XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Fulcrum Bolt.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts
Default Front Suspension Fulcrum Bolt.

Anyone got a definitive answer please ............ I have just replaced the front suspension top wishbone bushes as mine - I suspect thanks to the appalling state of our roads - were beginning to wear.
JTIS makes no reference one way or the other, but should the top fulcrum bolt nut be tightened with the car on the ground on it's wheels (i.e. - as it would be under normal conditions) or can it be tightened while the wheel is off and suspension dropped. Or ........... doesn't it matter ? Obviously it's much easier with the wheel off - hence the question.
Thanks,
David.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hi David,
IF... you have replaced the bushings with OEM, then it doesn't matter. Unlike the lowers, they are meant to rotate around the inner sleeve without any torsional stress on the rubber itself, and they should do so relatively easily.

I think polys are the same, but not certain.

HTH,
Mike

Old 03-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

David, seems like it's going to be hard to get a torque wrench on it with Tire on, and on the ground. I've always torqued it unweighted. John

Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Just a my how to moment, I put my car on jack stands and use my floor jack to raise the pressure on the arm before torque when I did a complete rebuild so you get close to full weight without lifting off the jack stand. Didn't really think about how you were supposed to do it on a JAG just the way I always do a front end rebuild.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Make sure all of the old rubber is cleanly scraped of the old thick washers or they will squeak.

The upper wishbones should move freely after torquing. Move them up/down rapidly to make sure they don't squeak.