XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front Suspension Spacers?

Hey all so I've posted about my tires before already but now looking to see if there is a way to add spacers to my cars front suspension, I recently had to buy new tires all around on my 00 XK8 (first time under my ownership) and the fronts are too wide (10 inches) and the rubbing is getting more frequent. I've had my suspension looked at and it's not worn out or sagging. I'm just hesitant to buy new tires already as just the front two alone were $750 which is why I'm trying to see if they're is ak alternative to get the proper fitment. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2016, 10:49 AM
Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts

Do you mean wheel spacers? I don't really understand what you mean about the new tyres being too wide - have they fitted the wrong ones??

Old 11-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Rubbing rarely "wears out" tires. It can cut the tire or take chunks out or melt pieces off the tires, but tire wear is rare. Thumps, bumps, crunches, squeals... common, but these generally won't "wear out" a tire unless there is constant contact between body an tire.

If the front suspension hasn't been rebuilt, it IS worn out and sagging. If it is sagging the tires will wear out on the inside edges..

Post a close up picture of your shock mount foam, near the shock absorber nut. If it is its orange and crumbly, your suspension is sagging. If the foam is Black and has a smooth solid edge around the upper shock nut, you are good.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Kay,

It looks like there is about a 2" difference between front and rear spring heights. The difference should only be about 1"... Front upper shock mounts.

Attached Thumbnails Front Suspension Spacers?-kayscott-2000-xk8.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
KayScotts (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Kay, what is the measurement in inches from wheel arch to the center of the wheel up front? That will tell you/us about the front's ride height.

What size tires did they put on the front? Please list the numbers.

John

Old 11-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How do the polyurethane front shock mounts ride? I talked to t atch guy at Bilstein and he said it would ride way too harsh and the shocks were designed with the original foam mount.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:09 PM

Sorry for the late response, I feel bad posting basically an identical thread to my last. My mechanic must have not looked close enough because he said the front shocks were "OK" but they are orange/crumbling at the top mounts. Although the tires geting carved into is annoying my real concern is the fenders getting pulled down underneath the wheel well. I'm assuming once I get around to changing out the suspension that the rubbing will stop. Thanks again everyone appreciate all your time!!!

Old 11-02-2016, 08:00 PM

KayScotts,

The height from the center of the wheel where the jaguar emblem is, to the top of the wheel arch in the fender is supposed to be 15.5". If it is less, and the orange foam is crungling, you may have bad upper shock mounts. Bad mounts make the steering wheel feel "loose" or rattly on harsh roads like tires out of balance.
My car is at 14.5" and I'm going to replace the upper front shock mounts. its not cheap.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by obwoodie
How do the polyurethane front shock mounts ride? I talked to t atch guy at Bilstein and he said it would ride way too harsh and the shocks were designed with the original foam mount.
Polyurethane mounts ride a lot less harsh than metal on metal of the original crumbled foam.

I have bilsteins, H&R lowering springs and poly mounts and the ride is much less harsh for large hits than either of my miatas.

On big hits there is still a squishyness that isn't there on my lowered 5.0, though. I wouldn't describe it as harsh... you just feel a hit more through the steering. with the 5.0 I practically could run over a body in the road and you won't feel it through the steering movement (even after I totally jacked with the suspension with springs, camber plates and 10" wide tires in front). Got to give the Ford engineers some credit for that.

obwoodie (11-03-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

For Shock mounts, Welsh Enterpises (jagsjagsjags on Ebay)

$119/Pair with free shipping for Upgraded urethane.

New bilsteins are about $110 Each shipped. Boots and bumpstops another $20/pr.

New factory upper Wishbone bushings are about $100 shipped for the set (a little more for poly)

Borrow a spring compressor from autozone and its a fun weekend project and for less than $500, the front end will be like new.

