XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone probed resistances on the 2005 steering wheel switches?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:56 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Has anyone probed resistances on the 2005 steering wheel switches?

I am planning a nifty install of an Android-based entertainment unit in the '05 XKR this fall.

Years ago I planned and installed a Windows7 car-pc in a 1987 Thunderbird running Megasquirt, a Bauman transmission controller and HD radio as some of the highlights.

By the time I had it (mostly) sorted out, the times had changed and an entry level car was being shipped OEM with a more suitable interface than I was able to achieve.

That was then. NOW we have CHEAP, very powerful integrated solutions running on Android that are a snap to wire compared to the maze of wires I have in the Tbird.

I spent today scouring to see if I can keep any of the Alpine components already in the car. I can see my options revolve around the proprietary Alpine pass-through signals being sent between the radio, CD player and amp.

I'd LIKE to leave the speakers and amp in place if possible for now so I can concentrate on the radio install and dash mod. I haven't decided on a final course yet.

I will be able to map into the Android head unit all of the resistance values for the steering wheel controls, but I can't find values for the PHONE switch posted in any literature I have.

Does anyone by chance remember probing that switch to see if it is a resistance switch, or does it perhaps pass a digital signal or an absolute ground ?

Are the values listed in the 2003.5 manual the correct ones for my car?

I can find out for myself easily enough once I get to tearing into her, but for now I am just enjoying the car and planning my purchases.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers,
Jim

Old 07-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, I was reading the wiring diagram wrong. I found what I was looking for. In short, it looks like the phone 'hook/unhook' signal is the same as the track and mode resistance.

The signal is shared. I was thinking it was a separate deal.

Here is a teaser for what I have in mind. 7" HD touchscreen mounted just to the right of the left-hand GPS buttons, remote cabled to a single-din head unit in place of the stock radio.

BUT....... hidden behind the stock radio faceplate. The other option would be to mount the head unit as deep as possible to create a cell phone pocket. We'll see.

I'll see if I can move the right-hand map buttons to the left-hand spot and use them for maybe a forward looking parking camera, or whatever else seems like it would be useful.

The end product I'm shooting for will seamlessly bring phone, radio, stored music files, internet streaming, and nav, two cameras for backup and parking into a tidy package that won't look far from stock except for the larger, higher resolution screen and aftermarket mic, and will still use the stock steering wheel controls.

This development recently got me excited to not have to make my own cable.

Last edited by flylear45; 07-16-2017 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Other thoughts