Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license placement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Default Front license placement

So the other day when the Travel Channel was going to film in our automated parking garage, I cut the zip ties that held my license plate to the mesh grill in front of the bumperettes. It always bugged me as it hides the very attractive opening, and when I took it off, it was sort of a liberating feeling. I have driven it around the last couple of days wondering if I would get stopped and readying my excuse that it had been used in a tv filming, and I hadn't had a chance to put it back on. I thought about copying the license onto sticky backed vinyl and putting on lower lip of bottom opening, but I wasn't sure this was an allowable substitute plus if it wasn't I didn't want to have to scrape it off. So, I came up with another solution. I haven't finished it yet as I just put it on a few minutes ago, and now I will make a couple of plastic sleeves that will cover the screws and which I will paint the same Cardinal Red as the car, and I don't believe it will be noticeable unless you are inches away. I took 4" long 1/4" diameter bolts, poked them through the license and frame and through the mesh about an inch up from the bottom so that the screws came out relatively straight, reached behind the grill with two washers and nuts, and simply ratcheted it tight. Although it appears low, it is not as low as the bottom of the lowest point of the bumper or the protective plastic piece under the radiator. Tomorrow I will make the sleeves out of either plastic or metal tubing, paint and install. It might not be better than no plate, but it won't cost me a $200 ticket. And yes, those are my big feet in the last photo.

Attached Thumbnails Front license placement-dscf0964-800x600-.jpg   Front license placement-dscf0965-800x600-.jpg   Front license placement-dscf0966-800x600-.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 AM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I have my plate in a similar position, but even lower. Unfortunately I don't know where the plate holder comes from, the previos owner had it fitted. I have had it scrape the ground a few times, making it work as a cheap insurance for scraping more expensive parts.

Attached Thumbnails Front license placement-photo.png  
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Front license plate

Originally Posted by tberg
So the other day when the Travel Channel was going to film in our automated parking garage, I cut the zip ties that held my license plate to the mesh grill in front of the bumperettes. It always bugged me as it hides the very attractive opening, and when I took it off, it was sort of a liberating feeling. I have driven it around the last couple of days wondering if I would get stopped and readying my excuse that it had been used in a tv filming, and I hadn't had a chance to put it back on. I thought about copying the license onto sticky backed vinyl and putting on lower lip of bottom opening, but I wasn't sure this was an allowable substitute plus if it wasn't I didn't want to have to scrape it off. So, I came up with another solution. I haven't finished it yet as I just put it on a few minutes ago, and now I will make a couple of plastic sleeves that will cover the screws and which I will paint the same Cardinal Red as the car, and I don't believe it will be noticeable unless you are inches away. I took 4" long 1/4" diameter bolts, poked them through the license and frame and through the mesh about an inch up from the bottom so that the screws came out relatively straight, reached behind the grill with two washers and nuts, and simply ratcheted it tight. Although it appears low, it is not as low as the bottom of the lowest point of the bumper or the protective plastic piece under the radiator. Tomorrow I will make the sleeves out of either plastic or metal tubing, paint and install. It might not be better than no plate, but it won't cost me a $200 ticket. And yes, those are my big feet in the last photo.
I live in SoCal and almost all of the Jags, Porsches, etc. have no front plates. Even some of the POS don't either, so I woudn't worry about a ticket. It's possible if you get pulled over by Barney Fife...

Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Don't go to Santa Monica Parking Garages!

Beware any of those public parking garages in Santa Monica, the local Barney Fifes go through there just looking to nail you if BOTH placards aren't displayed. I got one when returning to my car. It's only $25 but you never know what it would be in other cities here. Just keep both on to be safe. I hate how it sits on the front too. To be honest you will need something pretty sturdy to fix it on LA roads so make sure if you do rig something up it's STRONG. Don't want that thing coming off and doing damage to your car, etc.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by mbates50
I live in SoCal and almost all of the Jags, Porsches, etc. have no front plates. Even some of the POS don't either, so I woudn't worry about a ticket. It's possible if you get pulled over by Barney Fife...
Since about 5 years ago Barney Fife is a lot more prevalent here than in the past. Started out at about the same time where Kalifornia was financially starting to go down the toilet---coincidence?

