Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failsafe Mode after I lost cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Failsafe Mode after I lost cruise control

I'd be worried moer about the fail safe mode, doesn't that mean that it stays in one gear?

I'm guessing that the cruise control button is not the problem, but that's just a guess. Was the cruise control working before? Cuz if it was working before, unless u smashed it or something.

Is the button by the shifter lighting up, or is it the buttons on the wheel that aren't working for you

Old 07-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing the cruise control just doesn't work when failsafe is on. I would just advice going to a jaguar certified dealer and getting the diagnostic test, cuz there's nothing you can really do without knowing what is wrong.

My dad's xk8 sometimes has the wierd things where for no reason stuff just temporarily doesn't work, and there's no physical way to figure out what it is without going to the mechanic. These cars are just high maintanance, definatly not a DIY car.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check to see if your brake light switch is sticking. Cruise won't work if it is.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do u have a check engine light also?
If u do have someone scan it andsee what codes pops up, let us know what codes u have.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:41 PM

Try Advance auto store or Autozone, they will scan it

Old 07-19-2007, 06:53 PM

Pop the hood, remove the left cover, u will see the brake master cylinder, right below it u will see 2 8mm nuts.
Its tight in there, good luck.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:44 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

check your rear brake light bulbs, I had a corroding bulb, causing short spikes that destroyed my brake light switch and get had the same thing happen to me.

The brake light switch is an essential function to the transmission operation, Jaguar told me, and will present NO CODES.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Er.... 6+ year old thread!!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 AM

My 98 did the exact same thing. I noticed it only happened when the cruise was on and touched the brakes. After it disengaged I would get the failsafe mode indicator and could not use cruise until the system recycled, which was typically several days. My solution is to simply turn cruise off on the console when it appears I am going to be using the brakes. On the open road it's not an issue - unless I have to slow down for a slower car.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Er.... 6+ year old thread!!
Yes, but it's still a relevant issue.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a similar issue several months ago in my 1998 XK8.
Driving on the highway, activated the cruise control, and the "ENGINE FAILSAFE" message came on and the cruise would not work.
I stopped the car, shut it off, waited about a minute and restarted. "ENGINE FAILSAFE" was gone, so I tried the cruise again with the same result. So I shut down again, restarted in a minute, and didn't use the Cruise Control for the rest of the day.
Since then, the cruise has worked fine and no warning lights of any kind.
Maybe my Brake Light Switch is on it's way out? Guess I'll replace it unless someone has another idea.
By the way, when I tried to engage the cruise and the "Engine Failsafe" came on, the car ran fine.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Dave B.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine Failsafe / no cruise control

Hey all,
Having the same problem I figured I'd check it out. Getting to the brake switch is difficult for an old man with bifocals. So I removed the seat.
The two 8 mm nuts are hard to get to. The top of the switch is slotted so don't mess with the top nut. The switch will slide down once the bottom nut is removed and the switch pulled of the stud.
After removing the switch a quick inspection proved the switch to be functional.
I cleaned the contact points with electrical cleaner. I noticed I could hear the switch actuate when engaged with a nice click.
After reinstalling I would listen for the click of the switch which wasn't there.
If you have this ENGINE FAILSAFE and no cruise control. I would advise you put your foot under the brake peddle and pull up on the brake peddle. If this allows the switch to engage enough your in for a quick fix.
I put I scrap piece of wood between the steele rod (which is welded to the brake peddles connecting arm) and the firewall. This rod actuates the switch. Pushing the peddle down by hand so the rod makes contact with the wood (wedged) against the firewall. Push down slightly buy hand. I did this with the engine off. Now the switch will actuate every time the peddle is released. It only needed an ever so slight tweak to work properly again.
Had I tried pulling up on the peddle with my foot when FAILSAFE MODE appeared without the cruise control working, I would have known the rod tension needed tweaked.
Great time saver and a no cost repair.
I hope this helps someone. Luff

Old 10-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

I don't like hearing the phrase "this is not a DIY car". OBDII scanners are not expensive, and with some research and help for the forum, just about any problem can be corrected. I had/have a problem with my brake switch. I have a new switch on order now. I get the "CRUISE UNAVAILABLE" and "CHECK REAR LIGHTS" messages. But, I check and all the lights work - which is very important ! There are two micro switches in the brake switch. One for the brake lights and park interlock and one for the cruise control cut off. Fortunately, on mine it is the apparently the latter. My previous Jag had the same issue. Not unusual for a ten year old car.

Quick Reply: Failsafe Mode after I lost cruise control