Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front coil springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Front coil springs

Hello all,

I bought a 1999 XK8 convertible two months ago. This is after skulking around this great forum for quite awhile absorbing all the good information.

The front tires were worn almost bald so I had new Michelin's installed. The left front tire would hit the fender liner on every dip in the road. Didn't notice this during the test drive. Well new tires are taller so closer to the fender liner. Anyway, after reading all the posts regarding suspension issues, I ordered a new set of upper shock bushings from Jagbits.com. The top of the shock that sticks through the bushing was really off center on one side and slightly off center on the other. Brought them to my mechanic and he installed them. Got the old ones back and they were flat as a pancake.

It improved the liner problem quite a bit, but it's not perfect. Can still see the left side is lower than the right side of the car. Plus the tire still hits the fender liner on big dips and holes.

So, the question is replace the coil spring? I've looked all over for the front springs for this car and haven't found any new ones, leery about used springs.

Shocks and other bushings all were okay.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Don

Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

What size tires did you put on the car? I would think that even with bad springs the upper wishbone would hit the bump-stop before the tire would rub.

Having said that, I just had new tires put on my Expedition. They are slightly bigger than factory tires and the left front rubs when I turn the wheel. Looking in the wheel well I can see that the left fender liner is out of position. Maybe you have a similar problem. Of course, if you can visibly see that the car isn't sitting level then I guess it's most likely a spring issue. But then I wonder why it's not hitting the bump-stops... it's a conundrum.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Default Front springs

No change in tire size. Hmm, I guess I need to look for the suspension bumper, could it be missing? I never really noticed the one time I had the front tire off the car.

The fender liners seem to be in place, not hanging down or anything. I've worn a hole in it though.

A side note: I can't believe how stiff the suspension is on these cars. Also looking at lowering the tire pressure for some relief.

Thanks for the input Rev Sam, and all the great videos you have produced!

Don

Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by millenia man
I can't believe how stiff the suspension is on these cars. Also looking at lowering the tire pressure for some relief.
Is it possible that the car has already had "Lowering Springs" installed by a previous owner?

That aside, I have occasionally seen XK8s advertised that had unusually low sitting front ends (probably from weak springs and/or worn shock mount bushings/insulators)

Old 11-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

If the springs were standard there is no way they should rub on the wheel liners, what colour are your springs and do they have and colored paint markings on them?

It does sound like to me that your XK has been lowered by a previous owner.

My own XKR would only rub very slightly with 20" wheels and lower 25mm, I would have to be travelling at speed and hit a slight dip in the road for that to happen!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Default Front springs

The springs are black in color with "yellow" paint markings. The shock is green, and I'm guessing is original to the car? Can't do much crawling around under the car due to a bad hip.

The left side tire is closer to the fender liner than the right side.

Again, if someone knows where to get new springs, please let me know.

Thanks again for the help.

don

Old 11-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Yep they are OE, looks like you might need some new springs!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

I would bet it is not the springs. I had the exact same issue. See my thread here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=41062 . Also do not buy Jag shocks you can get the OEM shocks for far less.

Last edited by scottatl; 11-19-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

I had an issue with the rear suspension that sounds similar. The left side was lower than the right. It was noticeable when you stood a few feet away from the car. The problem turned out to be bad shock. Got that replaced and the car is now level. I'm thinking shocks might be your problem. Id' go there first before replacing springs.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by chazaroo
I had an issue with the rear suspension that sounds similar. The left side was lower than the right. It was noticeable when you stood a few feet away from the car. The problem turned out to be bad shock. Got that replaced and the car is now level. I'm thinking shocks might be your problem. Id' go there first before replacing springs.
Thanks for the input, There are several forum members with the same opinion. I wanted to replace the shocks when I did the upper shock bushings but my mechanic felt it best to try one thing at a time. I agreed with that since the car was "new" to both of us.

I still feel it's a weak spring as the ride height is still low on the left side. I researched ride height online and weak springs seem to be the general consensus. Since the shocks are original I will replace them along with the springs. That is if I can ever find springs for the car.

The car has 109,000 miles. The engine is smooth and responsive, transmission is the slickest I've ever used. I"m really happy with this car so far. Know that I will put more money into it to keep it going but I knew that. I only paid $5800 for the car.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I wanted to replace the shocks when I did the upper shock bushings but my mechanic felt it best to try one thing at a time. I agreed with that since the car was "new" to both of us.

I think that I would find another mechanic.Now he has to bill you to remove the front shocks all over again.With over 100,000 miles on the car I would guess new shocks being needed are a given.Should had been done with the new shock top bushing mounts.
Then see how the car stance is.Now you are "guessing"is it springs or shocks?
At the parts store I have seen coil spring helpers.If you are just trying to get one side to match the other.I do not suggest the product but in your case??Also can measure how tall your coil spring is from perch to perch and see what we have?? Or if one side is sagging more then the other.
I remember you saying bad hip.I feel for you!!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Default coil springs

Hemitwist

Left side is lower than the right. I'll try and get a measurement of the spring length, maybe someone has done this and has a "good" length.

Grandson will be here today and I will squeeze him under the car to take a measurement.

I have a competent and honest mechanic. Just that this is his first XK8. He didn't see anything wrong with the shocks.

Replacing upper shock bushing $430 for parts, plus labor $200, replacing front rotors and pads $150 parts, $98 labor, I supplied all the parts. So there is a chunk on cash for what needed to be done.

Still no answer from anyone on where to get springs.

thanks for the input.

Don

Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

I put standard springs in the scrap bin! Threw out 4 sets just the week before last. However if you want lowering springs thats different

Old 11-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

also, count the coils on the spring....just in case it was cut.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Default Front springs

Okay, counted the coils and there are 8 each side.

Left side coil measures 7 3/4" long
Right side coil measures 8 1/2" long

So, I'm convinced the springs are sagging.

Anyone else take these same measurements? Let's compare.

thanks

Old 11-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Was able to do this just by turning the steering wheel as far as it will go each way and reaching in the inner fender well with a steel measuring tape.On both sides I have the same number.I measured from the bottom lip of the top spring plate.The top shock spring plate overhangs the spring enough to be able to put a tape measure against it,tight up against the bottom side.Then measured to the bottom of the lower spring plate.Bottom plate to bottom plate I have 8 1/8".Car was sitting pretty level when I did this in the driveway.
I had just replaced the top shock plate bushings a week or so back along with new front shocks.Hope this helps.
I was not able to get my self even close to getting under the car to do this,so was glad to see just by turning the steering wheel as far each way as it will go and locking the steering column.That I was able to reach in from the front side of each tire to see what I was doing.Remember that the spring gets narrow on each end,so this looked to be the best way of measuring it.
You may need to see what is going on at the rear of your car,seeing as one spring number you gave was greater then mine up front.A rear corner on your car may be sitting low,pulling the front up a bit?And this be why you are not sitting level?
As far as counting the coils i forgot to do that.But seeing as your numbers are close to mine I do not think that is the case.The springs tapper on the ends,so if that was done you would be able to just look at the spring and see it solid and a straight cut.Rather then how they tapper in thickness on both ends.
Again,just my 2 cents.Hope it helped.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same Problem here with 2003 XK8. after installing aftermarket wheels and 655 /30/20's. poor mans fix applied. I got one spring coil spreader and installed it at the very top of the left front coil. adjusted it for 3/8 " rise and checked level. worked like a charm. that was about 20,000 m ago and has had no effect on ride or handling. Normally I hate those spacer things but in this case it was just what the problem needed.