XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future values of late 90's and early 2000's XK8 Coupes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future values of late 90's and early 2000's XK8 Coupes?

I'm looking at purchasing a 2000 XK8 Coupe. The car is in near perfect condition. Any thoughts on the future value of these cars and when or if they may become a collector vehicle? They are beautiful Cars!

Last edited by Edlanta; 09-19-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

This is not the kind of car that you purchase for an investment. This is especially true for the one that you propose. A very early model or last of production or unique or low volume sample has some potential. You might add in my friend's triple black 2001 XKR convertible which is very low mileage, perfect condition, all original, flawless. However this gives him the headache that age and use and potential damage are its enemies.

These are wonderful cars and do many things well while preserving the special aspects of classic Jaguar design and engineering. Only a few however will ever be collectible under specific conditions. They will never be like the E-Type. There are also demographic reasons that I mentioned before further contributing.

Buy it if you like it and can care for it. Perhaps it will be a nice survivor that stays in someone's family twenty years from now.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I think long term, they may become special interest but not truly collectible.

Collectible cars generally are the highest performance specification, low production, and usually the Convertible (excepting stuff like the 63 Corvette; yes despite verts on XKs are more common). They also tend to be the best of the breed in terms of reliability, build quality, and style.

I think end run XKRs like 06s, probably convertibles, are going to be the most valuable. They sorted out all the earlier cars issues with water pumps, transmissions, nikasil, etc. Yes, the Nikasil can be debated if it is still an issue (I own two cars with it and I'm fine with it). They have the highest output, the best brakes, best transmission, and really were as good as the X100 got. Some people may prefer the lines of the earlier cars without the ground effects, but I think that is so minor it's going to be a non-issue.

An 06 Victory Edition XKR Convertible will probably be the most collectible and early NA cars will be the least valuable. Fun but least value financially.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Mines a 1997 but probably built in 1996. My last 6 are 002446, so it's a fairly low number.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:26 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

It’s only recently that E’s have been worth any real money. XK120/xK150’s are still obtainable. 2+2’a have never been collector darlings. I think we may see some decent pricing from time capsule ultra low mileage examples (sub 5k). But it will be a long time before the X100 is considered collectible.

Just my opinion.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I purchased my 2002 convertible two years ago with 72,000. Put less then 200 on it since. When I bought this I was hoping it would increase in value, but with the maintenance and parts that need replacing, I think I will spend more in the future and would lose any possibility of monitory gains. Was it worth it? Hell yes!. When I do drive it, I am always having people stop me and admiring the car and heaping praises upon it. I'll take the praises.

The following 2 users liked this post by MiragePro:
Edlanta (09-21-2017), Johnken (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

I agree with the folks who speculate that these models will never reach true collectible status (or value). Just drive them and enjoy them....

Old 09-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi, I just replaced my 1998 XK8 (totaled in accident) with 1999 XK8, nearly identical: no seat heater, same mileage, slightly better paint condition.

Replacement cost was less than the California sales tax of this car when new.

Drive and enjoy!

Oh, the 1998 was BRG, British Racing Green, and the 1999 was advertised as "Boston Racing Green".

All the best,

Jerry Lippmann

Old 09-21-2017, 08:36 AM

They may not not make it to Classic status but I love the Classic looks. Just wondering where they will bottom out in price? This is coming from a small money guy with big money taste.... ;-)

Don't beat me up on this but does anyone else see a little 60's Ferrari styling in these cars? Especially the Coupe?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:01 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Edlanta
They may not not make it to Classic status but I love the Classic looks. Just wondering where they will bottom out in price? This is coming from a small money guy with big money taste.... ;-)

Don't beat me up on this but does anyone else see a little 60's Ferrari styling in these cars? Especially the Coupe?
If you are small money, consider 4.2 L crossover in terms of years. Not sure if this includes the 2002, definitely 2003 and up. Many issues were worked out by the time of this upgrade and the purchase price/age and design issues balance should be mostly in your favor. However, never lose sight of the fact that few things cost more than a cheap car. If you have a comfortable place to work on the car and want to do things yourself, simply get a good hull and drive train and make it a project.

Yes, there is a lot of the 60's in the design and there are some lines that were common to Ferrari and other similar cars of the time.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will look into the 4.2's
I have a nice 3 car detached garage and love tinkering with cars. Had a 1995 VDP with the inline 6 and this forum helped me fix a few minor issues. It was a great car that I paid $11K for on ebay back in early 2000's. I felt like a million bucks when I drove it and had quite a few exec's at work giving me stink eye when I drove it in. Single dad with 2 in college so I've been driving the same budget beater for quite a few years. Think it's time to class it up a little. Can't touch the old muscle cars anymore but these early 2000 XK's may scratch that special car itch! Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. Definitely my favorite forum! ED.