XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a bump in the left rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Got a bump in the left rear

Still tracking down some of the issues with my coupe. On level, smooth pavement it rides and handles very well. Over anything uneven I get a persistant bump from the left rear. The car only has 47000 km on it though it's a 2002 XKR. Seems a bit early for shocks or bushings. I've done a good search of other threads and none seem to come close except for the mention of a tailpipe making contact????

BTW, I was convinced for a while that the spare was bouncing so I cushioned it. Then It seemed that it might be the jack tools hitting the spare wheel so I cushioned that too. No luck.

Any ideas Folks? Thanks

Old 10-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Did you give the exhaust a good inspection on that side?

The following users liked this post:
harvey_birdman (08-09-2013)
Old 10-29-2009, 01:47 PM

Going to try to get the car up this weekend. That's my first suspect.
Thanks

Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I'm going to give you another item to check. This happened to me once. I was pulling wheels off and getting them refinished... and on my last install of the left rear, it wasn't perfectly flush on the rotor hub. When I accelerated, I heard a 'bump", can only assume it was not snug, though the nuts were torqued. I cleaned and removed all surface rust on the hub and around the studs, then remounted the wheel. Make sure its dead on the studs, take your time.

Worth a shot.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

After cleaning up both the rotor/hub and rim mating surfaces I applied some copper based anti-cease to both. I had one heck of a time getting the left rear wheel off because it was frozen in place.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:01 AM

That's another good tip. I'm planning on pulling the wheels soon. Thanks. I should mention that it seems to be rough pavement related, no acceleration related. I have yanked on the wheel though because ya never know.

Just for laughs, I was filling up and noticed that my gas cap cover makes a very similar sound when you bump it so I figued I'd found it. Stuffed a sponge under it and no change. Darn!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Check the upper shock bushings. Age will tear those up.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:37 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi, I had pretty much exactly the same kind of annoying rattle in the rear of my 2000 XKR Coupe. I checked EVERYTHING in the rear and my independant mechanic also tried to find it.............all to no avail. One of the fellows on this forum suggested checking the Trunk Lid Adjustment Bolt as it may have been hitting wrong. I wasn't sure exactly which bolt that was, so I lubricated everything that would touch between the Trunk Lid and the Trunk as well as all the related weatherstripping. The result was immediate............that damn rattle was gone!!!!!! It barely started to return months later, so I applied the same lubricant with the same results.......no more rattle!
Hope this works for you too.
Regards,
Brian

Old 10-31-2009, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I had a left rear rattle in my 01 XKR and had to have the shock replaced.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink blahh

I can not so happily say i have had ALL of the above. My shocks were toast.. 1500.00 later for parts and a few hours of swearing got that fixed. Now i need to replace ALL 4 of my shock bushing/isolators. And i have that same damn crazy rattle in the trunk. I haven't tried lubing it up yet as i keep forgetting to do it. If i didn't have her paid off and i enjoy working on my own cars i would drive her off a cliff.

But like i always tell my friends having a jag is like having that beautiful supermodel. But when i go to bed, she is still in the garage :-)

Old 11-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Hi,
For me, I thought that it could have been any one of a dozen EXPENSIVE problems, but really, the lubrication fixed it completely...........
Brian

Old 11-03-2009, 04:03 PM

Brian2000XKR, I'm going to try your trunk lubrication next. I take it you never did nail down the exact culprit. I cannot see what exactly you lubricated???? The seal? The hinges?
Had it up on the hoist today. I cannot get the exhaust to touch but the rubber bushing on the rear muffler is elongated allowing some slop in the bushing that is not mirrored in the right exhaust. Possible culprit? Maybe but I'll need to drive in something into the elongated hole to take up the slack.

Wife (who has much better hearing) says that it goes away when the motor's been working hard (ie: hot and expanded exhaust?) Could not see a contact point nor recreate it by swinging and banging on the exhaust.

I found the emergency cable had a lot of slack in it and I could make it rattle but not at the low freq sound that I normally hear. I tried driving with the emrg brake taunt and dragging but sound is still there.

If you tap the closed fuel door with your hand, that is the sound. Sometimes it is multiplied as in a rattle but still the low frequency.
Thanks for all the tips though folks. I WILL RESOLVE THIS!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:35 AM

Hi,
Yes, the rattle sounds EXACTLY like the Fuel Door is making it. I tried putting a wash cloth in between it and the cap, but the noise persisted. I also had my wife drive around town aiming for bumps in the road with my 6'1" body in the back seat, ear up by the third light to listen to it. Yeah, quite a sight, I looked like I was trying to escape! I took the back seat out and I removed the spare tire and everything in the back. My mechanic had it up on a lift checking EVERYTHING underneath.

The culprit was the Trunk Lid area. Someone here said that it was the Trunk Lid Adjustment Bolt, but mine seemed to be OK if I was looking at the right bolt. I wasn't 100% sure, so I lubed everything in the back:

Weatherstripping,
Trunk Hinges
Trunk Latch
Trunk Lid Adjustment Bolt
Anything that made contact with something else

................AND THE RATTLE DISAPPEARED LIKE MAGIC!!!! Oh happy day, as I hate a persistent rattle!
Good luck,
Brian

Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

What do you use to lube the weatherstripping?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM

I think that possibly Gus (?) has done a lot of research on weatherstripping products, but I just used Gunk Silicon Spray. I can't say that it is the best product to use.............but it worked for me. I later tried the Aerospace 303 and that was when the rattle returned, so I went back to the Silicon.
Best,
Brian

Old 11-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I too have the same noise. I always thought it was the exaust hangers on the left as well but have not been concerned enough to do much about it. I will look into the trunk and see what I can find there. Oh, I have had the shocks out on the rear and the shocks, bushings, and even the foam dampers on the top were all in great shape.