XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front End Issue

I bought a 2003 XKR last August with very few things that needed work (so far) and am feeling blessed by my luck finding such a great car. After replacing an upper control arm with attached ball joint from DRC Auto Parts, and new front shocks and springs last fall (stored for 6 mos., I live in upstate NY), I experienced a problem with my front end with the car pulling to one side then back to the other. My mechanics checked out the usual culprits, but everything seemed tight. I'm doing an alignment next week. It's less fun to drive while wrestling with the steering wheel keeping it straight. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:14 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

Sounds like tramlining, which isn't unusual with wide tires and crowned roads. Are you noticing any looseness in the steering when stationary? Any clunking if you come to a sudden stop from low (walking) speed?

The following users liked this post:
sjagerson (10-21-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 02:18 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Check the tyres for date code and wear.
As mhminnich said xk's are prone to tramline particularly with directional tyres, also tyre make?

Old 10-21-2017, 01:49 PM

After driving around and getting a 4 wheel alignment, I agree with your assessment of tramlining. Unfortunately, the patch of road I leave my house from is particularly uneven (I live in upstate NY) and it's like an amusement park ride each time. I have noticed it is pretty much the same each time and when I get on better roads it is a much smoother ride. I bought tires last summer, but the ones on the car were still in good shape. I don't know how old they are. I'm going to put the new one on before I store it. Thank you for your help.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:52 PM

They are Nexen's but don't know their age. I bought some Continentals last fall and am going to put them on next week before I store the car. Tramlining sound like the issue for me. Got an alignment too. Thank you for your help!