XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Cleaning Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Cleaning Question...

Got a question...I bought a can of seafoam to clean my injectors. The directions say to pour 1/3 of the can into the vacuum line on the PCV valve. The directions state "check with a certified technician to be sure that the vacuum line feeds all cylinders safely as this varies with different engines". Does anyone out there know if this is the case and be sure I`m OK to pour the seafoam product into my PCV valve line? Thanks...

Old 10-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

no idea, I do know some of the other members have used that very product though. Here's a bump to get you an answer.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't use seafoam, but as I recall it is used in two places, as a fuel additive or as an oil additive (actually more as a temporary additive/cleaner immediately preceeding an oil change). I think you're conflating these two. The only way to use it as an injector cleaner is to add it to the fuel tank. It'll never make it to the injectors adding it to the PCV.

My preference for injector PM is Techron which is BMWs recommendation for use in their M cars.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Steve...you`re right...for cleaning injectors you put it in the gas tank. The seafoam instructions say you can clean carbon deposits by pouring 1/3 of a can directly into a vacuum line (ie the PCV valve line). If anyone out there has done this let me know...thanks!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I use Seafoam in my boat as a gas additive.If you have a 100 plus gallon fuel tank as my boat does,we use Seafoam to help stabilize,preserve,maintain the fuel for when it may be sitting for a long period of time.I have had to dump over 50 gallons of fuel in the past and had to replace a $700.00 plus dollar Yamaha HPDI fuel pump because of old fuel,not using Seafoam at the time.
Seafoam will mix with your fuel in your tank and make its way to your injectors.In cases such as a boat if you do not use Seafoam you will find that the fuel in your tank will in time,varnish your injectors,filters,fuel pump,everything that fuel comes in contact with.And small,talking micro small particles will get past filters and plug things up.
Seafoam is great stuff for preventing such.Never tried it for a car.
I would just buy the normal fuel injector cleaner myself and let it run through you fuel system.Depending on the Seafoam thing that you are wanting to do you may loosen up old varnish and plug up injectors and such down the path of adding it.I am not sure if Jag. injectors have filters to them,but they clog up as well.Just my 2cents,good luck.

c1476eb7-2a27-4edb-945c-2b6fd85f5a74
1.03.01c1476eb7-2a27-4edb-945c-2b6fd85f5a74
1.03.01c1476eb7-2a27-4edb-945c-2b6fd85f5a74

Last edited by hemitwist; 10-19-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by cpm53
Got a question...I bought a can of seafoam to clean my injectors. The directions say to pour 1/3 of the can into the vacuum line on the PCV valve. The directions state "check with a certified technician to be sure that the vacuum line feeds all cylinders safely as this varies with different engines". Does anyone out there know if this is the case and be sure I`m OK to pour the seafoam product into my PCV valve line? Thanks...
I got the heebeegeebees when I read this.....I have no idea what car you have but the XK8 has no PCV valve, just a measured orfice in the breather line.

I would never pour anything liquid into the intake system with the engine running like you are describing. Bad things can happen when the cold liquid hits the valve heads..... Pull off the lines and clean them and put the cleaner in the fuel to clean the injectors and fuel lines. Jag injectors have filters.
I should say that I never use this kind of stuff in my cars, it often does more harm than good in general. The solvents and volatiles in this stuff can chew up fuel pump seals, pressure regulator diaphrams, and so on. If you are using premium fuel and not letting it sit for months, it's as clean as its going to get. If th einjectors are dirty, removing them and getting them cleaned is the only way to go...and not expensive. When I do this, I get them flow matched as well, it can get the engine smooth as glass.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I've used the SeaFoam as described on the can. If you do the vacuum hose thing, be prepared for a giant smoke-screen in your neighborhood. You'll have white smoke coming out of your exhaust and it will be so dense you won't be able to see 5 feet. Do it on a windy day.

