XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a bad case of the shakes

Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Got a bad case of the shakes

Hi All,
Yesterday I took my car out for the first time since purchasing it in November, beautiful sunny day and I couldn’t wait any longer.
I did some maintenance items during the winter, new NGK Iridium plugs all round and a couple of new coils. New FEAD and supercharger belt along with new tensioners and pulley bearings. Cleaned the throttle body and intake tube
Flushed the cooling system and brake lines and added new oil and filter etc
Added the remote top control from White XKR and a few other items.
I was ready to roll.......
Everything ran fine for the first hour and then I started getting a severe misfire and pulled codes P0302, P0352 and P1316.
The vehicle runs like new for various distances from cold , but once stopped at a light or switched off it goes into “Restricted Performance” mode.
Once running in restricted mode the vehicle lurches violently on acceleration, so bad I thought it woud stall.
Once cooled down it started the same sequence again ran fine then misfires, I have added a can of injector cleaner today to see if that helps?
Has anyone had a similar experience and how was it resolved?
One other question, how far is it safe to drive in restricted mode, and will it do any damage to anything else if that range is extened?
I have been itching to drive it since November so hopefully it is nothing too serious!
Thanks,
Karl

Old 04-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

What is the reason you changed a couple of coils during the winter?

Go back and give the spark plug, spark plug well, coil and ignition wiring a close inspection...especially on cylinder A2. The connector latches on the coil connectors are brittle...could one or more have broken? If so, reseat the connector as tightly as possible and lock it with a dab of silicone adhesive. Could you have a bad seal on one of the spark plug o-rings from when you did the tensioner and the well is filling with oil?

It would not hurt to also reseat the throttle body connectors.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

"Lurches violently on acceleration" - Try accelerating gently. When my 2000 XKR goes into restricted mode, it cuts out at 3,000 RPM. If I accelerate hard it does cut out and lurch when it hits 3,000. If I just go easy and don't push it past 3,000 RPM, it drives nearly normally. It doesn't climb hills as briskly as when not restricted, but it is very drivable.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Bad case of the shakes

Re White XKR's question, I changed the #2 coil as I had the same code back in November and from what I read on the forum the coil was the most obvious problem.

No oil in the spark plug well on #2 plug and conectors are tight. I am fairly sure I have the correct location of #2 coil, looking from the drivers side of the engine it is the second from the left?

Is there a limit to the distance one can drive in the "Restricted Performance" mode?

Thanks,

Karl