Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few tech questions for new XKR owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts
Default A few tech questions for new XKR owner

Please bear with me if some of these seem bonehead but I figured I would get the quickest answers here (haven't yet had the time to carefully read through the manual):

Car is a 2005 XKR with 16,000 miles that has recently undergone a 40,000 mile servicing from a local authorized Jaguar dealer. My previous cars generally had some warning light that came on when servicing, such as oil change, was needed. Will this be the same for the Jaguar? On my Vette, I would end up doing oil changes about twice a year based on the "change oil" light (yearly mileage for me is between 5,000 and 6,000 miles) so I assume the Jaguar will have similar timing? Also, the previous owner noted that synthetic oil was used does that seem okay (the Vette also used Mobil One Synthetic and it worked very well).

I was surprised to see no plugs and wires when looking at the engine. I assume the plugs are under the "Jaguar" plates over each of the heads?

I have the 20" Montreal wheels and Pirelli tires. When I asked the previous owner how much pressure he used for the tires he said 38 psi. That seems high to me (I am used to running 32 to 35 on my cars) but maybe 38 is right for this car.

Even though I only have done mild tinkering with my cars, I always try to have copies of the Factory Service Manuals or pick up a Helms book so that at least I have a better understanding of the car. Are there some books/manuals that you guys/gals can recommend?

Is there any point to changing out the air intake for an aftermarket one (such as I have seen on the MinaGallery/JagXP website)?

I'm sure I will find other things to ask but thanks in advance for answers/advice.

Doug

Old 08-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts
Default RE: A few tech questions for new XKR owner

Nice car! Post some pictures.

No oil change light. Synthetic oil will allow you to go longer between oil changes.

Plugs are under there.

Check the tire pressure label on the car and run the recommended pressure.

The JTIS CD is available on eBay.

I tried the Mina Gallery cold air on my XJ8 and it kept setting off the CEL. Back to air box and all is fine.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Hey doug, regarding the tire pressure, my manual (and under the lid of the armrest) it says 32 front 24 rear. However, a tech on hear says he always sets them at 32 all around. I suppose it isn't that big of a deal then.

You could always put a K&N filter in the air box if you would like. Whether it makes a difference, you'll get lots of varying opinions. I see you noticed the better gas mileage. Highway mileage is most impressive with the 6-speed...if you're able to keep your foot out the gas.

The JTIS CD works rather well for most stuff you need to find on the car and work on. I can try to make a copy for you if you want. Send me a PM. For everything else, you gotta come back here for your answers. lol

Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks to all for the answers. I thought that 38 psi seemed too high for the tire pressures and would result in premature wear.

Another question. I have gotten in the habit with my cars to occasionally hook up a battery charger every month or so. Of course the manuals always say to unhook the cables before hooking the charger but I have never done so and have never had problems. Will this also be the case with the Jaguar. By the way, I have always liked batteries in places other than under the hood as they seem to last longer. So finding the battery in the trunk was a nice feature for me.

My son took a bunch of pictures of the today and I will try and get him to tranfer to my computer for uploading.

Doug

Old 08-30-2008, 03:06 AM
Veteran member

I am gonna say no, unless yours is special. I saw mine hooked up to a charger every time I went to the car audio shop, and everything else was hooked up as well. I've never experienced any problems with it due to the charging. What always happened was when the battery drained to a point with the radio playing loud, it began popping and destroyed both the front and rear speakers in the process. Since then, the shop started hoooking it up. It was their first XK8.

Surprisingly clean back there in the battery bay, isn't it?

Old 08-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I don't see the need to put an external charger on the battery, but if you are a weekend driver, it wouldn't hurt to hook it up to a 'Battery Tender'.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

The battery charger thing with me is just a once-every-few-months habit I have gotten in to but I do not overdo it. Just a couple of hours with a charger that senses the condition and reverts to trickle. For some reason I thought this would prolong battery life but I may be wrong.

Some more questions. I always like having touch-up paint and I think the car is actually Quartz (that is what the sticker says). Is there somewhere that I can find a sticker with inside the car that has a paint code?

Also, apparently these 20" wheels do not have valve stems and the previous owner gave me a stem that screws in when you need air. I read the manual and it seems like this was part of a kit that also included a tool to remove the plug that is screwed into the wheel so that I can install the valve. Where can I get that tool; do I need to buy the entire "kit".

The only other thing missing so far is that ashtray that fits in the console. Is the dealer the best/only place to get one (I do not smoke but I could use as an extra change holder).

Thanks,

Doug

Old 08-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

Did you find the sunglasses tray by your left knee?

Send a PM to ken@britishparts, see if he has a used ashtray in his parts inventory, he's been about 50/50 getting me some used parts.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

The sunglass tray is pretty slick. The manual shows there was some kind of net available to be hooked onto the passenger side of the console for extra storage of small items but I do not have that. I still have not been able to find any tags or stickers that list a paint code to get touchup but I think the color is Quartz.

Also missing are the codes for replacement keys, codes for the remote key fobs, and the code for the wheel lock socket. Perhaps the dealer can find these numbers based on the VIN.

There are a few items in the foam jack holder under the spare in the trunk but also one or two empty slots where it looks like there should have been some tool. What tools normally come with these cars?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 09-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

My tow hook in the boot was missing, you'rs is most likely also.

Your paint code should be on the inside driver door should see a paint code and a three letter trim code. Call your favorite dealer or pm one of the techs on here, and he can tell you the exact paint 'name' and trim color is. Dark, metallic greyish color?

Old 09-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

h20boyI guess I need to get in the habit of using boot instead of trunk (and bonnet instead of hood?). The car is a light grey metallic. The previous owner called the color Slate but I think he was incorrect as the window sticker that was in the glove box lists the color as Quartz.

Doug

Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Veteran member

Very good doug, british vocabulary and tone (saying it in your head while typing) is a requirement of jag ownership. Cheers. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't need a special tool to take out the screw in the wheels so that you can screw in the air valve
any flathead screwdriver will work I had that setup on my 2006 xkr what a royal pain

Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

I realize that a screwdriver would work but I didn't feel like carrying one around all the time. The "tool" shown in the owner's guide looks pretty small and easy to keep in a small pouch in the console. Maybe I will try a local tire/wheel shop to see if they have these things.

Doug

Old 09-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your best bet would be a shop that carries BBS wheels, I believe that your wheels are made for Jag by them as were mine