Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Ready for a Long Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts
Default Getting Ready for a Long Trip

My XK8 has about 73K miles and I'm going to be taking a 6000 mile trip in it next month. I just changed the oil and put in Mobil 1 synthetic. Are there any other preventive maintenance things I should do before hitting the road?

By the way, I changed the oil in it myself, which is something I haven't done in any car in 20 years. I bought ramps and everything! The Jag has really made we want to tinker!

Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

how fresh is the alignment? Mine was way off when I drove 3,000 miles, and my tread was horrible when I returned (it was at the end of their life anyway).

Check air pressures before leaving, and bring an air gauge w/u and stick it in the boot, just in case.

Check the spare, make sure she's there, and in tact...and you're emergency kit is complete.

Take a bottle of 'quick wax', some glass cleaner, and a few shop towels, if you get some dust or any light rain, you can easily wipe off the dirt and keep the XK8 clean and shiny as you left (well, close enough) w/o taking it to a car wash.

If you can fit your golf clubs in the trunk do so, you never know if you'll have some spare time for a quick round of 'chase the white ball'. ok, you may not have room.

Don't forget your boot cover! Oh yah, and a camera, document your trip with pics of your car and where you were!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

I used to have a membership at a golf club. I played just about every weekend. After a couple of year I realized that I hate golfing. It seems like the most pointless sport ever.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Based on all of the posts you have made regarding the work you have doing your XK, I would say you are golden.

Where are you going on this long road trip, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a few things for the list:

Check serpentine belt and belt tensioner
Check (replace if due) Air filter
Check brake fluid
Check coolant (replace and flush if due)
Replace (if due) fuel filter
Check power steering fluid
Replace spark plugs (if due)
Change t'stat (if over 2 yrs old)
Change tranny fluid and filter (at 60k miles, and every 30k thereafter)
Check windshield wipers
Fill windshield washer juice
Check brake pad and rotor condition
Check lights
Check tire pressure (incl spare)
Check tire tread
Check under car for leaks
Check under hood hoses for cracks, wear, leaks.
Lube antenna w/silicon spray lube
If battery is over 5yrs old, think about a replacement
Clean MAFS, throttle body, and part load breather
Lube u-joints
Lube hinges and latches
Wash and wax body
Clean and waterproof convertible top.

Be sure to pack safety equipment:
functioning jack
flares or warning reflectors
basic tools
1st aid kit
jumper cables
maps
duct tape and bailing wire (really!)
tarp (for laying on)
rags
hand cleaner

Old 06-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should just be finishing running through Dan's list in time to take that trip next month...that is, if you are retired!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Geez dan all that, including the ever-important antennae lube job, hate for it to be only partially erect. No stone left unturned...lol

Old 06-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ABorealis
You should just be finishing running through Dan's list in time to take that trip next month...that is, if you are retired!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

No matter how thoroughly you've prepare.... You are best advised to pack a credit card.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Geez dan all that, including the ever-important antennae lube job, hate for it to be only partially erect. No stone left unturned...lol

Ya, I know, partially erect = bad.

The point is that with a 6k mile trip, you will be driving through rain, dust, road construction, mud, etc. This is a little more harsh than being parked in the garage and only driven to the masseuse with valet-parking on Saturdays.

The antenna lube, conv top clean & waterproofing, and body wax job are intended to be preservative. This stuff is a little spendy to fix when it wears out.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTexasDan
Ya, I know, partially erect = bad.

The antenna lube, conv top clean & waterproofing, and body wax job are intended to be preservative. This stuff is a little spendy to fix when it wears out.
A little spendy...I'd say a LOT spendy. This is a Jaguar we're talking about. NOTHING is within a "Normal" price range.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Just do the antenna switch mod and you won't need to lube the antenna so often. I don't like to go out in public with an erection unless I have to

Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

OK, a few questions:

1. In regards to the transmission fluid I've read other posts in which some people say changing it will cause problems, and other people say not changing it will cause problems. I'm thinking that changing it is probably better, but I don't want to go to the trouble of removing the 21 bolts, changing the screen, etc. Can I just suck it out through the dipstick?

