XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In the eyes of the beholder...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default In the eyes of the beholder...

Since I started lurking around on these forums, one common fear keeps surfacing and I haven't found a thread dealing with the subject.

The common fear many potential buyers of XK8s have is the fear of missing out on the XKR power. The question I ask is:

How many of you XK8 owners really feel like you're missing out?

Of those that have owned (or frequently driven) both versions, when you've driven the XK8 how does it feel? Do you feel like the only thing you're missing out on is the extra 80hp? How do you think the ride compares?

Personally, I haven't noticed any of a difference aside from the power, but I've never been fortunate enough to spot a XKR and XK8 close enough together to get a true comparison.

--------

And secondly, pretty much unrelated, are the body kits from Arden and Mina transferable? If you purchased one for your XK8 and then upgraded to an XKR can "simply" swap it to the new vehicle or will it leave holes/marks on the original?

Old 07-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

It all comes down to personal choice. Some people want to feel the extra boost... no pun intended. When I was out shopping for my car two years ago, I drove both versions (both 2003 models) and found that the XK8 was plenty fast for my taste. I really bought it more for the styling, the refinement, and the ability to fit my 6 ft size without needing a shoehorn, so 80 more hp were not a big deal. If I had to do it over again, I would still buy the XK8.
Alfred

Old 07-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I like my XK8 and would buy it again hands down. It is plenty fast for me. If I wanted a fast sports car I wouldn't have bought a Jaguar, I would have bought a Corvette. The XK8 is a GT in the true sense of the word.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

As for me, I turned 57 this year. I long, long ago got past the Speed Racer phase of my life. I am truly lucky to have lived through that time. If I wanted an XKR, I would have bought one. I figured that there were probably more XK8's made than XKR's, and that, since I plan to keep mine for quite some time, it would be easier to get parts for and to maintain over a long period of time. If I just wanted a little hot rod for a couple of years, I may have considered an XKR.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I'm going to get a ticket soon. The ~300 horsepower of the XK8 is way more than I've had in any other cars recently. My previous convertible was a BMW Z3. I'm not sure what the power output of the engine was, but my XK8 blows it away big time.

This evening I was driving down a stretch of 4 lane highway and I passed a Mercedes AMG of some sort. After I passed him he floored it and got back in front of me. We pulled up at a light together and he looked over at me, stuck his fingers up in the air and kinda twirled them around. I guess that's code for "wanna race?" I hit my sport button and waited for the light to change. We both took off at the same time, but within a couple of seconds I was at least two car lengths ahead of him and looking at him in the side view mirror. At about 50 mph he started catching up, and at about 70 he was passing me. I backed off at that point.

So I pulled up next to him at the next light and asked him what engine he had. He told me it was a 5.7 liter, and he said he was surprised I got ahead of him at the beginning. He asked what I had and I told him it was just a 4.2. He had a puzzled look on his face. Then the light changed and we both went our separate ways. I guess he was wondering how he got smoked, at least for a few seconds, by an engine that was about 25% smaller.

Anyway, I'm much happier with my engine now that I got the throttle cable adjusted. I still wish I had more HP, though. You can never have too much. But my 4.2 N/A makes me happy. I'm thinking about adding a nitrous kit, however, just for instances like I just described.

Oh, and back to the ticket thing. None of my other cars or prior cars have the "get up and go" of this car. I'm not driving fast, typically, I'm just flooring it every time I want to get up to speed. That's what's going to get me the ticket.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

Compared to the XKR styling, I'd sure like to have the mesh grill (the 3-piece, not the wraparound) and those hood louvers...that adds a notch on the cool factor.

I don't need the extra HP either, the N/A version is plenty sporty for dingin Infinity G35s that keep giving me issues.

I tell you what I am not missing, is the ability to source and pay for those brake pads/rotors, and if I had to get an XKR shock a couple weeks ago instead of the $90 Bilstein, it would have cost me another $200 just for the part.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I live in a hilly/twisty world and getting past 70 is difficult. The XK8 is far more capable than I am. But then I drive it like the GT that it is.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I guess I'm one of the few who wishes he had an XKR. I guess it is because I'm only 25. Don't get me wrong, this car was perfect, my 3 month search was dragging on, and it popped up 30 miles from my home convincing me it was the right car, but I'd still love an XKR.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Another way of looking at it is that the XK8's are incredible cars...............and the XKR's have even more of what made you love the XK8! A bit more HP, tweaked suspensions and enhanced exterior styling. I don't need the extra HP's, but I like to have them at my disposal for those few times that I really put my foot into it. I also like to have something different from everyone else, so I appreciate the fact that only 1 out 10 XK8/R's is an XKR Coupe. After it is tastefully modified, it is a rare, one of a kind (exotic if you will) car. I also think that in this instance, you can buy the Top-O-The-Line, for not much more than the base model (especially when buying a used XKR), and never worry about potential regrets.

