XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found Tool Kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Found Tool Kits

I know that this might not be the right forum, but I know it is one of the most knowledgeable, and well attended. I found these 2 tool kits at the estate sale of a retired Jag dealer. I would like to know what year and models they belong with. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Found Tool Kits-img_2445.jpg   Found Tool Kits-img_2446.jpg   Found Tool Kits-img_2448.jpg   Found Tool Kits-img_2449.jpg   Found Tool Kits-img_2450.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 07:19 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Very cool.

The square looks like a series 3 xj6. The other looks older like a 420?

Great find!

Old 06-18-2017, 07:24 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts
Old 06-19-2017, 07:19 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Third on right was the same as my 1965 V8 2 1/2 litre saloon. Like a MK II.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

The Garrington's style, designed into the spare wheel, was also fitted to the Series1 E-Type, maybe later, but as noted, fitted to all contemporary Jaguars. Maybe that's the reason for the outrageous price which appears to be some 7-8 times greater than for the later, more numerous, XJ6 style . . . unless the grease gun really is worth the nearly AU$700 difference.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 06-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
The Garrington's style, designed into the spare wheel, was also fitted to the Series1 E-Type, maybe later, but as noted, fitted to all contemporary Jaguars. Maybe that's the reason for the outrageous price which appears to be some 7-8 times greater than for the later, more numerous, XJ6 style . . . unless the grease gun really is worth the nearly AU$700 difference.

Cheers,

Ken
Ken,

Complete Garrington tool kits are hard to find. The one shown above (eBay) is in average used condition due to surface rust, marks on the jaws of the open end wrenches, missing four items and is overpriced. Can't tell if the tyre pressure gauge is original (stamped Jaguar) or a replacement. I just happen to have a Concours tool kit in my MK2. Shannons Insurance has it covered for $AUD1000.

Stu

Last edited by StuG; 06-19-2017 at 04:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Stu, you raise a fantastic point . . . so often overlooked when new chums start asking questions about the value of prospective Jaguar classic purchases. Even short of concours condition, if complete, the inherent value of such items is way beyond most newcomers' appreciation. I am constantly staggered when referring members to their Owners Manual or spare set of keys "Oh, I didn't get anything like that with the car."

When we sold our Series1 E-Type, it was complete right down to a brand new copper/nylon wheel mallet still in cellophane factory wrapping to duplicate the bruised one in Jaguar tool kit. However, pride of place went to 2 things . . . the rebuilt (quartz) tacho clock ticking happily away after many years indifference before being rebuilt by our local jeweler, and the full printed Jaguar E-Type Workshop Manual, complete with 4.2L Supplement and added to across the late '60s and early '70s by a host of factory service updates. In a 3ring binder about 2" thick, complete originals have been NLA for over 30years. Sale included all import docs into Brysons (Melbourne), original sale docs to first owner, then to me as 2nd owner, all detailed service and spare parts receipts through the entire life of car, and even an album of both family's photos featuring the E-Type.

IMHO, even for a more modern profile Jag, the "auction special" with only a single key and not a scrap of documentation or service history, is cheap for a very good reason . . . much of what is missing, will always be missing. For some folk, that is not only acceptable but preferable, making for a cheap entry . . . but be prepared for some disappointments if wishing to fill the gaps. For others, the more complete car package may represent better value.

Cheers,

Ken