XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the amber out - Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Getting the amber out - Part 1

I finally made the jump and replaced the lenses on the front marker lights (at the bumper) Taking a kitchen knife to OEM parts is a bit daunting but I think the results are pretty good.

Before

After

With clear repeater

Part 2 - switching out all the current amber colored lamps with chrome lamps (the illuminate amber but appear silver when not lit) I believe I am also going to try to temperature match all the lamps in the headlight assembly and the fog lamps; has anyone truly matched the color of the OEM HID bulbs? I have also been looking for the OEM HID color temperature but have been unable to find it so any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Nice! And those big-*** Brembo brake calipers look nice, too.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

When I researched this a couple years ago, I found some contradicting 4100k and 4300K color for the factory OSRAM D2S bulbs.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:02 PM

I noticed that too and from what I can tell 4100-4300K has a yellow cast to it which doesn't seem right i thought it would be closer to 5100K. see below:

Last edited by MarcB; 08-07-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

MarcB, where did you get the replacement clear front side lamps?

Old 08-08-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
MarcB, where did you get the replacement clear front side lamps?
I will send you a PM with the seller's information.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those look great, I'm planning on doing the same change to mine. Did you get the lenses from Adamesh?

Could you give me a little more details on the install procedure and overall fit and finish compared to the stock amber lenses?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 AM

Those look great, I'm planning on doing the same change to mine. Did you get the lenses from Adamesh?

Could you give me a little more details on the install procedure and overall fit and finish compared to the stock amber lenses?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 PM

Per your request:

Originally I tried to purchase them from Geoff @ Adamesh. He was very helpful but he only provides either non illuminated reflector units or LED units as complete assemblies. I am not really ready to go all LED so I opted to retain the standard lighting and go with the lens replacement.

The lenses were purchased through eBay(UK) from XKZ Zahran Limited:

http://stores.ebay.com/xkz-zahran-limited__W0QQrtZncQQ_sidZ42066942QQ_trksidZp4634Q2 ec0Q2em14?_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=1

The lenses were received in less than a week and were well packaged with clear instructions an a high quality adhesive.
The The first step is getting the existing units off of the car. The light Assemblies are held in place with two spring clips. To remove them simply push the Assembly left or right and pull the free end away from the bumper. The lamp holder is then removed with a quarter turn.

The next step is the one I was concerned about most. The instructions say to use a kitchen knife but I attempted to use a heavy duty utility knife to no avail. The kitchen knife is required as a rigid blade is key. Starting at one end place the tip of the knife between the lens and the housing, I ended up chipping small bits off until I could get the blade inserted between the two pieces. After that simply slide the blade between the tow parts and about a third of the way through it will pop off.

What you end up with is pretty messy as the two parts were well joined at the factory. I ended up using a fine grit sanding block to clean up the edges. (The yellow reflection in the following picture is from the edge of my sanding block)

After that the lenses are simply glued into place. Once the glue dries apply a thin bead of clear silicone caulking to the seam on the back of the assembly to weather proof it.

There is a noticeable flange on the clear lenses and overall it appears a bit bigger than the original amber lens but other than that the look is pretty clean (note there is no text or lettering of any kind on the new lenses - no place for wax to collect )

Installation is as simple as reconnecting the lamp holders and pushing the assemblies back in.

The next step is to replace the amber lamps with chrome coated amber lamp in all the turn signals, side markers and side repeaters, I am waiting for that shipment and will update this thread when I get them installed.

Last edited by MarcB; 08-09-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Thanks Marc thats exactly what I needed to see to convince me to go ahead and do it! Also thanks for the supplier info. The quality of the FAQ's in this forum have been amazing these last couple days.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Default Part II - bulb change

New chrome bulbs installed, they are not as bright but they sure do look better.

Attached Thumbnails Getting the amber out - Part 1-head-light-before.jpg   Getting the amber out - Part 1-head-light-after.jpg   Getting the amber out - Part 1-tail-light-before.jpg   Getting the amber out - Part 1-tail-light-after.jpg   Getting the amber out - Part 1-front-quarter-after.jpg  

Old 08-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello MarcB

Nice job on the lights. My son recently cracked the amber lens backing out of the garage. Fortunately, he only rubbed the lens on the passenger side and not the fender. Would you know where I can get a replacement lens? Looks like I can use your instructions & photos as a guide to change out the plastic if I can find one. My XK8 is gold colored, so the amber doesn't look as out of place as on the silver.
Thanks for any help.
Ed K from PA

Old 08-24-2010, 11:12 AM

Ed:

Believe it or not it is less expensive to purchase the whole assembly with the amber lens. I have seen them advertised anywhere from 15.00-25.00 new. You can get them from many of the sponsors of the forum. Nalley, JPM, Jagbits etc.

P.S. I'd send you mine but the ends are cracked off where I inserted the knife.

The following users liked this post:
Fla Steve (11-23-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx marc
I'll check them out
Ed

Old 09-07-2010, 04:48 PM

I just did this mod over the weekend and am more than pleased. Removing and gluing the lenses took a little patience but was not difficult. I chose to replace the bulbs with 5watt amber ones and they are just as bright and yellow at night as they were with the stock lenses.

Mark, thanks for the supplier info. Chris was very helpful and the shipping was quick.

Ed, if you're still looking for an amber lens let me know. Mine came out without any damage and I've got no desire or use for them anymore.

Attached Thumbnails Getting the amber out - Part 1-clearside_1.jpg   Getting the amber out - Part 1-clearside_2.jpg  
Old 11-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

The lenses look good, and thanks for the instructions. Now can you comment on how you like the Poly Bushings, ride and handling etc. Now that my timing chains, tensioners, oil cooler hoses, belt pulleys etc are done I want to get to the suspension. FlaSteve, 2000 XKR.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

I bought those and was very disappointed with them. I bought direct replacements here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-Jaguar-XK8...item5d2bd2c84f
Remove the panel in the wheel arch to release the amber lenses. Then just clip in the new ones. They are curved like the amber ones not flat like the ones you have used.
Cant remember if you can fit bulbs in them, not a requirement in the UK.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by malbec
I bought those and was very disappointed with them. I bought direct replacements here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-Jaguar-XK8...item5d2bd2c84f
Remove the panel in the wheel arch to release the amber lenses. Then just clip in the new ones. They are curved like the amber ones not flat like the ones you have used.
Cant remember if you can fit bulbs in them, not a requirement in the UK.
Interesting, that is the same vendor I purchased the lenses from. Hope you were able to exchange them with out any hassle.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
... Now can you comment on how you like the Poly Bushings, ride and handling etc...FlaSteve, 2000 XKR.

Poly bushings in the front "A" arms are a must; they remove any vagueness to the feel and last at least twice as long.

Lowering certainly helps the handling as it lowers the center of gravity and reduces body roll. Interestingly the ride quality was still very comfortable until I switched from 19" wheels to 20" wheels; that was the most noticeable change. Still though 8+ hour drives are a pleasure and not harsh at all.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Those look great. Really classy. Is it my imagingtion, or are your headlight lenses
smoked?? If they are, could you share with me how this was accomplished, or where
they were purchased. One of the coolest "updated" touches I've seen. Maybe my
eyes are just going bad. Thanks, Ed.

Quick Reply: Getting the amber out - Part 1