XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gap between headliner & windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default gap between headliner & windscreen

Looks like this is part 3 of my ongoing saga today...

When I got my car back from having the latch hoses swapped, on the driver's side I noticed an ~1/2" gap between the headliner and the metal frame around the windscreen, see pics.

I first assumed that this was due to something not being fastened correctly. I took out all 3 screws from each visor, and removed the center lighting console.

I lined up the headliner as it should be, and began reinstalling the visors. I noticed that as soon as I began to screw in the driver's side visor, the headliner pops out, revealing that gap. Initially I blamed this on the center console not being attached, however even when I press the headliner in place in the center, that gap remains visible, on the driver's side only.

I didn't take this apart to begin with, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to go back together, or if something is missing. It's almost as though the headliner itself was bent somehow, although I can't be certain.

If you have any idea what may be causing this, please post. Thank you.

I've attached photos of the headliner at each side; the gap is on the driver's side, the passenger's side has no gap.

Attached Thumbnails gap between headliner & windscreen-dsc00267-s.jpg   gap between headliner & windscreen-dsc00268-s.jpg  
Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

There is a black plastic push pin on the outside end of the black weather strip. It's on the vertical face of the black weatherstripping. The head is about a half inch diameter. This pin is preventing the two parts from fitting together. They must have pulled the top piece off w/o first removing this pin. With the pin still in place it is now is jammed between the two pieces causing your gap.

Pull out the pin. It has serrated flaps instead of threads and pulls straight out. The best way is to get behind the weatherstripping with a thin blade and carefully lever the pin out just far enough so you can grab beneath the head with a pair of needle nose pliers.

With the pin out, the two parts should fit together and the pin can be reinserted into the tw0 (2) holes that were designed to hold the parts together.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 AM

thanks, but that's not causing this.

I removed the pin and inspected the pieces that fit together, there isn't anything there for the pin to interfere with, unless something is missing on my car. anyway I put the two pieces back together, reinserted the pin and the gap came back as soon as I tightened the visor.

I'm taking it back to the guy who disassembled it now, maybe he'll remember something about how it came apart. I'm really tempted to say that the headliner was bent somehow during disassembly.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Got it all sorted out.

The replacement latch hoses were routed under the indentation where the visor hinge goes, so when the visor was tightened down the hoses acted as a pivot point and forced the headliner to pivot out.

We moved the hoses, reassembled everything and I thought that was the end of it. Shook his hand, turned on the ignition, and went to put the transmission in reverse... except then I was unable to shift it out of park. Then the steering wheel suddenly seemed to have a mind of its own and lowered into my lap.

After much head scratching and disassembly, we found the screw from the visor latch had pinched the wire which provides power to the vanity mirrors, cut through the insulation and shorted out, blowing a fuse, which was causing the problems with the transmission & steering wheel.

I think, finally, it's all working again as it's supposed to.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioXK
After much head scratching and disassembly, we found the screw from the visor latch had pinched the wire which provides power to the vanity mirrors, cut through the insulation and shorted out, blowing a fuse, which was causing the problems with the transmission & steering wheel.

I think, finally, it's all working again as it's supposed to.
You are very lucky that just blew a fuse (as it should). A similar incident happened to two other forum members and the short damaged the Body Processor Module (BPM) permanently.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Glad you sorted it out.

And thanks for the followup. Too of these types of posts abruptly terminate when the OP gets it fixed... Leaving the rest of us wondering what was done to remedy the problem.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
Glad you sorted it out.

And thanks for the followup. Too of these types of posts abruptly terminate when the OP gets it fixed... Leaving the rest of us wondering what was done to remedy the problem.
+1 on that - it really is p*ss*ng off to see lots of people giving their best and the post stops.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM

not a problem guys. thanks for the help GordoCatCar.