Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Green Shower averted

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Green Shower averted

Hi all,

I was having some issues with my top and have just started replacing the hoses. As for the green shower, (as Maxwell Smart would say) missed it by that much.

I noticed a little green in the interior light and decided to, (as Barney Fife would say) nip it in the bud.

I have taken a lot of the interior out already but I am at an impasse.

How do you get the f#@king treadplate finisher off?

I have tried a razorblade and various other implements of destruction to no avail. As Han Solo would say, I have a bad feeling about this.

I do not want to destroy it (although that is still an option) but everything I have tried has resulted in another scratch.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated or, as Hannibal Smith would say, I love it when a plan comes together.

Thanks,
John

Old 05-11-2018, 01:16 AM
Received 201 Likes on 103 Posts

I did this just tonight, to run a backup camera wire to the rear of my XK8. Do you have a hair dryer? Turn it on high and work the heat around on the last 3"-4" of either end, then use a very thin chisel (or a knife edge) to begin to work the end up. Get the chisel up under the cover and just push it forward slowly but continuously as you work the heat further and further back. The softened glue will let go and allow you to push the chisel with only a little bit of resistance. Keep moving the heat back and forth as you go, and you'll have the treadplate cover off in just a couple of minutes.

The cover will be just a little bit bowed up on both ends when you get it off. Let it cool off, then straighten it gently and put it aside until you're ready to reattach it. Do not clean the glue off of it (or the treadplate). After you're through working and you've reattached the treadplate, heat up both the treadplate and the cover simultaneously as much as you can stand, then place the cover back in place. Use both hands as you 1), won't want to touch the hot cover very long, and 2), the cover won't want to slide around into place so get it right the first time. Immediately use a thick clean cloth to repeatedly wipe the cover, with pressure, from the center out to both ends until the glue cools off. Make sense? It will look like new!

Last edited by Redline; 05-11-2018 at 03:02 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Redline:
Jestocost (05-12-2018), Jon89 (05-11-2018), Junkyardjohn (01-25-2019), motorcarman (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline
I did this just tonight, to run a backup camera wire to the rear of my XK8. Do you have a hair dryer? Turn it on high and work the heat around on the last 3"-4" of either end, then use a very thin wood chisel (or a knife edge) to begin to work the end up. Get the chisel up under the cover and just push it lightly as you work the heat further and further back. The softened glue will let go and allow you to push the chisel with only a little bit of resistance. Keep moving the heat back and forth as you go, and you'll have the treadplate cover off in just a couple of minutes.

The cover will be just a little bit bowed up on both ends when you get it off. Let it cool off, then straighten it gently and put it aside until you're ready to reattach it. Do not clean the glue off of it (or the treadplate). After you're through working and you've reattached the treadplate, heat up both the treadplate and the cover simultaneously as much as you can stand, then place the cover back in place. Use both hands as you 1), won't want to touch the cover very long, and 2), the cover won't want to slide around into place so get it right the first time. Immediately use a thick clean cloth to repeatedly wipe the cover, with pressure, from the center out to both ends until the glue cools off. Make sense? It will look like new!
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but can you describe your backup camera system?

Old 05-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Received 201 Likes on 103 Posts

That would be a total hijack; let me take a few pictures and post under a new thread...