2. What, specifically, am I looking for on the serpentine belt? It seems tight. I don't see any wear or chafing on it. I actually looks almost new. Beyond the visual check should I be using checking the tension in any certain way?

3. Since I'm going to be out west in 100+ degree heat, I think changing the coolant is a good idea. I've never done that before. How do I drain it? I know I could have them do it at Jiffy Lube, but I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy.

4. What does every suggest I use for waterproofing the convertible top?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

"I'm going to be out west in 100+ degree heat"

Sam, you coming to Phoenix? Let some of us AZ folks know in advance...maybe we could meet and have an ice cold, refreshing, delicious, frosty adult beverage together and compare Jag horror stories and swap some other lies.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:56 PM

Oh, and I have used Scotchgard on my fabric top. My Mustang had a vinyl top and I used tire shine from the $1 store....

Old 06-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by treetopdaddy
"I'm going to be out west in 100+ degree heat"

Sam, you coming to Phoenix? Let some of us AZ folks know in advance...maybe we could meet and have an ice cold, refreshing, delicious, frosty adult beverage together and compare Jag horror stories and swap some other lies.
We'll be in AZ, but I don't think we'll make it to Phoenix. We're going to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, but we'll be getting there via the back roads of eastern AZ. We're going through Las Cruces, then up through Silver City, NM and into Arizona We'll probably stay overnight in Eagar or Show Low. We're trying to stay off of the interstates and on the back roads. We're going to eat at the local places and skip the chain restaurants, and stay in the cheap motels so we can experience what traveling was like 50 years ago. At least, that's the plan. After one night in a cheap motel my wife might insist on Hampton Inns at a minimum. She's not big into roughing it.

I'm really looking forward to the north rim. I was there three years ago with my son. It is sooooo different than the south rim. We're staying in a cabin right on the edge of the canyon.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
OK, a few questions:

1. In regards to the transmission fluid I've read other posts in which some people say changing it will cause problems, and other people say not changing it will cause problems. I'm thinking that changing it is probably better, but I don't want to go to the trouble of removing the 21 bolts, changing the screen, etc. Can I just suck it out through the dipstick?

Our $5,000+ transmissions are supposed to be sealed for life. Jag's idea of "life" is 100k miles. I intend to keep mine well past 100k miles.

I'm sorry I don't have the instructions for your trans oil change (yours is the 6 speed right?). I have the MB 5 speed.

... and it's hard to suck the filter out through the dipstick tube.

2. What, specifically, am I looking for on the serpentine belt? It seems tight. I don't see any wear or chafing on it. I actually looks almost new. Beyond the visual check should I be using checking the tension in any certain way?

Look for fraying wear, cracking on the inside surface, missing teeth.
I will push on the belt between pulleys to cause the tensioner to depress. Then let go and see that the belt snaps back.

You really don't want to lose this belt in the middle of that Godforsaken desolate wasteland (dan ducks).

3. Since I'm going to be out west in 100+ degree heat, I think changing the coolant is a good idea. I've never done that before. How do I drain it? I know I could have them do it at Jiffy Lube, but I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy.

I wrote a drain and flush guide for my 2000. Should be similar to your 2003. I could send it if you wish.

4. What does every suggest I use for waterproofing the convertible top?

I use RaggTopp cleaner, then RaggTopp waterproofing spray. Some have used Scotchgard. Not sure which is better. I mask off all the windows and body with painters tape and newspaper.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTexasDan
You really don't want to lose this belt in the middle of that Godforsaken desolate wasteland (dan ducks).

I use RaggTopp cleaner, then RaggTopp waterproofing spray. Some have used Scotchgard. Not sure which is better. I mask off all the windows and body with painters tape and newspaper.
+1 on the Raggtopp. Excellent stuff and follow Dan's application plan. The stuff is hard to get off unwanted surfaces!

It doesn't hurt to pack an extra serpentine belt either, just in case.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 AM

"We'll be in AZ, but I don't think we'll make it to Phoenix."

Too bad. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip...and like the Harley guys say: 'Be safe and keep the rubber side down."

Quick Reply: Getting Ready for a Long Trip