XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Folding side mirrors misbehaving after hard reset

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy Folding side mirrors misbehaving after hard reset

Hoping someone can set me on the right path. I scoured the search function but couldn't find anything on this particular niggle.

What I did:
Disconnected the battery to clean the terminals and sand and clean the cable crimps which were quite corroded. Did a hard reset.

What happened:
Battery drain seems reduced and certainly the pesky "DSC SYSTEM FAULT" notice on startup is gone. Headlights ceased to flicker.

However... the folding mirrors are now acting up. When (manually) unfolded, down-toggling the mirror switch makes both mirrors fold in, but the motors keep running past the folded-in point and eventually something gives way with a rather ominous "pop," after which activating the toggle again does nothing.

Looks like this:

I don't recall if the mirrors were folded in or out when I did the reset.

Any ideas? Thanks for your input.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (06-22-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 08:45 AM
Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts

I didn't know that x100 had folding mirrors. Does mine too? It's a XKR 2006 (built in 2005). Tks!

Old 06-23-2017, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

Mine sure doesn't, but it would be nice to have folding mirrors. I don't think any of us in the USA got them.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

JAGnor, seems like whatever tells the mirrors, you are folded, stop the motor, is kicking in late.

I just added this in hope of starting a discussion about that (feedback?) Mechanism that should stop it. Maybe someone knows?

I think we have discovered the tilt reach steering wheel uses current draw.

John

Old 06-23-2017, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

If all else fails, consult the handbook! This is the relevant section. Note that manual operation is not advised! Hopefully the reset instructions will still work! You might have to operate the toggle switch 2 or 3 times while the mirrors are in the folded position, waiting the full 6 seconds in between each. I believe the 'ominous pop' is the mechanism re-engaging.

Door mirror – power fold-back
To assist parking, the door mirrors can be
folded rearwards by operating the toggle
switch.
For power fold-back to function,
the mirror selector switch must be in the
centre position, and the vehicle speed
below 19 km/h (12 mph).
To fold mirrors back: Briefly move the
toggle switch (A) rearward and release.
Note: 6 seconds must elapse before
folded back mirror can be repositioned.
To reposition mirrors: Briefly move the
toggle switch rearward again.
Note:
1. Do not attempt to reposition power
fold-back mirrors manually.
Always use the toggle switch.
2. After a power supply interruption
(battery disconnection) with the
mirrors in the normal position, power
fold-back will operate on the second
press of the toggle switch. Thereafter
the switch will operate as normal.
Should either mirror be knocked out of
position and repositioned manually,
the mirror head will be loose.
To re-engage the mechanism, power the
mirror to the foldback position, then back
out to the drive position.

Last edited by astromorg; 06-23-2017 at 12:05 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by astromorg:
Diddion (06-23-2017), JagNoir (06-24-2017), Johnken (06-23-2017), Slodger (02-26-2023)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 2006 does have electric folding mirror

My 2006 XK8 has electric folding mirrors. The two owners who don't have them on their 2006 MY cars.... maybe you do. I thought I didn't have them for a long time. The little toggle switch is on the driver's door. Toggle it back to fold the mirror. Toggle it back again to open the mirror.

My car is a Victory Edition. Maybe it is unique to those. I do not know.

Jack

Old 06-23-2017, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Folding mirrors were optional extras until the Victory Edition in US and 4.2S in UK that both have them as standard.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:35 PM

Can you share a picture or video on how to fold them? It is an additional button or it looks just the same way with and without them?

Old 06-23-2017, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by SirJohn
Can you share a picture or video on how to fold them? It is an additional button or it looks just the same way with and without them?
John, I'll try to take and post a video tomorrow.

Jack

Old 06-24-2017, 05:51 AM

1. Do not attempt to reposition power
fold-back mirrors manually.
Always use the toggle switch.
First time I see this, which means I'm guilty as charged. A repeat offender, even.

I did download the driver's handbook, but for the US model. My car was originally delivered in Germany, so I figured I needed a handbook for a LHD and got the US handbook, which alas has no info on power-folding mirrors.

To re-engage the mechanism, power the
mirror to the foldback position, then back
out to the drive position.
I did try to make the mirror mechanism re-engage as described. However, I never get the chance to power the mirrors back to the driving position, since they become inop after the popping-off on folding in...

Not quite sure how to proceed from here. I might try another reset making sure the mirrors are folded out, but I'm not putting much faith in it.
Thinking it's more likely a mechanical issue to do with the motors and range of motion adjustment, so maybe time to dismantle the mirrors. I'd have to summon up some courage for that...

A side effect of this mirror issue is that the mirrors are a bit "floppy" when folded out, i.e. they don't sit firmly on their base. There is no visible movement at speed and the mirrors don't get misaligned, but there is a few millimeters of "give" which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be there.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by astromorg
... You might have to operate the toggle switch 2 or 3 times while the mirrors are in the folded position, waiting the full 6 seconds in between each. I believe the 'ominous pop' is the mechanism re-engaging.
Does this not work?

Old 06-24-2017, 02:41 PM

Here's a picture of the toggle switch that activates the power mirror. Just forward from the driver's side window control...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1498333016

Attached Thumbnails Folding side mirrors misbehaving after hard reset-jag-mirror.jpg  
Old 06-24-2017, 06:32 PM

Looks equal to mine, I'll try and see if works. Thanks!

Old 10-09-2017, 03:57 AM
Thumbs up All good

Update -

so my folding mirrors are back to folding normally again.

Turns out the culprit was the (passenger side) seat module, something I never would have imagined if it weren't for this very forum.

Removed the module - and yes, it *is* tricky with the seat stuck in the all-the-way-down position - and soldered a jumper wire across the expected broken track on the PCB. Now back in place with a strip of electrical tape buffering the exposed edge of the board against it's casing and the whole thing cushioned with rubber washers against the bracket and the underside of the seat, as per GGG's suggestion elsewhere.

This was of course all after dismantling both the mirror switch in the door and most of the driver's side mirror itself...

Big thanks to all of you who posted on this!

/Per

The following 2 users liked this post by JagNoir:
Dnomyar (12-19-2018), GGG (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by JagNoir
..... Turns out the culprit was the (passenger side) seat module, something I never would have imagined if it weren't for this very forum. .....
As I started reading through the thread I thought this is unlikely to do with a hard reset but could be a faulty Seat Module.

I remembered fitting a replacement Seat Module and then sometime later finding the powerfold mirror wasn't working but it took me a long time to relate the two events. The replacement module had come from an identical model year XK8 but the donor didn't have powerfold. As it says on the lid 'THIS PART IS PROGRAMMABLE'.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
JagNoir (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 07:02 AM

The replacement module had come from an identical model year XK8 but the donor didn't have powerfold.
Then I'm glad I decided to try and fix it myself instead of going looking for a replacement module, which would likely have been from a car without the powerfold. I would never have known the difference and would still be trying to live with floppy mirrors.

Apart from the satisfaction of actually being able to successfully complete a soldering job - and a finicky one at that - for the first time since I was, oh, 12...