XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Shift Knob replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

You might find this interesting. https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1005330

To remove mine I had to stand astride the gear stick pull up and turn at the same time. This is how I got on.

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1006793

Personally I think the replacement looks more genuine than the genuine one. What do you think?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc

Personally I think the replacement looks more genuine than the genuine one. What do you think?
Indeed it does!!! and the exact one I purchased for the Mistress.

The following users liked this post:
frankc (08-16-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, figured it out. Rig up a tool to hold the jam nut just below the shift knob, back it down enough to get a flat blade screw driver between the jam nut and the knob, twist and pull at the same time, voila, off comes the knob. The washer is plastic, throw it away. The insert in the knob is on the shift lever with a LockTite compound, no wonder it stripped the knob. Now you can get a hold of the insert with a pair of pliers and screw it off, clean off the threads, put it back on and install the new knob.
BTW, British Auto Wood is the best! Saul is and artist.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cecil
I just got my 2004 XKR back from being serviced by the jag dealer. Among the things I asked them to look at was my inability to remove the stock shift knob for which I have a replacement. Here is what he did and said regarding this manner.

The existing factory shift know had been put on to tight and the threads were partially stripped out. He got the old shift knob off, dressed the threads and put the new shift knob on.

The assembly, at least on my XKR consisted of 3 parts. A lower tapered part that is internally threaded and has 3 dimples, each off set 120 degrees. I think they are to hold the tool to unscrew this tapered part. There was a thin washer that goes above this and below the shift knob. Lastly the shift knob. I am not sure about the need for the washer but the way the assembly is designed to work is as follows: 1) You screw on the tapered (cone shaped) part narrow end pointing down. 2) You drop on the washer, which they did not replace as there does not appear to be any reason for it with the new knob. 3) You screw on the new shift knob.
Your screw the new shift know down until it is secure and the emblem, logo, etc. is facing in the desired direction. You then screw the tapered part back up the shift column until it is snug against the new shift knob. Lastly using a special tool you grip the 3 indentations and snug the tapered part tight against the shift knob. This locks the knob in position.

On my jag they had to physically pull the old shift head off the internal metal sleeve which in turn is threaded on the inside. This sleeve is knurled so the head presses down hard on it and then will not move. The shift know is pulled straight up to remove it. Once the shift know is off you can then use what ever tool(s) is necessary to separate the tapered cone and the internal metal sleeve of the shift knob and then unscrew the the internal metal sleeve and the tapered cone assembly. When they did mine they damaged the tapered cone assembly, I do not think they had the correct tool to initially dislodge it so it could be unscrewed.

My replacement was done by Jaguar Land Rover in Lynnwood, WA. I would with out hesitation recommend the quality and honesty of their work to any one.

I hope this helps in some small way in resolving your shift knob change out. I might add the new know looks really great.
So if I am reading this correctly, the only way to remove the gearshift knob is to pull it straight up as hard as you can? Worried this might cause some damage though to the parts attached to the gearshift stem. Not sure if anybody has pictures so I can better understand how the internal metal sleeve and tapered cone assembly all fits together. Keen to replace the gearshift knob to a wooden one as well!

Last edited by sscars; 08-27-2018 at 04:16 AM.