I can't tell whether it really helps or not. It has never hurt any of my cars, but I don't know that it did them any good, either.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:00 AM

Sam...did you pour it into the PCV line?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Sorry I do not use “Seafoam” and I am unable to help on that but from what I can see you are about to use it on a 2003 XKR, if this is the case why are you looking to expose it to the vacuum system to this process. I must say I never did this and would be hesitant in doing so for fear of cascading effects that might take place. It might be the right thing to do but for now I could not say do it. I understand Seafoam is a good product but I have never used it I use BG 44K fuel treatment it is used and recommended by Jaguar in my area and I used it for years on other vehicles. I am not saying what is good or bad just voicing my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
EZDriver (08-03-2011)
Old 10-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reference Reply #6

Oldmots,
I, too would never pour anything into the intake of a running engine, but I vaguely recall stories of guys with muscle cars back in the 60s misting water into their carbs to blow out carbon deposits. I think it was a Mopar thing.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I used to hear this but never tried it, stuff like this has a better chance to cause damage than to fix anything. I have heard for years that all this mouse milk junk did all kinds of wonderful things for cars and once when I was younger, I bought some BG 44K and dumped it in the tank of my very nice, almost new Ford Probe GT. In one day, it had fried both my O2 sensors and it cost me big bucks to fix. I always think that just because adding this junk to your car doesn't tear it up, you might just be lucky. I am pretty sure that 99% of it does no good at all, it's kind of like how a convertible seems to run better with the top down, it's just wishful thinking.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Schmidt
Oldmots,
I, too would never pour anything into the intake of a running engine, but I vaguely recall stories of guys with muscle cars back in the 60s misting water into their carbs to blow out carbon deposits. I think it was a Mopar thing.

Water injection.Sounds strange but yes it is true.
They still today sell kits for doing this.

I would keep Seafoam in a boat fuel tank only.It will stop fuel from going bad.It "may" clean injectors but its best attribute is in stabilizing the fuel.
Us boat people swear by it.
Unless you run your tank dry on every outing you need not use it.

The best fuel injector cleaner for your car or truck is to not buy crap gas!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:23 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
I used to hear this but never tried it, stuff like this has a better chance to cause damage than to fix anything. I have heard for years that all this mouse milk junk did all kinds of wonderful things for cars and once when I was younger, I bought some BG 44K and dumped it in the tank of my very nice, almost new Ford Probe GT. In one day, it had fried both my O2 sensors and it cost me big bucks to fix. I always think that just because adding this junk to your car doesn't tear it up, you might just be lucky. I am pretty sure that 99% of it does no good at all, it's kind of like how a convertible seems to run better with the top down, it's just wishful thinking.
Yes, absolutely good points you're making. Most people have very little understanding what this stuff does and the adverse effects it can have when used in wrong concentrations. I have never used BG 44K but I am an avid believer in Chevron Techron. I suspect they have the same ingredients.

Speaking for Techron - it is HIGHLY concentrated. adding a higher proportion than is recommended can literally melt neoprene which is found all throughout the fuel system. The average person does not understand a modern emissions system either and just how delicate the catalyst system is to concentrations of certain distillates. Yes, the solids found in any of the additives can and will poison a catalytic converter and/or ruin O2 sensors.

When I use Techron as a supplement I cut the recommended concentration in half. I use Techron, cut in half, in all of my personal cars only once or twice a year. In fact, if you're religious about using good quality fuels (I use Chevron with Techron already in it) you're essentially getting a good dose already. BTW - I believe Shell's gasoline additive is also a Techron derivative.

So, the advice is - Read and adhere to the product's recommendations if you're going to use them but it should also be pointed out that the factory prints a strongly worded admonishment regarding the use of any additives with threats of voiding the warranty if they discover you've used them.

Last edited by steve11; 10-21-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default xj8 similar issue

I just had my injectors cleaned and matched for bank grouping. I have now experienced a lean fuel code on bank 1. I am thinking that after I mounted the injectors into the fuel rail and then pushed them into the engine I may have not oiled the bottom small o rings causing a vacumn leak inside. Is this possible or should I have first pushed the injectors into the engine and then fitted the fuel rail on the top of the injectors last?

Mat