XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty via 'Direct Buy Auto Warranty'

Old 06-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Extended Warranty via 'Direct Buy Auto Warranty'

Hey Guys,

My 06 XK8 just finished up its Jaguar Extended Warranty in April. My Dad, who has an 07 XK8 came across this company 'Direct Buy' based out of New Jersey.

They are offering 3 years and 60k miles for $1870 for my 2006

Has anyone heard of this company?

Anyone used this company?

Is the price reasonable?

One of my primary concerns is the Convertible top and the hoses... What are the key words to make sure those are included in the warranty?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 06-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Hi, read the #22 reply to this thread. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-72253/page2/

Read the 3rd paragraph about my 2 after market warranties.
Not sure if direct buy is same as direct warranty, but both of my policies were very good. Just ask lots questions and get answers, not salesman changing the subject! They are not going to know all answers but they should be wiling to find out. You can also request to talk to an administrator underwriter, this is the person that will actually ok or deny your claim.

The main things to know or ask is it an " exclusionary policy" exclusionary will mean that they must list everything that is covered. IE. Convertible top, stereo, navigation if it's not listed, it's NOT covered.

A "non-exclusionary warranty" will mean they have to list the items that are not covered. If it's not listed, it is covered

The other thing is that the name of the company that sells the warranty is not the administrator of the policy. The administrator is the important one, the seller is just a seller and you will not have contact with them again for any coverage. Look up administrator on BBB or Dun and Bradstreet.
Good Luck and
Happy Motoring...

Old 06-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I have used an aftermarket warranty for a few cars now and I always got these through my wife's credit union. The one I have used is called "Members Choice" (but it may be called other things depending on the credit union). I have always had pretty good luck with these and the only hassle is for larger repairs there may be a bit of lag time in getting the repair "okay'd" by the warranty service. I have done one repair on the Jaguar so far (warning light malfunction) that was mostly covered by the warranty (I have a $100 deductible).

Doug

Old 06-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Direct Buy complaint - warranty

Start with the second item.

Also:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/direct-buy-a...ranty-metuchen

Last edited by Paul Pavlik; 06-11-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by o2manyfish
Hey Guys,

My 06 XK8 just finished up its Jaguar Extended Warranty in April.
Dave
My 2006 XK8 had a Select Edition warrantee when I bought it used from the local dealer. I think it just expired like yours. When I bought the car, the dealer sold me a Jaguar extended warrantee. I think I bought another 2 years. It cost a bit more than your quote.

I suspect if I have legitimate warrantee issues, they will be covered properly - no hassle. Not sure about that. I suppose I'll know for sure as time goes by.

I wonder if your dealer would sell you a warrantee like this now? I am not sure if I had to buy mine when I bought the car, or if I could have waited.

The good news is the car has been so robust that I really haven't had much opportunity to invoke the warrantee. It is a great car.

Jack

Old 06-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Imo:
Do not buy extended warranty from dealer! Period...

Old 06-12-2012, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by vettegood
Imo:
Do not buy extended warranty from dealer! Period...
Why not?

Jack

Old 06-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think it depends on the dealer. I bought an extended warranty, which I thought was a maintenance package, through Ford when I bought the car new (DUMB MOVE). It cost me $700 for 2 years of coverage and 30k miles--while the car was under its originally factory warranty. All I get is 4 oil changes, essentially. What a rip!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkCat
Why not?

Jack
Aftermarket warranties at their worst are out right scams and at their best are very difficult to successfully get a claim through.

IMHO take the monthly payment or lump sum amount you would pay for this warranty and put it in the bank. Add a little every month then when an issue arrives the financial hit will not be so tough.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by lorwood
Aftermarket warranties at their worst are out right scams and at their best are very difficult to successfully get a claim through.

IMHO take the monthly payment or lump sum amount you would pay for this warranty and put it in the bank. Add a little every month then when an issue arrives the financial hit will not be so tough.
We are going to have to disagree about this. I just looked at my warrantee. It is from Jaguar. Not some aftermarket warrantee company. The warrantee is called Jaguar Extra Mile. It takes effect after the Select Edition warrantee expires. It is an exclusionary policy. I looked to see what is excluded. Just normal stuff like maintenance items (spark plugs) etc. and aftermarket things like radios I might add.

Jack

Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkCat
We are going to have to disagree about this. I just looked at my warrantee. It is from Jaguar. Not some aftermarket warrantee company. The warrantee is called Jaguar Extra Mile. It takes effect after the Select Edition warrantee expires. It is an exclusionary policy. I looked to see what is excluded. Just normal stuff like maintenance items (spark plugs) etc. and aftermarket things like radios I might add.

Jack
Dealer warranty's are usually reputable. After all they are affiliated with the brand so they almost have to be. (The deductible's can be pricey)

It's the aftermarket (third party) warranty that I would advise against. That is the warranty sold by an independent company not affiliated with the brand.

This is the type of Warranty the original poster was asking about.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 AM

It's the aftermarket (third party) warranty that I would advise against. That is the warranty sold by an independent company not affiliated with the brand.

[/quote]

I totally agree. I would never buy a third party warrantee. Waste of money. Frustrating waste of money.

Jack