XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Shift Knob replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Shift Knob replacement

I'm going to replace the stock leather gear shiftknob on an '04 XKR with a burled wood one. Is there a trick to getting the stock one off?

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Gear Shift Knob replacement

Just unscrew it. It will seem like it won't come off but it will. Once you get it off, make sure you screw the metal spacer back on first.
Looks are deceiving.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM

Thanks, FJT.

The leather knob does turn easily but does not come off. As you said, there is a tapered chrome spacer (about three inches long) below the knob and that does not turn at all but it does have four indents in it as if a tool is required to turn it.

Any suggestions, or should I ask a tech at my dealer to remove it?

I'd be dangerous if I owned a ten thousand dollars worth of tools!!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

It takesus about ten times that amount of tools. LOL
People dont realizethe investment we make to our careers.

Does the knob seperate from the spacer? It takes many many turns to get it off.
The spacer stays on. There is nothing else to do. Just unscrew it.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:02 PM

I must be doing something wrong. The knob just turns forever and nothing happens. The next time I bring the car in for a PM, I'll ask one of the techs to remove it and install the wooden knob. I'm afraid I'll just screw something up!

I'm sure you have far more than 10K worth of tools, FJT. I work with some techs in the trucking industry and I know what an incredible investment those guys have to spend to do their craft well. I also see how the technology keeps changing and for a tech to stay on top of things thereare constant classes they have to attend. Unfortunately, there is a huge shortage of techs in the trucking industry right now.

I remember a talk I had with the owner of a Peterbilt dealership in New York. He told me he was invited to speak at a Vocational school on Long Island and when he got there the Dean gave him a tour of the school. He stopped at one of the classrooms that said "Diesel Mechanics" and he asked the Dean how many students were enrolled and the Dean told him about 20. He then passed a classroom that said "Computer Technicians" and he was told there were over 100 students enrolled in that class. Well, it makes sense. A student can graduate as a Computer tech, buy 300 dollars worth of tools and he is good to go. A diesel tech has to spend a small fortune in tools, work outside at times, get dirty, and have all kinds of crazy hours. The industry is starting to be aware that they will have to reward the diesel techs quite a bit more if they are going to attract the numbers needed.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The XK8s just have a 3/4 inck locknut below the knob, and screw right off (just like a TR6). The XK8s have a wooden knob that is plain and doesn't match the burl dash, so alot of them get replaced. I haven't ever looked at an XKR shifter knob, but it sounds different... The XKR manual states:
Remove the selector lever knob.Slacken the ferrule, rotate clockwise.Rotate the knob counter-clockwise to remove.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 PM

you may want to try and turn the lock nut or furrel to a different position and retighten the Knob

Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Does anyone know where I can get the metal spacer at the bottom of the knob?

Mine was missing when I bought my car and I am unable to find one on net. Looks like the dealer is the only way.

I too am going to get a knob the more closely matchs the dash wood and shows a lot more style.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigvettefreak
Does anyone know where I can get the metal spacer at the bottom of the knob?

Mine was missing when I bought my car and I am unable to find one on net. Looks like the dealer is the only way.

I too am going to get a knob the more closely matchs the dash wood and shows a lot more style.
Part number CAC7835...under 5 bucks at the dealer.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you,

I am so silly, I did not know it was called a jam nut and when I put it in as the search, it came up and I found it on Jag Bits.

Even though I was able to find it, I am happy to know you are all there to help and I hope one day to be able to do the same for someone as well.

Again,

Thank you for taking your time to help me.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

If it's any consolation, I would never have guessed it was called a 'jam nut' either. It sounds more like a biscuit

Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 AM

I am having a similar issue with my XKR. I have a knob from my XK8. They are all supposed to have a 8mm thread. My shifter shaft with the kinob removed is "nothched". The new walnut burl knob thread is to small to fit the "notched" shaft. So, even if there is a threaded piece to place over the notched shaft, it would still be to big to fit the 8 mm thread? Anyone else ever run into this issue? Any solutions out there?
Thanks
Dave

Old 02-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Are you certain that you mean 'notched', which would imply grooves? Maybe you mean the shaft is swedged or has 'ears' on it? If so, I would suspect you are looking at the remainder of the knob core which is still threaded onto the shaft.

My car came with a leather knob, installed by the p.o., and was so tight on the threads that I just sliced it off with a power tool.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:48 PM

Just did mine - got ahold of the leather knob with a pair of channel lock piers and got it to come up about a quarter of an inch before the rubber stripped out from the metal core. Split it with a hobby knife, and pulled the rubber off. Then got the channel locks on the metal core to come off. Buh-bye ugly red / green logo'd tan leather and chrome shift knob. Hello burled walnut with a red growler "classy' knob!!

Old 08-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Angry Shift knob removal

You can add me to the list of weaklings who don't have the wherewithall to pull the knob off. I'll try some more but this is really frustrating to attempt a simple job with 30 years experience working on race cars. S***.

Quick Reply: Gear Shift Knob replacement