XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Winter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default First Winter

For the past week the snow had been melting, temperatures were creeping up and the rain was washing the salt away. I figured it would be a safe time to pull the XK8 out of hibernation for a bit. Unfortunately I ran into the dead battery problem which took me a little while to remedy. Today it was remedied. Today it started to snow again. I figured "what the hell, it's not that bad". Turns out, it doesn't need to be "that bad" out. Running P-Zeros on snowy/slushy roads is easily far worse than running bald the bald all seasons on my Camaro.

Here are some pictures from my adventure.

Attached Thumbnails First Winter-img_1605.jpg   First Winter-img_1610.jpg   First Winter-img_1614.jpg   First Winter-img_1615.jpg   First Winter-img_1616.jpg  

Old 02-21-2011, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

May be you should use battery tender to prevent your battery from being dead , have safe driving

Old 02-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Buddy, that saline stuff they are now putting on Ontario roads is far worse than the old rock salt. I wait until the second good rain after all the snow is gone, usually around Apr 1 before taking her out. Otherwise the spray gets up into everything, especially the engine.

These girls draw juice all the time. They have more computers than NASA so I got a cheap peak trickle charger from Total Battery (you might have one in London). My late XKR coupe, same as yours, fired on a touch of the key in the spring. I'll see what the reg-top does this year.

Try to be patient. Deep breaths. Look at Jaguar pin-ups for another 40 days.

All the best.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I wondered where you had been...just because the jag was hibernating for the winter, doesnt mean you have to avoid your supporters here. You know how many good threafs you missed? Or, you been in lurker mode thus entire time?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Matt I was wondering the same thing. Seems like quite a few regular posters have been in hibernation, but we have a quite a few new members.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 02-21-2011, 04:25 PM

I believe in my purchase thread I mentioned the gods of car purchasing were out to get me... Well it seems that they still had it in for me even after I purchased the car. I think I've mentioned on here a couple of time that I was in a relatively unpleasent custody battle at the time of my purchase. I know I told a few friends that once I bought this car, something would happen to make me regret it. Well it happened. Legal Aid (they were paying for my lawyer because my income did not allow me to pay for my own), kicked me off just before the dispute went to trial. I had to scrape everything I had together to may the retainer which proved to be a waste of money.

Within days of the trial, both of my computers died and shortly after the trial I was screwed over by Revenue Canada. It was until recently that I was able to get my desktop up and running and afford to put gas in my Camaro, let alone the XK8. Things are falling back into place both financially and whatever elsely.

In hindsight, I knew it was the wrong time to get the car, but I don't regret it. Things easily could've gone the otherway and I would've regretted not getting it. I searched and waited for five years to get this thing, never saw a deal quite as good as this and I was not going to give it up.

I love both of my cars. I love my daughter. They are the best things in my life. The only things that make me smile when I wake up in the morning... unless of course it's them waking me up with a headbutt...

Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by cadillac
May be you should use battery tender to prevent your battery from being dead , have safe driving
It wasn't a planned hibernation. I was planning on using this car all winter, but life got in the way and the XK8 was forced to sit for a lot longer than planned. Next winter though... I will have one, just in case.

Originally Posted by RJag
Try to be patient. Deep breaths. Look at Jaguar pin-ups for another 40 days.

All the best.
Three days of nonstop rain and melting snow turned most of the roads from the chalky white to a dark grey.

Patience is hard. I was planning on using this thing as my winter car... given it's heated seats, heated windshield, rear defrost that actually works, CD player that plays every CD on the first try etc. Couldn't afford winter rubber right away so I had to neglect it from December 16th until now. I store at a friend's place and she moved house so the car had to move. I put a few dollars of gas in, took it for a spin, a wash put it in its new home and couldn't get back to it.

Originally Posted by h20boy
I wondered where you had been...just because the jag was hibernating for the winter, doesnt mean you have to avoid your supporters here. You know how many good threafs you missed? Or, you been in lurker mode thus entire time?
I've been trying to catch up. Adding my two cents to any thread worth grave digging.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I hear you about summer tires in the snow. Yikes I took mine out a few times last year, but because of the increased snow and where my new garage is located, I haven't taken it out since early December this year. I was hoping to get it out a few times this winter to keep the battery charged (and to keep me sane but it didn't happen, so I pulled the battery (I store the car in the winter, so I can't keep a trickle charger on unless I pull the battery)

We got up into the upper 50's last week and I was really excited thinking I could get the car out this week…but then we got 14" over the weekend which dashed my hopes.

Here are a couple quick shots of me in the snow (last year)

Attached Thumbnails First Winter-100_0317.jpg   First Winter-100_0319.jpg   First Winter-100_0320.jpg  

Last edited by K.Westra; 02-21-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra
I hear you about summer tires in the snow. Yikes I took mine out a few times last year, but because of the increased snow and where my new garage is located, I haven't taken it out since early December this year. I was hoping to get it out a few times this winter to keep the battery charged (and to keep me sane but it didn't happen, so I pulled the battery (I store the car in the winter, so I can't keep a trickle charger on unless I pull the battery)

We got up into the upper 50's last week and I was really excited thinking I could get the car out this week…but then we got 14" over the weekend which dashed my hopes.

Here are a couple quick shots of me in the snow (last year)

Love the pics - thanks. Next time, put the top down and sit at the wheel in a short sleeved shirt - just long enough for a pic - to let us know how you deal with the winter and this beauty! Thanks, DaleD We do love our toys!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm sure there will still be some big snow piles around when I finally get the car out. I'll take a topless picture for you It just might be a few weeks yet.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:57 PM

This is getting bad. I can't keep waiting like this or I'll go insane. Cars are meant to be driven... not parked. Monday it will happen. I promise you. I will let the kitty out to play for a bit. With my luck though, there will be another few inches of snow Sunday night.

Love those pictures a little more each time I see them Keith.