XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting Modern Garmin2597LMT Satnav

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fitting Modern Garmin2597LMT Satnav

Got round to swapping out the original nav unit on my XKR and took lots of video while doing so.

I have uploaded the video to:

Jaguar XKR XK8 Fitting Garmin 2597lmt Sat Nav Handsfree 2014 - YouTube

"Jaguar XKR XK8 Fitting Garmin 2597lmt Sat Nav Handsfree 2014

This is an easy way to replace the out of date factory navigation on the XK8/XKR and add Bluetooth handsfree at the same time.
All done in 4-5 hours. Would have been quicker but I had to keep redoing videos when all manner of things, mostly me, went wrong. Out takes were many.
Cost was a modest £149 for the Garmin, £5 for an accessory socket and I already had the other bits and pieces.
Please don't be put off by my naff attempt at a Jeremy Clarkson pronunciation of "Jag XKR" at the start. I quickly fell back to my Scottish tongue and I did try to talk slowly for you all.
I forgot to mention in the video -
1. Wire the new power feed to white/red cable which is an ignition switched live.
2. Update the unit before fitting as you have to unclip the facia again to update via a laptop/PC every 3 months or so. No easy way to hard wire it to an accessible USB if you want to keep the traffic receiver.
I did look at other makes of unit but I think only the Garmin has the sleep mode at power off.
Nice unit Garmin.
If I say that often enough do you think they might send me another unit for my 4x4?
REALLY NICE UNIT GARMIN!!!
Seriously best of luck if you want to give this a go. Hope the video helps you."

The following 9 users liked this post by Lurker:
01Silverstone (02-28-2014), clyons (02-11-2014), HokieJag (03-08-2014), JajJohn (02-14-2014), malbec (02-13-2014), Norri (02-13-2014), OregonJag (02-15-2014), Tarlan (01-19-2016), waterloo (02-12-2014) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Excellent job, really looks OEM.

Mark

Old 02-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Nice job Lurker!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Excellent video. Many thanks.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Great video, thanks for sharing it with us!

Old 02-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks really nice. The only problem I had when I did something similar and installed a Samsung Note 2 in place of the Sat Nav was that the dash is naturally curved while the screens are flat and they always leave an unsightly gap in between. I found the best way to deal with this is to pick up a used SAT NAV for e-bay, remove the plastic front, butcher it a bit to fit whatever you are upgrading to and then the fit is perfect!!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by panastas
Looks really nice. The only problem I had when I did something similar and installed a Samsung Note 2 in place of the Sat Nav was that the dash is naturally curved while the screens are flat and they always leave an unsightly gap in between. I found the best way to deal with this is to pick up a used SAT NAV for e-bay, remove the plastic front, butcher it a bit to fit whatever you are upgrading to and then the fit is perfect!!
The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has a fab screen but wouldn't have done what I wanted. The only smartphone I have found with enough real world volume for hands free on the move is the HTC One, but at the price I wouldn't like to bury one in my dash. I did consider smartphones and phablets before opting for the Garmin. The Note is near enough the same size as the Garmin so we both had to contend with the small curvature of the dash which leaves that tiny gap at the sides. The oem unit has a side bezel with a matching gentle curve. Replicating this in plastic is certainly a worthy option, however the way I chose to get round this in the first instance was to use black tape. Obviously I use a strip with non sticky side to the front on top of wider tape the other way round. Otherwise over time there was the risk of dust etc adhering and making the edge obvious. I will see how this weathers, and if needed can try your alternative. I suspect any satin black plastic would do the job though without I hope having to get another donor satnav unit. I have umpteen cdr/dvd drive covers for the pc which I suspect could make good donors from which to cut and glue crescents over the side shut lines. Let you know if I have to go this way. Thanks for the worthy suggestion.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:34 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

These are 2 pics of my final install. I used the OEM trim of my Sat Nav to get around the curvature issue. Its held on the Sat Nav screen with 4 screws. Once you undo them you can remove it and attach it to the Garmin Screen. I think the Garmin is a bit smaller than the Note 2 so you may not have to modify it at all (I had to modify it because it would not fit otherwise).

However the final install is a 100% OEM look with the upgraded Garmin device no one will even know you had it changed!!!

