XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

False Hope

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts
Default False Hope

Back on Aug. 5th I posted that I had replaced the exciter ring in an effort to resolve a no start. I thought it had worked until yesterday, 2 months. Went to lunch, came out jumped into the car turned the key, nothing. Just as before, everything works but will not engage the starter.
Start over for the problem.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,
I have three keys for my XK8, but owing to low battery issues, and a misguided attempt at a jump-start, the car has forgotten two of the keys, which exhibit just such behaviour. I'm hoping they'll just need re-programming. Tell me you've tried that and it works!!
Cheers...

Old 10-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Sorry, I only have the one key. It works just fine, most of the time. As I said, after about 10 minutes I can start the car right up, no problem. Just never know when this issue will occur, was two months this last time and has been starting fine since then.
Hope your reprogramming solves your problem, let us know.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Any sounds while you try to start it? I ask because mine did the same thing for a while, but I finally starting hearing a light buzzing or "fish frying" noise. Turned out to be the starter itself. The buzzing was most likely the solenoid trying to do its job.

Not sure why letting it sit for 10-15 minutes would sometimes work, but there you go.

Mine was intermittent also...until it wasn't. Luckily I was stranded in my garage and not out on the road.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:13 AM

None, absolutely no power to the starter, been fighting this for 5 years, one of these days I or someone will figure it out because I am not the only one experiencing this.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

If the starting system is like other cars, there are 2 common types I know:

Type 1.
a. Big cable for power to starter attached between an external solenoid and the starter
b. Small wire to solenoid for signal
c. Ground

Type 2.
a. Big cable for power to starter attached between between battery +12V terminal and starter
b. A small wire that carries signal to a solenoid on the starter.
c. Ground.

Intermittent start:

1. Bad ground. Check grounds.
2. Loose connection, particularly in the big cable. The high current level can sometimes jump a small gap.
3. In type 1, solenoid failing, sometimes sticky. This component is what makes the clicking sound. Hitting it can dislodge it (sometimes)
4. Other loose wires
5. Something in a safety system that prevents the signal wire from going to 12V.
6. Something loose in the signal wire system, such as worn ignition, heavy keys hanging on ignition, etc.
7. Bad starter
8. In a Auto trans car, there is a neutral safety switch that can open the signal circuit and not work. Fiddling with the shifter can reveal this.

If you have good connect for high current power to the power terminal, and put 12 volts to the signal, a good starter will run. I've before in desperation (on another car) ran new wires to those points directly. Then it always started. (Can be dangerous)

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2015, 09:34 AM

Some really good information but, does not explain how/why in every single occurrence that after a 10 to 12 minute wait the car fires right up, runs great. Until it happens again in day's, week's or even month's.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Security system

Not sure if the Jag is the same, however your time frame seems to trigger similar traits with domestic vehicle security systems.

GM domestics for instance, use wrong key, ( or some type of failure) the starter is disengaged. let the vehicle sit for 10 to 20 minutes, the system will reset itself and start.

Could be either the system, or the key as someone mentioned. Maybe some one here can tell you how to disconnect the security system so you may isolate the problem. Hope this helps a bit. NothesameRich.

Originally Posted by Richxk8
Some really good information but, does not explain how/why in every single occurrence that after a 10 to 12 minute wait the car fires right up, runs great. Until it happens again in day's, week's or even month's.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

I had exactly this symptom with my Mazda Eunos. Every now and again usually after a short run it would refuse to start - no turn over or starter engage - occasionally a sound like the bendix trying to engage but nada. Leave it for 10 - 20 minutes it would fire up until one day it didn't - fitted a new (used) starter motor and no further issues 2 years on. I can only surmise it was the solenoid on the way out and one day it just gave up the ghost.
Steve

Old 10-14-2015, 09:55 AM

You are right on track with what I was thinking, something to do with the security system, have tried setting and resetting the system after it occurs but already locked out.