XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Subframe Removal - Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 04:54 AM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Nice, John. Great photo. I'm sure that I'm getting front end and suspension wiggling (very real wiggling) due to tired or completely shot subframe mounts... I have a whole engine swap (Ive been "planning" it more than a year now) and was thinking in all my grand "planning" to do this work when the engine was out. At the same time, if it didn't kill me to,,, what would it take to just do it before the engine swap by lowering the sub...?

Whether I do it by lifting the engine off the subframe, or with engine out completely, I've been wondering how possible it is to do this by lowering the subframe 6 or 10 inches - in that - what would be required to PRESS/GET the front mounts out and in...? I have feared the super tight fit and hard press need to know how tightly they are set in there? Was it a bear to remove them? Will a ball joint press type tool or a hub puller kind of set up work?

What sense did you get (i know that every car is different) about the risks of shearing and or stripping?
I would say it would be better to do it while doing the engine swap. Just drop the whole thing. You may be able to use a C clamp type press to get it in and out, not sure. It wasn't that tight to get it in but trying to do it in the cramp space of the frame just lowered might be tough. Plus you have to remove the bolts and support the engine anyway, so might as well take it out.