Attached Thumbnails Fitting Modern Garmin2597LMT Satnav-img_2178.jpg   Fitting Modern Garmin2597LMT Satnav-img_2179.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Thanks so much for the helpful post. I purchased a Garmin 3590LMT with the intent of performing this upgrade last year, but never got around to it. Your video has rekindled my interest in the project! One question I had before I tear my dash apart was regarding the wiring of the accessory socket. Since your steering wheel is on the wrong side, will the wiring I need still be located to the right of the airbag? Or will it be to the left of the steering column? Also, how did you fabricate the mounting bracket for the unit? All kidding aside, thanks again for the great video.. super helpful!

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 02-28-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's cool

Old 02-28-2014, 01:01 PM

Hello my friend in the windy city. I believe your wiring harness is the reverse of mine but effectively still in the corner to the outside of the glove box.
I have attached a Jaguar Fitting Guide to help you. It covers wheels on the wrong side too .

The "mounting bracket" is really no more than some mild steel bent so as to provide a slight pressure forwards onto the rear of the Garmin through some rubber pads. The Garming is effectively mounted using strips of 3M tape top and bottom (same stuff you can put number/licence plates on with) The metal is an additional safety measure to prevents you being able to push the unit away from the dashboard in case you are heavy handed enough to somehow overcome the adhesive tape.

Hope that helps.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
01Silverstone (02-28-2014)
Old 02-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the fitting guide.. between that and your video I shouldn't be able to screw anything up *fingers crossed*. Unfortunately, because winter refuses to leave, it will be at least a month before I can get her out of storage and start working. So this will be at the top of my rather long spring to-do list. Thanks again!!

Old 03-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Excellent Video

Love the look of the gauges that others have installed on the outdated screen, but this gives me hope of retaining my navigation layout and looking good and updated. Great job.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

One more question I've thought of.. do I need to disconnect the battery before going ahead with this? from the video, I couldn't tell if you did or not. The guide you attached says it does need to be disconnected, but I'd rather not do so if I can avoid it.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:11 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

You don't need to if you don't want to, but it's always a good idea when working with the electrics.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Default Battery and side marker lenses

01silversrtone you really don't need to disconnect battery for this mod and put yourself to the hassle of the reset procedures that go with that.

You sent me a PM asking about the clear side marker lenses you spotted on the video. I hope you don't mind me sharing the reply for the benefit of others owners.

They are not only white but are led lit using the side running light wiring intended for the US market but fitted behind the lenses to all XKs. This way the come on with sidelights. The rear bumper has red ones with red leds. The OEM UK fitted orange reflectors look a bit dated now, hence the change.

You can purchase them from http://www.adamesh.co.uk

I have used this company for a few things and their products are first class as is their service and aftercare I must say.

I have included a small photo with them switched on to give you an idea how they look. Personally I put led sidelight bulbs in front too and always run with them on as the combination looks smart and hopefully helps keep me safe.

Attached Thumbnails Fitting Modern Garmin2597LMT Satnav-cam00170.jpg  
Jaguar84 (10-25-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Likewise just fitted the Garmin 2597lmt

Hi Lurker
Thanks for posting the vid it helped enormously with my own instillation of the same unit. In a slight mod to you I used the black plastic surround that was on the original screen, I also removed the switches and covered the apertures after taking out the raised areas e.g. Below the on off switch. I used some headlining material left over from covering the A posts to help it look more OE.
Where you wired it in permanently I have used the data cable into the Garmin then used a usb female to mini usb female so I can plug the supplied power lead into that then this goes to the accessory socket. All you can see in cabin is the adapter meaning when I need to update the maps I unplug the power lead and use a usb to mini usb to update the unit without having to dismantle the dash every time. The reason you need to keep using the supplied power lead is it acts as an aerial for the traffic info. See photo. Thanks for the inspiration,regards, Alan

Attached Thumbnails Fitting Modern Garmin2597LMT Satnav-image.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan-the-ifa:
HokieJag (03-08-2014), Lurker (03-08-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I have a navman unit but it will not work unless it is on top of the dash. Does the Garman have a better receiver so it can work in the dash.
have you had ay issues ?
Mac52

Old 07-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hi Mac52

Hi Mac
Yes the aerial is built into the power lead and works well even imbedded into the dash, I as I mentioned in my previous post to leave it in permanently you will need a USB to USB adapter to enable you to leave a USB cable attached for updating the maps via a laptop. Hope this helps, Al

mac52 (07-15-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 AM
Default Connectivity

Originally Posted by mac52
Hi
I have a navman unit but it will not work unless it is on top of the dash. Does the Garman have a better receiver so it can work in the dash.
have you had ay issues ?
Mac52
I have had no connectivity issues with this unit in dash.

mac52 (07-15-2014)

Quick Reply: Fitting Modern Garmin2597LMT Satnav