I would never disparage an XK8 in any way, but for me, the XKR hits the mark.
My 2 cents,
Brian

Old 07-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

It just seems that there are some that are trying to find ways to increase the HP of their XK8's, when it would have been better/less expensive to go ahead and get the XKR in the first place. I would say drive both versions and then make your decision.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
It just seems that there are some that are trying to find ways to increase the HP of their XK8's, when it would have been better/less expensive to go ahead and get the XKR in the first place. I would say drive both versions and then make your decision.
I've driven both before. I've tested a 98 XK8 at the "low" end and 2003 XKR at the "high" end. But have never been able to test both models on the same day due to lack of availability. The comparisons I've got are seperated by weeks, if not months. In the short term, there's no wanting more because you're still in love with your new purchase... but as the weeks draaaaaag on... the feeling may change. That's what I'm trying to seek the common answer to. Especially when it involves mainly city driving.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

If you want to race people from stoplights and you really want a high performance car, then, you need to buy an XKR, not an XK8. Sounds to me that if you buy an XK8, you will wish that you had bought an XKR.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

When I was shopping around for a car to replace my 95 Corvette, I was looking for something with at least about the same power (a bit above 300hp). I knew that the XK8 had about 300hp except it was a heavier car by about 500 pounds. Still, the first time I test drove a "plain vanilla" XK8 it felt surprisingly peppy. In fact, for mild driving I expect it might feel a bit more spirited than the XKR since the XK8 is higher compression. My XKR actually feels pretty sedate until I put my foot into it and the effect of the supercharger kicks in.

What sold me on going for an XKR was the semi-exotic element of having the supercharger (once I was convinced that these were pretty reliable and not really a maintenance concern) and, of course, those louvers in the hood.

Doug

Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I am one of the few people here that have owned both. The XK8 was very nice but once I drove the R, I was sold. The suspension improvement alone was worth the nominal premium I paid for my XKR. Everything about the car is just that much better. Notice how I haven't mentioned the go pedal yet?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm with Aborealis and Brian2000XKR on this one. The R is definitely better in every way. I had a '98 XK8 coupe and was always wishing I had that little extra oomph. Last year I took the plunge and bought my R coupe. Like Matt however, I'm not going to be thrilled to buy some of the parts which are significantly more than the 8, but I love the power, the looks and the handling. The mesh grill and hood louvres add a lot (I have some photo's of my newly painted louvres coming soon), and the aluminum trim in the interior around the shifter, guages and pedals just adds a nice touch. Add the handling package, and I am in love. I honestly don't think I would have ordered one single thing different on this car, and that's rare for finding one used.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I too have owned both, a 99 XK8 and my current 06 R - I have to agree with jnporcello, Aborealis and Brian2000XKR for all the reasons previously stated.

The XK8 is a great car. However after the XK8 I had a brief stint with an XJR and was sold on the power. The power delivery is like a freight train it just keeps pulling. Additionally the Rs had relatively few options available meaning they were fully equipped standard. The only option my car doesn't have is the adaptive cruise which I am told is typically faulty and costly to repair. But as mentioned many times before - brake maintenance is big $$$.

Also if you do any driving in the mountains forced induction is the way to go. - All that said I would be weary of buying a "high performance" car used asyou never know how the previous owner(s) treated it. I was fortunate/stupid enough to by mine new (didn't like the 07 body style) but I have got 92,000 miles on it and it is still going strong! I will never sell this car, it is awesome.

Last edited by MarcB; 07-07-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going in with all the other XKR owners. I am sure that all the XK8 owners love their cars just like all the 'vert owners love theirs. But I shopped hard for 5 months for the right car after I wrecked my 2001 XKR coupe. I had the opportunity to drive a couple of nice XK8 coupes and convertibles, but I could never pull the trigger given the relative lack of power and knowing the XKR is the top of the line. The XKR just feels tighter. It moves with purposeful ease most of the time, but like a rocket when you want it. I will never get tired of the horsepower, torque, and suspension of this car...

Old 07-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

I've owned both too... XK8 conv, sold about 6 years ago, and currently own a 2000 XKR conv for about the last 8 months.

My memory of my XK8 was that the day-to-day ride may have been just a tad more comfortable, especially on bad road surfaces. Don't get me wrong, the ride in an R is still wonderful, but the indefinably wafty sort of feeling that only Jags can do might be better experienced in an 8. My 8 definitely had more body roll than my R though.

About the relative power: When I first got my 8 I thought it was quite powerful enough, but after a maybe 3 months I got used to it and ended up wishing it had more. Even though I've had my R for about 8 months now I've not had one moment where I felt I needed more power than it has, even after several road trips.

There's no denying the crazy grin an R absolutely will put on your face every time you hit the sport button + kickdown the loud pedal. The power an 8 has makes overtaking a comfortable experience. The power an R has usually makes it so effortlessly easy you hardly notice.

On thing that bugs the hell out of me is when overtaking, the occasional aggressive jerk that speeds up to match you or even lock you out of the lane. This is never a problem in a R, pretty much regardless of what car they're driving. By the time they've noticed you're pulling out, no matter how much they put their foot down, they can be little more than a dot in your rear-view. The best thing is that it feels effortless and all the while you retain complete composure in sublime comfort, meanwhile they look like they've been trying.

I don't think hearing the supercharger whine and feeling the smooth pull like a jet on its takeoff run will ever get old. The only real problem with R's is that driving them like that can be addictive and you gain speed quickly so make sure you pick your place and also get a radar detector.

Last edited by JustNiz; 07-07-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Compared to the XKR styling, I'd sure like to have the mesh grill (the 3-piece, not the wraparound) and those hood louvers...that adds a notch on the cool factor.

I've long wondered if I'm an oddball (and the only one) because I prefer the appearance of the older-style mouth hole with a deep-set (3 piece) grill, over the 2005+ single piece grill that just basically rounds out the nose shape.

It seems to me that an actual 'hole' appears more stylish and pure, and also more evocative of the Jaguar heritage of the D and E-type. Its interesting that the same trend of obscuring the hole also happened on the series 2 and especially series 3 E-Types, in my opinion, also to their detriment.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I like the three piece mesh of the older XKRs and I actually don't mind the lack of hood louvers on the XK8s

Quick Reply: In the eyes of the beholder...