KayScotts (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 11:13 PM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Kay:
If you are reffering to putting rubber spacers between the coils of sagging springs, I can vouch that is a hack that will increase ride height and improve camber. I have used them for couple of years as replacing the upper shock foam mounts did not help much in my case. I plan to do a more proper front suspension rebuild this winter.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. D
Kay:
If you are reffering to putting rubber spacers between the coils of sagging springs, I can vouch that is a hack that will increase ride height and improve camber. I have used them for couple of years as replacing the upper shock foam mounts did not help much in my case. I plan to do a more proper front suspension rebuild this winter.
That's exactly what I was referring to! Wasn't even sure if they actually existed. If the suspension is already worn out though will it still need to be replaced even if I get the spacers?

Old 11-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

When the shock mounts go, the shock eventually gets displaced in the hole and bangs on the metal.

Crumbling Orange foam is stage 1. Stage 2 is shock no longer centered in hole. Stage 3 is the car makes a banging noise on every bump. All stages happen eventually if shock mounts are not replaced.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I too replaced the front spring/ shock tower sponge rubber insulators. My XK8 has 55k miles. I've noticed the insulators visible from under the hood to be deteriorating. In addition the center shaft/ nut was off center. Replaced with the high performance hard plastic/ rubber insulators by Welsh. I was surprised at the change in the ride height. Brought the nose up equal to the rear. I cannot say the ride is more harsh than the before ride of the sagging front end, I can say the cars handles better. Might be enough for the clearance you seek. Rich

Old 11-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

My 05 is getting the Welsh replacement strut mounts soon. Mainly because of the too low ride height, but my tires never rub on the fender or inner fender liner. Are your wheels stock? What size tire are you running?

Old 11-04-2016, 03:06 PM

My car is a 2004 XKR with 58,000 miles. My tires rub on the inner fender shield at the top when I hit a big sweeping dip at maybe 50 MPH. I can hear it rub for a moment as the car drops on the dip. you can see the scrapes inside the wheel well. I'm going to use the Welsh polyurethane upper mounts now for sure!!!

Old 11-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Guess I need to chime in here as well.....just replaced upper shock mounts, shocks, wishbone bushings. Used the poly upper shock mounts from Welsh Enterprise via ebay, shocks were Bilstiens from RockAuto and poly wishbone bushings from a guy in UK.
Also had to purchase new front tires due to inner tire wear was showing belts.

Must use spring compressor tool; free loan from local auto parts store or if you must purchase from Harbor Freight.

NO HARSH RIDE noted after installation. Ride height restored and handling so much improved over OEM rubber "falling apart" bushings.

Did take four weeks for poly bushings to arrive from UK though, so if you get these, plan accordlying.

And getting the fulcrum bolt out is just going to be a LARGE PITA. Have big hammer and Dremel tool at the ready.

Plan on two days due to stubborn fulcrum bolt.

Good luck.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:28 PM

Lanny,

Will you post the prices you paid for the parts, especially the Bilsteins? Does your car have the CATS shocks for the active suspension??

John

Old 11-06-2016, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by obwoodie
Lanny,

Will you post the prices you paid for the parts, especially the Bilsteins? Does your car have the CATS shocks for the active suspension??

John
Obwoodie,

If you have CATS shocks, just replace the lower Bushing. They can be pressed out with a vice and some sockets. Most Jag Parts vendors carry these:

MJA2153AB

They are as Cheap as $28/Shipped each on E-bay.

If you have a non CATS, std Bilsteins are all over for about $100-$110 ea shipped for fronts. A generic bellows and bumpstop are another $10 each.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:54 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Upper poly shock mounts were from Welsh Enterprise via ebay (cheaper than on their web site); think they were $119 with shipping. The shocks were from RockAuto and about $93 each using the online 5% discount code. The poly wishbone bushings were $53 with shipping from ebay seller 'michaelsdriver12345'. And the shocks were not the CATs. I should have got new bumpstops as they were falling apart and would not stay in place. The bellows were fine, just needed new bumpstops.