XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox stuck in park 2000 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 10:12 AM
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Gearbox stuck in park 2000 XKR

I have 2 recent intermittent gearbox issues with my XKR which if anyone has the answer to would be nice;-

1. If left for a week or so not driven, when I engage gear it seems like the hand brake is left on as the car revs up but hardly moves, I was wondering whether this is a top up oil situation. I changed the gearbox oil last year and it was a nause sorting the correct oil level. I do have a dipstick now and I did think the level was ok.

2. More recently when I go to move off I have to wait about 1-2mins for the the 'Park' to release the gear selector to select a gear? You can hear a slight click when you attempt to move the lever coming from the dash. Is this a warming up of the gearbox oil temperature thing, before the park releases or again could this be oil or is there a fault?

No warning lights at least.

As always any clues will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Pete

Last edited by PeterG; 01-31-2016 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling lol
Old 02-01-2016, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Brakes binding maybe?

Old 02-01-2016, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterG

1. If left for a week or so not driven, when I engage gear it seems like the hand brake is left on as the car revs up but hardly moves, I was wondering whether this is a top up oil situation. I changed the gearbox oil last year and it was a nause sorting the correct oil level. I do have a dipstick now and I did think the level was ok.

Park on a Level surface, let car/transmission warm up and check it with dip stick, also go back to receipt and see what fluid they used and it was compatible.

2. More recently when I go to move off I have to wait about 1-2mins for the the 'Park' to release the gear selector to select a gear? You can hear a slight click when you attempt to move the lever coming from the dash. Is this a warming up of the gearbox oil temperature thing, before the park releases or again could this be oil or is there a fault?

This sounds more like a interlock question, potentially brake switch. Use the key to manually put car in neutral, then start car and select drive, do you get the same issue? See owners manual or search forums on how to

Cheers Pete
The 722.6 gearbox is pretty strong, not too many require rebuilds it also is possible it's the TCM but doesn't sound like it, it might be the conductor plate / speed senor being bad, this is a easy swap and reasonably cheap. Just some ideas.

ps, On previous comment: again put car in neutral and give it a push to see if brake are binding, especially Hand brake

Last edited by jamdmyers; 02-01-2016 at 03:27 AM. Reason: brake
Old 02-01-2016, 04:50 AM

Thanks, but it's defo not the hand the brake, checked that.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterG
You can hear a slight click when you attempt to move the lever coming from the dash.
Pete,

My understanding is that the car will prevent you from selecting a gear out of "Park" unless you press the brake pedal. Once the car "knows" the pedal is pressed, it activates a solenoid near the gear selector to get out of "Park". In a quiet environment, you can typically hear it clicking (or even feel it with your fingers on the trim). So, a problem area for your situation might be the brake switch. It is a common problem. A bit of bear to replace as it is sort of hard to reach, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Last edited by fmertz; 02-03-2016 at 08:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PeterG (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 08:41 AM

Yep, probably is the problem, it's not a major drama, unless of course you are doing a bank raid lol. Got loads of other stuff to get on with so that's a job for later thanks for the info.