:
GGG (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 04:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Chalgravesteve
thanks for your responses. It turned out I had AA uk cover through a bank account and I was able to add European cover as a result.
Good to hear you have resolved this.

I've just checked the AA Terms & Conditions. They specifically include " We'll cover any car of any age, including classic cars."

Enjoy the trip and watch out for speed cameras and roadside checks in France. I received this last week six months after going through a speed trap in the Loire Valley.

87 km/h in an 80 km/h zone is a lot less forgiving margin than here in the UK.

Graham

Old 03-18-2019, 04:30 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by GGG
Good to hear you have resolved this.

I've just checked the AA Terms & Conditions. They specifically include " We'll cover any car of any age, including classic cars."

Enjoy the trip and watch out for speed cameras and roadside checks in France. I received this last week six months after going through a speed trap in the Loire Valley.

87 km/h in an 80 km/h zone is a lot less forgiving margin than here in the UK.

Graham
Ouch. Beautiful part of the world to get a ticket though!!

Fortunately we will be in a two car convoy (with a 1 series Merc with 4 adults in it!! LOL) so there will be less inclination to kick it down and tear off down the road....shame......