XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funky directional signal (occasionally)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Funky directional signal (occasionally)

I thought I was imagining this but it seems like every so often, nothing seems to happen when I move the directional stalk upwards to signal a right turn. Normally I can hear the clicking and see the blinking of the arrow on the instruments that indicate the signal is working but the lack of clicks/blinks happened again briefly tonight. This only seems to happen when signaling right but then the next time it works again.

The bulbs seem fine as far as I can tell. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Seismic, the next time it happens, try this (should have no one in front of you preferably), when the blinkers fail to blink, pull back on the turn signal stalk like you are going to turn on the brights (or flash to pass). Does the blinker work then? If yes, then you have a bad multifunction stalk. This is more of a problem with Ford products, but I would not be surprised if it carries over to other lines. If not, let me know and I will do what I can to give you a plan of attack to figure out what the problem is. How good are you with using a multimeter?

Old 01-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

I will try and remember to do this the next time. I have an old analog ac/dc voltage tester and ohm meter from Radio Shack that I have used a bit so I could probably figure out how to check whatever it would be that you would recommend checking.

Doug

Old 01-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I will try and remember to do this the next time. I have an old analog ac/dc voltage tester and ohm meter from Radio Shack that I have used a bit so I could probably figure out how to check whatever it would be that you would recommend checking.

Doug
Gee I didn't think anyone used turn signals in So. Calif... at least everyone that has Calif. plates driving up here in the GREAT Northwest do not use theirs.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
Gee I didn't think anyone used turn signals in So. Calif... at least everyone that has Calif. plates driving up here in the GREAT Northwest do not use theirs.

Hey Hey--is that a California driver joke?

Old 01-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Unfortunately in California a turn signal seems to tell the guy in that lane to speed up.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In Florida we get the drivers whereas you can only see the top of their heads,(Q-Tip) and drives s..l..o..w..l..y in the Fast Lane.............with their turn signal on for 2 miles before a turn or exit. I guess that is better than the kid that darts in and out while texting...........and has no idea what a turn signal is for!
Brian

Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
Seismic, the next time it happens, try this (should have no one in front of you preferably), when the blinkers fail to blink, pull back on the turn signal stalk like you are going to turn on the brights (or flash to pass). Does the blinker work then? If yes, then you have a bad multifunction stalk. This is more of a problem with Ford products, but I would not be surprised if it carries over to other lines. If not, let me know and I will do what I can to give you a plan of attack to figure out what the problem is. How good are you with using a multimeter?

This has happened on rare unpredictable occasions but it did happen the other day and when I flashed the brights (as you recommended) the signal started working. I assume this is some sort of intermittent bad connection in the stalk mechanism and will add it to my list of things to check when I finally bring the car into the dealer.

Doug

Old 02-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR Brian
Unfortunately in California a turn signal seems to tell the guy in that lane to speed up.
That's why we bought "R"s, isn't it? dale