XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It was fun while it lasted......

Old 12-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It was fun while it lasted......

Well, it's time to say good-bye. My 2001 XK8 w/69,000 miles will be used as a trade-in the week after Christmas on a new F-150. (Of course we decide to do this after the upper shock mounts got replaced on Monday).

This forum has been invaluable on the few issues I've had, and I want to thank all. It's funny how often, just when I wanted to post a question concerning something that was going on with my car, someone else would post the exact same issue and I learned something new (especially when there were pictures).

I will continue reading the posts so that I can stay up on issues, and know the right questions to ask and what to look for when buying the next one, though I'm planning on that one being under warranty .

No matter what the different mechanics say, the forum is an important and valuable resource. Kudos to all who work hard to make this forum such a great on-line community.

Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

We hate to see you go.

You can always buy the new pick-up and keep the XK8 for those days that just demand the top down. An older XK8 makes the perfect third car.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My xk8 is the perfect 4th car. Got a 96 Dodge diesel P/U, 05 Dodge Magnum, 04 Mustang and the 99 Jag.

I vote keep it, they will rob you on the trade value anyway.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I appreciate you will not be leaving the forums . I wish you a merry xmas as well
I hope you will be buying a next Jaguar quite soon

Old 12-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you in Fl, and if so would you sell it to a member for the trade in price?

Old 12-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by test point
We hate to see you go.

You can always buy the new pick-up and keep the XK8 for those days that just demand the top down. An older XK8 makes the perfect third car.
It already was the 3rd car :-). We sold his old truck to my brother and with the Jag as trade-in (plus some cash) we are hoping to avoid car payments.

There's no doubt that I will have another one in the future. Now that I've had a taste of what this car is all about, I guarantee I will have one (planning on 18 months). But the next one will be the right color (white) and it will have the top that recedes into the trunk (2007)! Two things important to me.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Two jags
Are you in Fl, and if so would you sell it to a member for the trade in price?
Unfortunartely, I'm in Texas and the timing chain tensioners haven't been done so I would hesitate to sell it to an individual. That's the main reason for trading it. I'm looking for $11,000 as trade in. That's after paying $14,500 for it in May and putting $3,600 into it. I'd love 15,000 for it but know that will never happen. Next one will be under warranty! But all in all, I have never had it not run. It has been pretty solid, but I have been pushing my luck, living in fear of the tensioners quitting.

Thanks for asking though, it would have been fun for another member to have it and still be able to keep track of it.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Good luck, and hope you don't regret it too much in the springtime.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Default And the fun's not over yet

I'm happy to report I still have my Jag !

As wheeble predicted, the offer for trade-in was ludicrous, below kbb trade-in value, and not even worth serious consideration. As a matter of fact, we were insulted. Despite the fact that the car was given high marks in all categories (except for some headliner staining and the back quarterpanel having a "pop-out" from some work that was apparently done inside the trunk prior to my ownership). The reason given was that there was such a narrow market for this type of car. What?!

Anyway, we decided it was worth more to us to keep it and carry a note on the new truck for a little bit than to practically give away this beautiful car. Everybody stays happy this way. He has his gorgeous new truck and I get to keep my baby. (Even though I'm the one that offered to give up my car now and get a newer one later down the road, I'm glad I didn't have to make the sacrifice, I might have needed therapy ).

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished - drove her to work yesterday and now something must be leaking somewhere under the hood, because there was a tendril of smoke coming out of the wheel well (almost thought it was my imagination, but there was a burning rubber kind of smell) when I parked her in the garage last night. Opened the hood and saw nothing unusual. No drips on the floor either so we'll have to investigate over the New Year's weekend.

Sorry for crying wolf!

Old 12-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

yeah you! Keep an eye on the smoke, and look underneath for any oil remaining.

Save up for the tensioner fix with an independent mechanic, and you can enjoy it for much longer. yeah you again!

Old 12-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by xsvjag
I'm happy to report I still have my Jag !

As wheeble predicted, the offer for trade-in was ludicrous, below kbb trade-in value, and not even worth serious consideration. As a matter of fact, we were insulted. Despite the fact that the car was given high marks in all categories (except for some headliner staining and the back quarterpanel having a "pop-out" from some work that was apparently done inside the trunk prior to my ownership). The reason given was that there was such a narrow market for this type of car. What?!
Imagine that--a dealer giving you an insulting offer for a trade-in! Actually, I had this happen with other cars in the past which is why I have always sold my cars private party.

At least you are still in the "club" here--congrats.

Doug

Old 12-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Don't let the smoke out!

That is the only thing that keeps the electronics working. You let the smoke out and nothing works. Smoke replacement is worst than tensioners.

Glad you got to keep your car.