Anyway for 13 years I had driven my Corvette without a front license plate. Things like that and window tint were only usually cited if you were stopped for something else. Well in my 14th year I had a cop chase me down SOLELY for no front plate. Since then I have heard of folks getting ticketed at night with their car parked in front of their house. This type of chickensh*t stuff is easy revenue for the jerks that mis-spend our money. The out-of-pocket cost for addressing the plate situation was maybe $25 but it wasted a few hours of my life.

So when I got the Jaguar it did not have a front plate and I drove it a couple of weeks like that. But every time I spied a cop somewhere it made me nervous so I just bit the bullet and mounted it using zip-tie but lower than it should be so as not to block the mesh grill.

Doug

Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I have had it in the lower position for a couple of days, and it has scraped the bottom a few times. I think I am going to cut about an inch off of the top of the plate as well as at the bottom. The numbers and letters will still be unaffected but the license will be shorter by a couple of inches. I will drill new top holes in the plates and then fashion a frame and a bracket to hold it. I like it below the grill, and I'll find a way to make it work.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Be careful about cutting the plate. The STATE may view this as defacing government property and lock you away and throw away the key.

Doug

Trending Topics

Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Well, I have had it in the lower position for a couple of days, and it has scraped the bottom a few times. I think I am going to cut about an inch off of the top of the plate as well as at the bottom. The numbers and letters will still be unaffected but the license will be shorter by a couple of inches. I will drill new top holes in the plates and then fashion a frame and a bracket to hold it. I like it below the grill, and I'll find a way to make it work.
Hey Ted! I wouldn't cut the plate as that would be modification and possible cause for another ticket. However, you can bend it just above and under the numbers. If you run into a situation with a Barney Fife, you can simply bend the edges back.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Hi George,
Feeling better? I thought about putting the plate in a vice and bending "flaps" back against the back of the plate rather than actually cutting off. If I can lop an inch and a half or so off the plate and scoot it up, I think all of the scraping issues will go away.
See you soon.
Ted

The following users liked this post:
Tirefriar (03-20-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

No front plate in NY State will cost you $150. Found that out last summer in Newburgh NY. I still don't run with it on.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Retracting Plate Holder

another member put a retracting plate holder on his car. I bought it but haven't installed it yet. It's electric and uses a key fob.

Here is a video of one working:

Delayed putting it on because my car is lowered and I'm a bit worried about grounding my plate out on a steep driveway but its on the list. Both Amazon and eBay has these. About $120.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

This is what I did with my plate after a $109.00 ticket.

Attached Thumbnails Front license placement-2013-02-01-15.04.16-hb1.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 01:21 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile

Before I bought our car it had been registered in 3 states that required front plates for a total of 15 years. I had it for 10 days and had the front plate laying on the left side of the dash. I was trying to figure out how I was going to mount it. You guessed it, I got stopped but luck was with me and got only a warning. I went right home and made a quick decision on how to mount it. Now I can drive around and not worry. Our son a few years ago got stopped 3 times with his Mustang for no plate, he simply never learned.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by growler05
Seems that you've got the idea. The top and lower edges look to have been bent flat against the back.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
Seems that you've got the idea. The top and lower edges look to have been bent flat against the back.
Got that right.
2 small sheet metal screws up under the spoiler remove it easily if I enter any show or event.
I can always bend it flat again if it becomes an issue re: defacing government property.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Exclamation Cat on front grill

Originally Posted by growler05
Where did you get the leaping Jag for your front grill? I've been loooking for same w/o any luck.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Where did you get the leaping Jag for your front grill? I've been loooking for same w/o any luck.
Just drive into the rear of a new XJ really hard at the right angle, and the leaper should stick to your grill.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I didn't know that US licence plates were govt property. Over here in Europe, the plate is your property (and responsibility) and only the actual number 'belongs' to the state.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by Frog
I didn't know that US licence plates were govt property. Over here in Europe, the plate is your property (and responsibility) and only the actual number 'belongs' to the state.
Just about everything belongs to Uncle Sam now.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't knock it, it's just as bad over here. If the French govt finds out they could own license plates, they'll jump at the chance, so let's just hope they're not reading this

Quick Reply: Front license placement