Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Rides!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Default Great Rides!

What terrific roads have you traveled that you would recommend to others that were either great driving roads, or simply beautiful through which to drive, or that offered spectacular sights.
This past weekend,up for my niece’s wedding in an old barn on an older farm in Pescadero, California, we were staying the night in the closest inn at a tiny coastline town called Davenport about fifteen miles north of Santa Cruz. The only rooms in town, some quaint (read: small and very rustic) ones situated above one of the town’s two restaurants, provided us shelter for the night before the wedding. Since we didn’t have to be at the wedding until 3pm, I decided to look up the closest golf course and get a round in about 6am so that I could be done around 10am. I googled golf and Davenport, came up with Boulder Creek Golf about 18-20 miles away and headed off around 5:30am. My trusty navigation had me turning left about a mile south of our motel on a road named Bonny Doon, and for the next 30 minutes or so, I had the pleasure of driving the most beautiful, made for sports driving road I have ever been on. With majestic oaks providing a full canopy, towering redwoods lining the two lane blacktop and disappearing into the morning fog, I had the most enjoyable spirited ride ever. And that was in my land yacht, piece of c**p, SUV, the Buick Enclave. How I wish I had been driving my XKR or my Pantera. This 20 mile stretch of perfectly paved, perfectly banked, essentially deserted road was a nearly endless combination of “S” curves, hairpins, notchbacks, and short burst straightaways, verdantly surrounded by magnificent trees, ferns, and an occasional creek, with a sporadic ray of sunshine leaking through the veil of trees. At one point on Empire Grade Road a vista point offered a spectacular clifftop view of the Pacific Ocean and the surrounding forests, simply breathtaking. I ached to have a nimble, tossable sports car within my grasp, but with the roads so smooth and the banking so accurate even driving the “boat” made me feel like going for the apexes. Unfortunately, about half way through, a young buck lost its battle sometime earlier with an oncoming vehicle and lay mangled and motionless on the side of the road, but other than that what a fantastic morning jaunt to and fro, and one that I can’t wait to visit again with a proper sports car for some more actively involved driving. For any of you in the area or visiting, the route was from Highway 1 in Davenport (1 mile south of Davenport) to Bonny Doon Road to Empire Grade Road to Jamieson Creek Road and back. Just gorgeous!

Last edited by tberg; 07-29-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 07-29-2013, 02:10 PM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I have several roads in Western NC that I can choose from. They are all both beautiful just to enjoy as well as a little more "spirited" driving.

Except for the M6 in Cape Town, South Africa, the Blue Ridge Parkway has to be one of the most beautiful. But for a little more fun, we have highway 8 from Winston Salem to the Parkway, or 89 around Hanging Rock, or 66. Problem is.. which GT do I take?

And then there is my wish list..

The following users liked this post:
tberg (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

JSC,
Blue Ridge Parkway seems to consistently be on a lot of people's lists of great drives. Some time soon I'd like to get out there, sample some of the golf and the Parkway and enjoy both. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
JSC,
Blue Ridge Parkway seems to consistently be on a lot of people's lists of great drives. Some time soon I'd like to get out there, sample some of the golf and the Parkway and enjoy both. Thanks.
The last week of August we depart for Massachusetts via the blue Ridge Parkway...we plan for a week on the parkway.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Wisconsin Highway 42 in Door County. From Sturgeon Bay to the Ferry dock at Northport. Approx 40 miles of the most scenic roadway in the state. Most beautiful in summer or fall. Apple and Cherry orchards offer some tasty stops as well as great shopping.

Attached Thumbnails Great Rides!-800px-wisconsinhighway42curvy.jpg