Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions on upcoming work

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default A few questions on upcoming work

Hey Lads,

So I just received my copy of the British Diagnostics JLR software. It was a huge PITA as they were backordered on the cable. I guess there was a problem with it or something? Anyway, they also ship via parcel post out of the UK with an option to upgrade shipping which I certainly would have used if I had known how long it would take to receive the item. It's only a cable and a USB stick so I don't know why they don't just ship via Fedex or something. Add in a few extra bucks to the cost and surprise the owner with rapid shipping? Not my business I guess but now I have the stuff.

Will be interested in having dialog with anyone else that may have the same setup so I can learn the nuances of getting around the software and performing specific tasks. If you own a copy of this software, please let me know.

1) Posted elsewhere in the forum is my thread on transmission issues. I am hoping the software will help me pinpoint the problem(s) here. I'm not overly concerned if I need to put a rebuilt in there but the problems seem to all start after a fluid and filter change and I have heard many different opinions about what could have happened including - you shouldn't have changed your fluid! Probably going to work my way back through the electronics and valve body just to see if I can discover what may be failing outside of hard parts inside the box.

2) I have also posted about a chatter I am experiencing on initial startup of the engine. Seems it's not uncommon and some have pegged it to the VVT system losing oil pressure when the car sits. It's pretty annoying and makes me uneasy so I am not willing to live with it, I want to find out what it is. Next on my list of semi-major work is replacing the valve cover gaskets as I certainly have a leak somewhere. After car sits for a while and I drive it, I can smell burning oil. Since I will have the cam covers off, I want to get advice on things to check inside and how to check them properly. Localizing the source of the chatter outside the engine is pretty much impossible so I am hoping there are things I can look for or replace while I am in there to see if I can stop the chatter. Ideas?

3) This is actually an XJ6 question but the question is general in nature. The air conditioning system on the car works but not very well. The compressor was replaced and the right amount of freon was put into the car. I did the work myself and noticed a high, high side reading and a low, low side reading. From looking into this, it appears I may have a blocked expansion valve but due to the significant labor involved in changing the valve / evaporator assembly, I am hoping that someone can point me to a list of more intensive testing to be 100% certain. I guess I can backtrack it to the evaporator by going through everything else first?

Old 05-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

A couple of thoughts, one recommendation that worked for me on the start-up clatter was go to a heavier oil, or use "Restore" additive. Other suggestions have been, use 'dinosaur' oil rather than synthetic.
On the A/C question, if you didn't get a strong vacuum, or vacuum was not held long enough, or if the ambient temp was low when you pulled the vacuum, you might still have air/moisture in the system. This would cause icing at the TXV or orifice tube causing your high, high side, low, low side readings and poor cooling.
The other things of course could be the TXV has debris in it, or the system overcharged.
For testing check line temperatures throughout the system, because A/C works in the latent heat area, there should only be a small (1-2 deg f) temp drop across the evaporator, but there should be a good drop between in and out temps at the consensor.
Regards,